2022 Ram Rebel 5.7 eTorque | Castrol Edge EP 0W-20 | 10,000 mi

Changed from M1 to Castrol Edge + Fram XG10060 filter.

UOA.jpg

Nice results. EDGE looks like they're using an Infineum add pack plus Ti. Viscosity is perfect. TBN reserve (although not important anymore).

I believe Castrol's Ti is proprietary and not Afton's...?

SA is .78.

PDS

1694775407178.png

Last edited:
^^ That is pretty clean oil with that low ash percentage.

The oil looks like it did fine but I can't help but notice that these ram's are copper shedder's based on this & BS averages. But you're still almost double the avg. You still have lower mileage so there's still some time for it to come down more. Thanks

^^ That is pretty clean oil with that low ash percentage.

The oil looks like it did fine but I can't help but notice that these ram's are copper shedder's based on this & BS averages. But you're still almost double the avg. You still have lower mileage so there's still some time for it to come down more. Thanks

Their averages are based on a 6,000 mile interval, 4.5/k vs 4.9 is pretty close. The copper is usually from the oil cooler.

non of the YouTube channels talk about the 5.7 anymore. I guess because its old, but that's always the one you want if you're going to keep it. they're probably about to kill it, so your truck will hold its value very well over the coming years.

non of the YouTube channels talk about the 5.7 anymore. I guess because its old, but that's always the one you want if you're going to keep it. they're probably about to kill it, so your truck will hold its value very well over the coming years.
It's one of the last of it's kind already, having a cast iron block and multiport fuel injection. Hopefully it'll last a long time, already swapped the ECM and according to my editor I've modified 6 switches, 43 scalars, and 196 tables 🤓. Next on the list is a set of headers, maybe a cam down the road. Still running the auto stop/start and MDS 😱.. it's not nearly as intrusive on the RAM as some of the other trucks I've rode in.

Last edited:

I couldn’t live with this engine and these Lab results showing so much metal in the oil. 😳😬😲

I guess I’m spoiled by single digit wear numbers from all my vehicles even up to 12k miles on the oil in past cars. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I couldn’t live with this engine and these Lab results showing so much metal in the oil. 😳😬😲

I guess I’m spoiled by single digit wear numbers from all my vehicles even up to 12k miles on the oil in past cars. 🤷🏻‍♂️
When you Compare it to the Averages it doesn't look so bad... :ROFLMAO:

I agree for the most part. But the average miles for UA is kind of an important metric that will only show in the comments.
The issue with UAs - we are not given information on the other samples, so we do not know if those values are derived from relevant examples.

The issue with UAs - we are not given information on the other samples, so we do not know if those values are derived from relevant examples.
BS has that information somewhere. I can't remember where I saw it, but they say that they only use healthy samples for Universal Averages. I'm guessing that means samples with no flagged (bolded) results. I'll see if I can find that.

BS has that information somewhere. I can't remember where I saw it, but they say that they only use healthy samples for Universal Averages. I'm guessing that means samples with no flagged (bolded) results. I'll see if I can find that.
That would be interesting to know.

That would be interesting to know.
Found it. It was actually discussed in their podcast. Here is a Facebook link (you don't have to log in) that shows a transcript of the question and answer:

Key words were "reasonably healthy" and "not a wear-in sample".

You cut off their comments. Did they happen to say how many miles the Universal Averages are based on? That will tell you how you compare to typical results for this engine.
They did, as covered in Post #4 the Universal Avg is based on a 6,000 mile interval.

Like those double digit lead numbers on that old Camry 😲
And double digit iron on the Mazda 🫣

Found it. It was actually discussed in their podcast. Here is a Facebook link (you don't have to log in) that shows a transcript of the question and answer:

Key words were "reasonably healthy" and "not a wear-in sample".
Nice find! So, that does add more depth to those averages used from "reasonably healthy" engines. Great info.. Thanks!

Back