Weatherstripping door seals

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 10 days ago, when the temperature dipped in the NorthEast, I managed to shut myself out because of the icy door seals. Would like to prevent in in future.

Being a noob and not knowing how to maintain everything, many more things I will learn this way. So looked up on this forum as well as on the web. The door seals were dirty because of the dried leaves dust and the dust overall. I don't have air blower, so tried to clean it with water spray, didn't work that well. Used toothbrush, didn't work any better. Finally got the wet wipes and cleaned as much as I could, including the gutter below the rear window. (It will be great if anybody has better suggestion on cleaning this in future.)

Now the lubricating and sealing part, Two products stood out in my research, 303 Aerospace Protectant and Gummu Pflege but still unclear on their exact use. My goal is to protect the door seals and then lubricate them so that they do not shut me out for at least rest of the season. I wonder if either of these products will address both of these alone or need any additional product?

I have Turtle Wax Don't know why I got that, but can this be used here? (If not, what else, apart from waxing the car exterior, can this be used for?)
Also, would like to fix the gutter issue so that it remains clean. (Can it be waxed?)

Many thanks for all your suggestions in advance.

You could wax the paint side of the seals, eg where they meet the door. I would even go so far as to not rub it until clear... leave it thick and hazy.

I've used 303 on fabric, rubber windshield wipers, etc. Its a good product and would be good for your rubber door seals. Not familiar with the other stuff.

Another thought: way back in the 60's when the Beetles were so popular, they recommended using ordinary talcum power on the door seals. The powder is kind of slippery and might work well for you.

I have had success with spray on silicone lubricant. We have a climate that is often wet followed by deep freeze temperatures. Didn't condition my seals yet this year and the recent cold snap froze my pickup door seal to the door. When I opened the door the seal came with. So I had to contact cement the seal back to the cab and spray the silicone during the next warm spell.

The best results I have EVER had was using Wurth Silicone Lubricant.

About 14$ for a huge tube, but one application with this thick grease lasts for multiple years.

It is a bit messy, and I recommend applying it with rubber gloves on. It is too thick to apply with a rag.

It is best applied in the Summertime, as it is very thick and you want it to be as smearable as possible.

But, I just had the car iced completely over 2 days ago. And when I gently pulled on the handle to crack the exterior eggshell of ice, the weatherstripping didn't stick at all.

So it works very well, and lasts probably 3 Winters or longer.

Also, I regularly spray out my lock cylinders with WD40, and never have a problem with the locks freezing shut.

Remember, this is advice about freezing rain and ice from Quebec, where we get this problem all the time!!!

The silicon spray is good if you are only concerned about the door seal freezing problem.

There's another issue: seal noise. When you drive, the door is flexing and the seal will grab and move, grab and move, slightly. I've found silicone spray is very noisy (a lot of stiction). The Krytox (pfpe) type grease is extremely quiet; it seems to have almost no stiction. I personally can't say how it performs with freezing seals, and it's very expensive, so one usually applies it by putting a little on a piece of old workshirt and rubbing it into the seal, on a warm day. I've used Krytox 205 (grease). Maybe Krytox 105 (oil) would work for colder applications.

Sil-glyde and krytox are good. Is consider dry lubricant as well. Definitely clean the painted side where the gasket mates up.

I treated all my weather stripping with 303 Aerospace in December before our first ice and snow. The doors do still freeze to the weather stripping a little but they do not stick very hard at all and do not damage the rubber in the process of opening the doors.

As an alternative, A quick spray down with aerosol silicone spray, fluid film, ballistol or sil-glyde would would probably work even better. Fluid film is usually available locally in autozone, tractor supply or john deer stores. The aerosol version of sil-glyde is available at NAPA or can be ordered next day if not in stock.

Be careful, Fluid Film smells like wet mutt.

I use it and the smell gets to you, but only hangs around for 2 days max.

I hit the bleeders and the rubber caps with Fluid Film and they felt swollen 8 months later on inspection, so YMMV.

Be very careful what you use on your door seals, they are pricey to replace.

I have been unimpressed with 303 for door seals- too water soluable. Mostly I use meg's m40 and it works alright but the main reason is because its just easy. I keep a gallon jug around for interior detail and just take my used and saturated rag and give the seals a quick wipe after cleaning the jams.

Gummi Pflege has a great rep.
I bought a stick recently but still haven't used it, as we still haven't had any freezing weather yet...but as soon as I hear such a forecast I'd go ahead and use it.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Gummi Pflege has a great rep.
I bought a stick recently but still haven't used it, as we still haven't had any freezing weather yet...but as soon as I hear such a forecast I'd go ahead and use it.

A stick??

As I understand it, it used to be a stick, but was discontinued and now is a liquid, applied with a little sponge applicator.

Thank you folks. All replies are good. I would like to confirm few things / ask a few details, so that a noob like me does not end up doing some stupid mistake, costing even more to replace the seals altogether.

Originally Posted By: DoiInthanon
I have had success with spray on silicone lubricant.

Originally Posted By: qwertydude
Silicone grease is your best bet the thin spray on stuff will not last too long.

These silicone spray/grease are mentioned everywhere but nobody talks about exact product i.e. brand or link to the product itself. I have no idea if this is as generic as 'gas' and different brands of gas stations, so an explanation is greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Falken

About 14$ for a huge tube, but one application with this thick grease lasts for multiple years.

Are you talking the product at the end of This page? Where do you buy this? (Amazon, Walmart do not have it)

@spakard,
I will keep Krytox suggestion in mind. It IS rather expensive. I will try the other options suggested and if I notice the noise, I will consider this one fot future. My car is not new and this is all 'trial' car.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Sil-glyde and krytox are good. Is consider dry lubricant as well. Definitely clean the painted side where the gasket mates up.

Would like to confirm, you are talking about this product.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I use Vinylex on mine. Simmler to 303.

Originally Posted By: AMC

As an alternative, A quick spray down with aerosol silicone spray, fluid film, ballistol or sil-glyde would would probably work even better.

Again, thanks for all comments.

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
Thank you folks. All replies are good. I would like to confirm few things / ask a few details, so that a noob like me does not end up doing some stupid mistake, costing even more to replace the seals altogether.

Originally Posted By: DoiInthanon
I have had success with spray on silicone lubricant.

Originally Posted By: qwertydude
Silicone grease is your best bet the thin spray on stuff will not last too long.

These silicone spray/grease are mentioned everywhere but nobody talks about exact product i.e. brand or link to the product itself. I have no idea if this is as generic as 'gas' and different brands of gas stations, so an explanation is greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Falken

Are you talking the product at the end of This page? Where do you buy this? (Amazon, Walmart do not have it)

@spakard,
I will keep Krytox suggestion in mind. It IS rather expensive. I will try the other options suggested and if I notice the noise, I will consider this one fot future. My car is not new and this is all 'trial' car.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I use Vinylex on mine. Simmler to 303.

Originally Posted By: AMC

As an alternative, A quick spray down with aerosol silicone spray, fluid film, ballistol or sil-glyde would would probably work even better.

Again, thanks for all comments.

Correct on mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back