Fram Ultra vs K&N White

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a deal at AAP for VALVOLINE SYN or VALVOLINE NEXTGEN SYN and you get a K&N Oil filter at a very good price...

I have decided to use FRAM ULTRA from now on, but wondering what you all think about the K&N vs the FRAM ULTRA???

And this is NOT the black one.. This is the White one with the NUT on the top for easy removal.

So whats do you think is that smarter choice for a 2002 Honda Aoccrd V6

Thanks

I'm using K&N white can currently which I got in the PP offer last spring and there is no difference in the engine operation,that i could tell,vs the $3 Purolator Classic I used before.I would never pay the full price for it because it's ridiculous.

No experience here with FU.

Last edited:
Well for $29 for a K&N White and a JUG of 5 Quarts of Valvoline Syn Power or Valvoline NextGen Full Synthetic, I think that is a very good deal since the Oil Filter sells for 16.99 and the OIL alone at Wallymart is 26$

vy7bc7.jpg

Or

359gyo7.jpg

I mean is that a good deal??????????

Would you buy it??? and what would you chose? Nextgen or Regular Syn Power?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David1

I have decided to use FRAM ULTRA from now on, but wondering what you all think about the K&N vs the FRAM ULTRA???

Both are very good filters, so if you want the oil deal then use a K&N for that OCI. Use FUs later if you choose to.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Just did a friend's Chevy with the green bottle and K&N the other day. Sure looked cleaner than what came out! Kira

Just came back from AAP and they were OUT of the NextGen Full Synthetic, and only had 1 Jug of the Syn Power left 5W30 and I saw on the shelf that many of the K & N Oil Filters were gone but they had 1 left for my car

HP-1004

also why I was there I got a AC Delco PF61 for my Moms Trial Blazer LS V6 4.2
and the Only reason I got the AC Delco was it was less $ then the Drive Works.
The Drive Works was $4.99 and the AC Delco was $4.49 however the only reason I got the A/C Delco was it was NOT the E-CORE. It says AC Delco Professional and on the model number it says only PF61

So

Do you all think that was a good deal?

Hello, Just did a friend's Chevy with the green bottle and K&N the other day. Sure looked cleaner than what came out! Kira

Well the New Oil should of looked cleaner then what came out of the cars oil pan.

lol

I wonder if anyone has put any UOA

Not sure if this oil has been out long enough in the FULL SYNTHETIC FLAVOR

I wonder how they do that?

I mean I just dropped off about 15 gallons of USED OIL at AAP

There was brake FLUID and Tranny FLUID and Power Sterring FLUID in those plastic jugs to took to AAP

I wonder how VALVOLINE can make FULL SYNTHETIC out of that stuff.

I mean do they start with base Stock III or IV or V

I mean if its USED Oil to start off with, then how do they know?

Strange.

Well the New Oil should of looked cleaner then what came out of the cars oil pan.

lol

There was brake FLUID and Tranny FLUID and Power Sterring FLUID in those plastic jugs to took to AAP

Strange.

Here's a quote from Machinery Lubrication which may help:

Quote:
Group III base oils are greater than 90 percent saturates, less than 0.03 percent sulfur and have a viscosity index above 120. These oils are refined even more than Group II base oils and generally are severely hydrocracked (higher pressure and heat). This longer process is designed to achieve a purer base oil. Although made from crude oil, Group III base oils are sometimes described as synthesized hydrocarbons. Like Group II base oils, these oils are also becoming more prevalent.

So what makes a Group III base oil has more to do with the treatment of the feed stock than the feed stock itself. Crude oil has a more varied composition than used motor oil, so it's easier to re-refine the used motor oil. Once the refinery gets the fraction that it wants to make oil out of, it refines it, and through the use of hydroprocessing of various kinds, the desired base oil is made. The chemical composition of many molecules in the oil is actually changed through this processing, which is what distinquishes between Group II and III.

That said, I wish we had AAP out here on the left coast. I'd definitely buy that deal, in either bottle.

lol

Strange.

They re-refine it. All of those oils are made out of a petro base, all they need to do is remove the contaminates. The full synthetic they are using is re-refined group IIi.

Well for $29 for a K&N White and a JUG of 5 Quarts of Valvoline Syn Power or Valvoline NextGen Full Synthetic, I think that is a very good deal since the Oil Filter sells for 16.99 and the OIL alone at Wallymart is 26$

vy7bc7.jpg

Or

359gyo7.jpg

I mean is that a good deal??????????

Would you buy it??? and what would you chose? Nextgen or Regular Syn Power?

I just bought the NextGenSyn and the K&N filter but, I had a $10 off coupon from the AAP flyer(bringing the price to $19.99) and a $5 in store card for turning in a dead battery. Bought this OC special(after tax) for...$16.59.

I have a thread/concerns on the K&N filter, one page back. You may have seen it!

I used a K&N on the previous OCI in the Mazda. Probably the heaviest filter I've ever used for this car. Very thick can and base plate. I cut it open and it has a very unique double ADBV, the usual red silicone plus an internal valve that is spring loaded. Also, the bypass is a heavy duty coil spring, not the flimsy leaf spring type. Use with confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back