Best Sleeper/Bang for $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: fauxchemist
Motul (doesn't get much love around here)

It's far from cheap.

Hey Clevy,

In your opinion do you think Motul has any of an edge over Mobil 1?

It's far from cheap.

Hey Clevy,

definitely not cheap, nor is it readily available. I said mobil super earlier because it is great, cheap and everywhere.

I see a few votes for havoline. I agree that it is also a very good conventional, but much harder to come by up by me. havoline is pretty much sold only by advance auto in the northeast. they get $5/qt or $23.99 for a 5.1 qt jug. they had an $18.99 5 qt with driveworks filter special this month, so i picked it up. still needed 2 more qts because my trailblazer takes 7. that makes $28.99. mobil super 5000 from walmart, with the same filter would have been $25.28.

Originally Posted By: salv
definitely not cheap, nor is it readily available. I said mobil super earlier because it is great, cheap and everywhere.

I see a few votes for havoline. I agree that it is also a very good conventional, but much harder to come by up by me. havoline is pretty much sold only by advance auto in the northeast. they get $5/qt or $23.99 for a 5.1 qt jug. they had an $18.99 5 qt with driveworks filter special this month, so i picked it up. still needed 2 more qts because my trailblazer takes 7. that makes $28.99. mobil super 5000 from walmart, with the same filter would have been $25.28.

My Walmart sells it.

Lets see

1. QSUD FAR (currently active)
2. G-Oil (when its FAR)
3. Pennzoil Platinum when its $20 + 10 shell gift card
4. Pennzoil Yellow Bottle + Purolator Classic $8 including tax Pep Boys every black friday (call that $1/QT)
5. Ditto above with Castrol GTX
6. Ditto Above with Quaker State
7. Costco Chevron Supreme $2/QT (similar specs to PYB)

I max out at $1/QT see no reason to spend more than that. Chevron at $2QT is decent if you're desperate.

It's far from cheap.

Hey Clevy,

Oh. Tough one. That would be application dependent. For example my Harley. I put a new cam and bigger jugs and pistons last year. I tried Mobil v-twin 20w-50 and their 15w-50 and the top end noise with both of those oils was so bad I thought something was broken. A friend had some motul 10w-60 and the top end was instantly whisper quiet.
I'm not saying that there was more wear with the Mobil but there was certainly more noise,which wasn't there before.
Motul makes some great oils,but they are priced out of my league but I wouldn't hesitate using them in an application that called for a grade they make.
I'm not a Mobil 1 fan at all. Every time I used there products I had noise and consumption issues. My last oil change I decided to give their AFE a shot in my hemi. Looks like they got the noise and consumption issues figured out because my high mile hemi isn't consuming any and no additional noise. And the 0w-40 is the most certified oil on earth.
Choosing between them is easy as far as my Harley goes,motul all the way however it is completely application dependent.
If I had an engine that called for a 40 grade the Mobil 0w-40 is tough to beat but I wouldn't hesitate using motul either.

Chevron Supreme conventional at Costco. Twelve x 1 qts. for around $30 is a good value.

As for sleeper oils, any from Warren like Peak, Mag1, or Supertech.

Originally Posted By: gregoron
Chevron Supreme conventional at Costco. Twelve x 1 qts. for around $30 is a good value.

As for sleeper oils, any from Warren like Peak, Mag1, or Supertech.

It's like $25 right now

Originally Posted By: RamFan

My Walmart sells it.

Our Walmart sells Havoline as well. Not only is it cheaper then the Mobil Super 5000 we were using,Havoline is holding up better as well.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Originally Posted By: RamFan

My Walmart sells it.

Our Walmart sells Havoline as well. Not only is it cheaper then the Mobil Super 5000 we were using,Havoline is holding up better as well.

How's/why is it holding up better?

I don't see Motul filling the "Bang for the Buck" requirement. It's great oil, though.

The farm stores around me have sales very often for Trop Artic for $2/qt. That would be my pick for bang for the buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back