Alternative to HU 718/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 3 of these in my stash so it's not like I need to run out and buy more, but when I look for alternatives, I see FRAM and Purolator Classic.

The FRAM says 95% efficiency. The Purolator Classic I presume is 97.5% efficient.

But there is no Pure One equivalent. Is this because the OEM specs do not allow for something too efficient in order to make the extended drain?

that also crosses to a wix #57078 and it lists the media as synthetic. it didn't list any filtration specs.

There is also Hengst W0133-1632767 and Bosch W0133-1632731 (72204WS, I think).

None of them are any cheaper than the OEM Mann, in my experience.

Originally Posted By: MarkStock
I've got 3 of these in my stash so it's not like I need to run out and buy more, but when I look for alternatives, I see FRAM and Purolator Classic.

Mark Stock - Why would you ever leave the OEM HU 718/5? It doesn't make sense. The filter is cheap at places like Amazon, $8.50 to $10.50 (their prices vary day to day). Even the OEM Mercedes Branded one can be bought for $12-$15.

The Fram should not be used. It is not synthetic media. It will not support the 10-13k mile changes that Mercedes allows. Furthermore, even at shorter changes, I have seen videos these filters collapsing causing the oil filter housing to leak.

The Wix might be ok because the one Wix I saw once was actually the Mann filter rebranded. However, because it was really a Mann that Wix had to buy from them, it was $16! Way more than Mann and more than Mercedes branded filter.

It simply makes no sense to not use the Mann filter or Mercedes genuine filter.

Honestly, considering the cars that use the HU 718 /5 filter, $9-$10 once a year, is that really too much to pay? That is a bargain if you ask me.

It's not often in life you can buy the best product at the lowest price. This is one of those cases.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ayrton

I would agree. Although it wasn't clear from his post whether he was looking to find a cheaper alternative or something with better filtering efficiency.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Ayrton

I would agree. Although it wasn't clear from his post whether he was looking to find a cheaper alternative or something with better filtering efficiency.

Yeah, I got that suspicion too (might want better filtering). I wouldn't worry about trying to find better filtering though. I'd rather have this super sturdy OEM construction.

Furthermore, the Oil Analysis from cars that use this filter seem to show no issues whatsoever.

The FRAM says 95% efficiency. The Purolator Classic I presume is 97.5% efficient.

But there is no Pure One equivalent. Is this because the OEM specs do not allow for something too efficient in order to make the extended drain?

The Purolator Classic alternative to the 718/5 is actually a de-branded Mann 718/5. I used to pick these up whenever I got a Purolator Classic filter free w/ an oil change deal, at least when it was allowed.

I do believe that the Mann Hummel Group owns Purolator.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommersyip

The Purolator Classic alternative to the 718/5 is actually a de-branded Mann 718/5. I used to pick these up whenever I got a Purolator Classic filter free w/ an oil change deal, at least when it was allowed.

I do believe that the Mann Hummel Group owns Purolator.

You appear to be 100 percent correct.

Unless there is some special though, the problem once again with not getting the Mann...the price. These other companies buying them from Mann and reselling seems to really jack up the price. I saw $17 for the Purolator version.

$17 is more than Mercedes OEM branded filter, MSRP $15 for it, some places have it cheaper, I bought one for less than $12. and of course the Mann can be had for $9-$11.

Nevertheless, tommersyip you have provided great information to all potential users of these filters. Should anyone ever be in a pinch, we now know the Purolator is also the OEM Mann filter! I appreciate that!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back