2022 Ram Rebel 5.7 eTorque | Castrol Edge EP 0W-20 | 10,000 mi

They did, as covered in Post #4 the Universal Avg is based on a 6,000 mile interval.
Cool. So your copper numbers are nearly equal to universal averages. 4.9ppm per 1000 mi vs 4.5ppm per 1000. And the rest of the metals look below average. Nice. Looks like break-in is just about done.

Are you following the OLM to 10k or just going to 10k on your own?

Curious question, that's all.

Nice to see another positive UOA from a 10k interval on this engine.

Their averages are based on a 6,000 mile interval, 4.5/k vs 4.9 is pretty close. The copper is usually from the oil cooler.
Every time I read this about a 5.7 HEMI it scratches my eyeballs. Not a single version of the 5.7 HEMI has an oil cooler. Some have an aluminum coolant/oil heat exchanger right above the oil filter. It doesn't do much, but it can help with warming up the oil faster in colder climates.

So, then were does the copper come from in a 5.7 HEMI? It comes from the camshaft bushings, or call them bearings if you will. They have slight imperfections that causes them to shed copper over time. It's harmless.

Every time I read this about a 5.7 HEMI it scratches my eyeballs. Not a single version of the 5.7 HEMI has an oil cooler. Some have an aluminum coolant/oil heat exchanger right above the oil filter. It doesn't do much, but it can help with warming up the oil faster in colder climates.

So, then were does the copper come from in a 5.7 HEMI? It comes from the camshaft bushings, or call them bearings if you will. They have slight imperfections that causes them to shed copper over time. It's harmless.

Engine Oil Cooler - Mopar (4893309AA)​

🤷‍♂️

Engine Oil Cooler - Mopar (4893309AA)​

🤷‍♂️

This is the corect part for your truck, and it's not made of copper: 68271639AD

Mopar now calls it an Engine Oil Heater.

17071888119982942120684205392246.jpg

Do you know the part number for those copper bushings? I was responding to your statement of "Not a single version of the 5.7 HEMI has an oil cooler." I don't claim any expertise though the one I listed looks awfully golden inside for aluminium. ✌️
1000000626.jpg

Last edited:
I'd already been moved-up to a 0/5w30.
Or, if stuck on 0w20, drop down to a 7k OCI...... not one mile more.
Then re-evaluate right afterwards, sticking with a 20, or moving to a 30w.

I would do the next UOA at 7-8k, leave the old oil in, until the results came back on the UOA.
Then decide what oil - what viscosity and run it for how long.

Last edited:
The spec'd 0W-20 has been performing great at these intervals 🤷‍♂️. Quite happy to continue this regimen. Thanks for your opinion though. 🤠

Back