Toyota pink rubber grease vs Shin Etsu vs dielectric for Seals?

JHZR2

Staff member
For door and window seals… Old cars and new. I have all of these, not sure what the pros and cons of each might be.

Dielectric seems the thickest, hardest to warm in.

Shin Etsy seems to be used by Honda on all sorts of things. I think there was a very slight film of it on the window seals in my accord from the factory.

Toyota pink rubber grease would seem to make sense because it’s intended for… rubber. But the rubber in brake systems (what I believe it’s for) may be different and incompatible.

I know others will say gummi pflege, sil-glyde, 303, etc. but I’m looking for a heavier long lasting coating. I may soak them with 303 before… or at least wipe with a damp cloth.

Recommendations?

The pink rubber grease used for brake sliders doesn't seem to like moisture, at least that stuff turns to goo in there. Never had that issue with silcone grease

The pink rubber grease used for brake sliders doesn't seem to like moisture, at least that stuff turns to goo in there. Never had that issue with silcone grease
Interesting. I think I’ve read that it’s primarily intended for internal lubrication I think that’s why I bought some actually, iirc. When rebuilding calipers.

I didn’t realize it takes moisture.

Interesting. I think I’ve read that it’s primarily intended for internal lubrication I think that’s why I bought some actually, iirc. When rebuilding calipers.

I didn’t realize it takes moisture.

Yes they have 2 types with rebuild kits, one orange, one more pink. But both have japanese or korean instructions, so I never used them as I'm not sure what's what. However, the OE stuff in the boots turns to gunk, never found any grease inside calipers when rebuilding them.

Shin Etsu is designed specifically for your intended purpose. Why would you experiment?

Never said I was. I have multiple products.

If something is better for some reason I want to hear opinions. That’s why it is a discussion forum.

Yes they have 2 types with rebuild kits, one orange, one more pink. But both have japanese or korean instructions, so I never used them as I'm not sure what's what. However, the OE stuff in the boots turns to gunk, never found any grease inside calipers when rebuilding them.
You might not see grease. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t ever there.

You might not see grease. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t ever there.

exactly, but the calipers were binding and needed rebuilding. so no grease, not enough, bad quality etc... take your pick. I never had to rebuild them again after the first time though and that first time can happen really quickly, 1 or 2 years. But this topic isn't about brakes.

Shin Etsu is designed specifically for your intended purpose. Why would you experiment?

It's just a generic silicone grease that Honda already had in their global catalog, most any comparable product will work just as well.

As to using a Glycol / PAG or silicone compound instead? I don't think there would be any real benefit.

It's just a generic silicone grease that Honda already had in their global catalog, most any comparable product will work just as well.

As to using a Glycol / PAG or silicone compound instead? I don't think there would be any real benefit.
I actually wonder if the glycol could soften paint the way brake fluid can.

The European OEs(more so Mercedes) and GM have been calling for a special DuPont Krytox PTPE oil to resolve squeaks and other noise in convertible top seals and window runs. Mercedes, GM and VW is happy to sell you a small amount of Krytox GPL105 oil for a small fortune, you can find it on Amazon or eBay, Grainger and McMaster-Carr should also stock it.

I occasionally lube my seals with 303 Protectant or CRC food-safe silicone.

^ Anything that stays wet will attract dirt, but I mostly use Raybestos DBL-2T silicone paste and apply it in an extremely thin layer, and it's not all that dusty here, so it doesn't seem like there's much additional dirt buildup compared to what I'd get elsewhere on the vehicle.

Given the 3 choices, I'd use the shin etsu on the dense rubber, but a spray dry silicone on the foamy rubber door/trunk/etc panel seals.

Back