Peeling Paint on Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was washing our 2005 Ford Explorer today, and when I got to the roof I noticed some paint flakes all over the place. Then I noticed the spot in the pics below. It is roughly 1" x 3". I called the dealer we bought the car from (new) if it is something that they might do a goodwill repair (wishful thinking I know). They told me to come over to the collision center tomorrow and they will take a look at it.

It has been garaged it's entire life so far except for about 2 years total, the last 4 months being outside. And it is parked under a shady tree as well which covers it most of the day. It also only has 23k miles on it.

I dislike going to the dealer without knowing some stuff beforehand. Is this something that can be easily repaired? Also, does it look like a factory defect?...that paint looks really thin...

o5dv.jpg

uwib.jpg

I wouldn't hold your breath on them doing it for free. Chances are the whole roof needs to be painted. It never hurts to try. They tell everyone to big there car in so they can "take a look" Just make sure they don't charge you some kind of inspection charge.

If you purchased it new from them and its a garage queen and the rest of the auto is obviously well kept and clean, i see no reason that you couldnt.

Ask for some good will work (you will be buying there again right) ?

Ask for maybee free labor on the repair and you cover the cost of paint ?

Ask for a % off the totall repair bill.

Fact of the matter it is paint flaking off, if its happening here it could happen anywhere on the car as its likely the quality of the paint or the primer thats the problem.. ANY paint shop could color match and do that repair in a few hours.. the repair itself is not complicated or time consuming..

Its the big picture you need to look at, this gets repaired and how long before it starts happening elsewhere possably ?

its a 05 ? so it was likely produced in 04 or early 05 ? either way this auto is quickly marching towards 9 years old, expecting the dealer to do any kind of free work on something that old for nothing is unlikely.. esp if its out of warranty..

just my two pennies, it never hurts to ask them though and the worst you can get is a NO ! good luck.

It is absolutely a garage queen. It even still has the factory tires and battery.

I definitely don't expect a free repair, but like you said it can't hurt to ask. That is a good idea on the free labor if I pay for the cost of paint.

My 06 had paint peeling on roof also. I used the paint that came with my Explorer in the glovebox. I now have rust coming thru on the back right wheel well also. I would say--low quality paint!!

Judging from what you have shown it looks like an adhesion problem of the painted layer to the primer, I almost think since it looks very localized a foreign substance landed on the primer before paint, or the primer mix had contaminates in that specific area.

I would bet that they will give you a percentage discount on a respray but it won't be cheap at the dealer even with that.

I'd price a respray at a few independent body shops first and then see what the dealer will do.

Just scrape the loose paint off, wipe it clean, then hit it with some Plastidip spray in grey. It's only a roof. High up on an SUV, not that many people will see it or care.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
If you purchased it new from them and its a garage queen and the rest of the auto is obviously well kept and clean, i see no reason that you couldnt.

Ask for some good will work (you will be buying there again right) ?

Ask for maybee free labor on the repair and you cover the cost of paint ?

Ask for a % off the totall repair bill.

Fact of the matter it is paint flaking off, if its happening here it could happen anywhere on the car as its likely the quality of the paint or the primer thats the problem.. ANY paint shop could color match and do that repair in a few hours.. the repair itself is not complicated or time consuming..

Its the big picture you need to look at, this gets repaired and how long before it starts happening elsewhere possably ?

its a 05 ? so it was likely produced in 04 or early 05 ? either way this auto is quickly marching towards 9 years old, expecting the dealer to do any kind of free work on something that old for nothing is unlikely.. esp if its out of warranty..

just my two pennies, it never hurts to ask them though and the worst you can get is a NO ! good luck.

Sounds like a good idea. Doesn't hurt to try.
Its definitely a problem with the paint adhering to the primer. And if its doing that on the roof its only a matter of time before the rest of the paint starts doing the same thing.
If its truly a garage queen and a peach,and you will be keeping it indefinitely I suggest a new paint job. If the primer and paint are doing that on the roof the rest of the vehicle was done in the same manner with the same primer and paint so if there was a chemical failure there you can be certain its consistent on the rest of the vehicle.
Honestly,walk into the dealer,tell him you want the whole vehicle painted because this defect will be consistent on the whole vehicle and rather than chasing the problem when it arises on the hood next year,and lift gate the year after that you'd like to just nip it in the bud all at once. Ask if there is some kind of break they can give you because although you'd rather not re-paint its the only way to truly eliminate a further issue. Hint that when you trade it in,on you're next auto purchase with them it will help them with re-sale being newer paint,right.
That truly is your best bet. If a new paint job isn't in the budget then just spray the roof and hope for the best.
Dodge had a paint issue in 1995. My dads 95 ram's paint came off in one big sheet a week after delivery. Apparently for a 2 week period the primer they used wasn't compatible with the maroon paint,so every vehicle with that primer and only that paint colour had the paint lift and air could get under and take the paint off in a sheet,like paper almost.

Good luck. I had an '89 Mustang that peeled like that starting about a month after the 1 year paint warranty. In fact, I saw numerous Mustangs with the Medium Shadow Blue paint peeling starting at the edge of the roof. Ford had a lot problems with the paint on their pickups around that time frame. They were offering free paint jobs on the trucks, but nothing on the Mustangs. I went around and around with both the local dealer and corporate, who finally admitted there was a problem with the blue Mustangs, (after trying to blame me for improper care) but only agreed to pay 50% for a repaint.

I have several Explorers in my work fleet. One of the 2005 4.0 Flex in white started peeling about 3 years ago from the roof as well as the left rear quarter panel (now rusting). Also one very small spot on top of tail gate. Rest of the car looks perfect. I did a goggle search and found that it was not uncommon for that year and some started when still under warranty. Few it seemed got satisfaction. Looks to me (no expert) that paint is not bonding to primer? Why the roof and left quarter panel? I am stumped. Other than that this vehicle has 224,000 miles and still running strong. Two sets brakes and rotors. Third set plugs, first replacement set of shocks and struts. Drivers door handle replaced (broken..Besides belts and hoses, that is about it.

Flaking/peeling paint has been a problem with Ford's paint for a good while, and white especially. Their supplier is BASF.

Some Crown Victorias in police service had this covered by Ford, but private owners were told to go sheet in the hats. I'm sure the dealer will know about the issue even before you pull up in their lot.

I would definitely talk nicely to the service manager and see if they can make any arrangements for you, as OtisBlkR1 suggested. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
paint is not bonding to primer?

You hit the nail in the head.

I concur with the others that FoMoCo had problems painting their vehicles in the decade. Our old 05 Mountaineer had the paint peel from the driver's side rear wheel well and it eventually started to rust pretty badly. This was silver, too. I never noticed anything on the roof, though.

I had a Ford van I bought new in 1983, it was an 84 E-150 in black. The center of the roof was never painted it was primed and never finished. I took it back to the dealer, they sent it out to have the roof shot. They ended up caving in the roof when the scaffold they rigged to paint it collapsed on the van. They did me a favor, they had to replace the van because I wasn't settling for a repair job to the van. Their paint work sucked for a very long time it appears.

I stopped by the dealer body shop and it was a bust. He said it would be about $1050, and that's after discounting the labor some. He actually suggested to me that I should go to Maaco and that they should be able to do it for $150.

$1000 is definitely out of the question. Is there an effective way of stopping it from spreading? I noticed some suggestions like a rubber coating or touch up paint...are those effective?

Originally Posted By: thorromig
Touch up paint & keep fresh wax on it--good luck.

Exactly.

I was afraid the dealers discounted price would be stupid expensive... any decent indy shop could do this job in a few hours (and in my area) probably $300 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back