2015 Avalon low speed creaking

Our 2015 Avalon is making a creaking sound from the front of the vehicle when going over smoother bumps or undulations below about 25mph or when going slowly over speed bumps. It can also be heard when turning the steering wheel while stopped. The car drives fine otherwise.

I noticed a similar sound when we test drove the vehicle, and upon pointing it out, the dealer offered to replace both front struts prior to purchase. This was about 60k miles ago and I have a hard time believing the struts "went bad" in that short period of time.

I am wondering if the dealer perhaps only greased something instead of actually replacing the struts as they claimed (I didn't actually verify myself after purchase). Car was purchased with 90k, now at little over 150k.

Is there anything I can try lubricating to help with the sound, or am I looking at replacing the struts again? As I mentioned the car drives fine, it is just embarrassing to my wife when she is going through parking lots or leaving a friend's driveway.

Thanks.

I used to own a 2014 Toyota Avalon and drove the hell out of that car, the suspension on that car was great, no issues of any sort, it wasn't soft like my Lexus ES350 but no creaking noises of any sort.

if they used OEM struts and replaced everything else (strut mount, bellow, bump stop) I don't see the struts failing in 60k miles, unless they used cheap after-market struts.

Our 2015 Avalon is making a creaking sound from the front of the vehicle when going over smoother bumps or undulations below about 25mph or when going slowly over speed bumps. It can also be heard when turning the steering wheel while stopped. The car drives fine otherwise.

I noticed a similar sound when we test drove the vehicle, and upon pointing it out, the dealer offered to replace both front struts prior to purchase. This was about 60k miles ago and I have a hard time believing the struts "went bad" in that short period of time.

I am wondering if the dealer perhaps only greased something instead of actually replacing the struts as they claimed (I didn't actually verify myself after purchase). Car was purchased with 90k, now at little over 150k.

Is there anything I can try lubricating to help with the sound, or am I looking at replacing the struts again? As I mentioned the car drives fine, it is just embarrassing to my wife when she is going through parking lots or leaving a friend's driveway.

Thanks.
probably the rubber bushing in the suspension... can try spraying them with silicone spray or else just turn up the radio.

Are you certain it's the suspension?

I had a similar sound that was only evident when the suspension/tires were dry.
In wet weather, there was no noise.

Turns out, @CapriRacer mentioned the tires and sure enough, it was something with the shape/style of mounting surface that caused the noise.
Once they were replaced, no more noise.

I used to own a 2014 Toyota Avalon and drove the hell out of that car, the suspension on that car was great, no issues of any sort, it wasn't soft like my Lexus ES350 but no creaking noises of any sort.

if they used OEM struts and replaced everything else (strut mount, bellow, bump stop) I don't see the struts failing in 60k miles, unless they used cheap after-market struts.
It has been a great car and you are right about the firmness of the suspension. It is slightly stiffer than the suspension of my father ES350 of the same year. I prefer the stiffer suspension myself.

I have not pulled a wheel of yet to take a look. Not sure what brand is oem but should hopefully be easy to tell.

probably the rubber bushing in the suspension... can try spraying them with silicone spray or else just turn up the radio.
I will take a look when I can pull a wheel off and try spraying with a little WD40. It pry can't hurt to try.

Are you certain it's the suspension?

I had a similar sound that was only evident when the suspension/tires were dry.
In wet weather, there was no noise.

Turns out, @CapriRacer mentioned the tires and sure enough, it was something with the shape/style of mounting surface that caused the noise.
Once they were replaced, no more noise.
TBH, it is the wife's ride, so I have not had a chance to test all scenarios. I will ask her if she has noticed any difference in wet weather.

I know the car does seem to wear the front tires quickly, although evenly. Attributed it to her being pretty hard on the brakes.

I had creaky ball joint once that sounded similar. It creaked while turning the tires slowly too.
I did not even consider that one. Have always heard popping with worn ball joints.

Will definitely keep that in mind as something to check for any excessive play. I don't recall seeing zerk to pump any grease into them on this car.

Back