Do you recycle you oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you change your own oil do you Recycle your oil filters? Yes or No, be honest. I do not, mainly because I don't know where it is free to do so. I take my oil to Autozone and they even pay for used oil 20 cents per qt, but they do not take filters.

We have a service in our town that will collect hazardous materials once a year from your home. I put the used filters in a box and they take them no problem.

O'Reilly Auto Parts sometimes has sponsors who trade used oil filters for new oil filters. Call O'Reilly and see if they have any sponsorsed oil filter trade events soon. This encourages people to save up their used oil filters instead of improperly dumping them.

At work we have been told if you drain it while hot it then becomes ordinary trash. If cold then it is considered hazardous waste. Not sure who actually defined this though.

Once drained, oil filters shouldn't be any more polluting than the oily rags or paper towels used to clean up your messy oil change. Just putting things in perspective.

We did in Virginia at the local "convenience center", aka dump.

Haven't located a place that takes them here in our rural area...yet.

For me it is effort, we have no Oreilly or Walmart here, and the dump takes them but there is always a hour (yes hour) line for the toxic dumping day. And the thing that chaps me is there is a lot of metal in these filters, they can just toss them in the shmeld and end up with a good metal for general purpose. Seams like there are only a couple of us not doing it, so yawl convinced me to call my recycling center and hold them for the collecting day.

If you begin draining them while hot and continue to drain for 24 hours, federal law says it's no longer hazardous waste. Many municipalities including mine say you can toss them in the trash after a good 24 hour drain. I pack them in paper towel in the box the replacement filter came in then enclose in a plastic shopping bag.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: sammy
do you Recycle your oil filters?

Yes. My local O'Reilly takes them. From what I understand, Walmart does too.

same deal here

I know in delaware, they collect them at county recycling sites. I've been lazy and generally thrown them away, but really ought to drop them at our town collection site.

At our county dump, there is a shed with a tank for used oil. The entire top of the tank is a drain pan, (tank probably holds 300 gallons). At one end of this pan is a rack where you can leave your filters. The idea is that you place them there so they drain into the pan and thus into the tank. What they do with them after that, I have no idea. I throw mine into a five gallon bucket and leave them there till I'm ready to take a trip to the dump and place them on the rack. I don't know what the max filter allowance is, but one time I had like 12-15 filters and the guy got onto me. But I told him these were from many oil changes over time, (I think he thought I was bringing them from a shop). He finally let me put them all there but warned me "not to do it like this again."

I bring mine to Pep Boys or any quick-change place.

By law they have to take the oil. I let the filters drain into an old milk jug until I have 3-4 then bring them and whatever oil I have to those places.

Been doing this for decades and never had even a hint of pushback.

It's much simpler here I guess...The small indy garage near my house has a big 55 gallon drum for recycling old oil filters. I just store my old filters in an old plastic cat litter container and when it gets full I stop by the indy garage and they let me dump my filters in with all of theirs. No charge, no waiting in any lines, no getting chewed out by anyone and no legal issues to worry about. Before I started taking my old filters to the indy shop, I took them to Tires Plus. They also let me dump my filters in their filter recycling drum for free, no questions asked.

I also use the big 14 pound plastic jug-type cat litter containers to pour my used oil into. One oil change for my truck and one for my wife's car will fill up the jug. I have been taking my used oil to the local AAP for years. I bring the cat litter container back home with me and toss it in my recycle container here at home. The city garbage guys pick up my recycling and garbage once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back