Dielectric Grease for spark plugs

Hey guys... Simple question, where exactly should dielectric grease be placed when replacing spark plugs? Do you just smear some on the terminal nut on the very top? Or do you rub a light coat around the entire top insulator?

sparkplug_anatomy.jpg

I usually just put some on top to aide in the connections. I suppose it would make sense to use some on the ceramic...

i use a q tip or something to put just a little around the inside of the boot, then try and not get any on the tip or electrode. i should probably just put a little on the outside of the plug and slide it on

I take a dab "size of a piece of rice" and put it on the end of a small flat blade screwdriver and smear it around the inside of the boots. It works great. If you use more it's just a waste and will just be pushed out of the way. This seals the boot/terminal from moisture/water intrusion.

I just wipe it all around the insulator and terminal, then put a dab inside the boot itself and then put it on, I've never had a problem with my plugs.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
i just squirt some, for lack of a better term, from the tube into the coil boot / spark plug wire boot.

+1

I probably use a marble size squirt for each boot

Last edited:
I squirt some in the boot, and use a Q-Tip to spread it around. Don't forget a light coat of anti-seize on the threads. Make sure it does not get on the electrodes.

Dave

In this case its not to protect the electrical connection against corrosion, but to prevent the boot from getting stuck on the plug. I am +1 on a tiny amount on the inside of the boot and spread with Q-tip.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I take a dab "size of a piece of rice" and put it on the end of a small flat blade screwdriver and smear it around the inside of the boots. It works great. If you use more it's just a waste and will just be pushed out of the way. This seals the boot/terminal from moisture/water intrusion.

THIS.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123

This^^

Originally Posted By: Deltona_Dave
I squirt some in the boot, and use a Q-Tip to spread it around. Don't forget a light coat of anti-seize on the threads. Make sure it does not get on the electrodes.

Note that some spark plug manufacturer's advise NOT to use any kind of coating on the threads. From Denso:
Denso Spark plug installation page
Dielectric on the insulator / wires is always a good idea though!

I squirt a blob the size of a dried pea on the side of my left index finger, then roll each plug to make a circular coating around the nut, then again around the corrugations. The circle around the nut is to inhibit corrosion, and the circle around the corrugations keeps water out and allows the rubber boot to release down the road. One dried pea's worth will usually do 6 to 8 plugs. I do this wearing gloves even if I wasn't already wearing them because it's a pain cleaning it off of skin.

very light coating on insulator portion that contacts with wire boot (around corrugations) being sure not to get any on the terminal nut.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
How does it hurt the terminal nut?

In referring to "terminal nut", I believe he is saying to keep it off ourselves......Bitogers as a group are "terminally ill nut cases?"
lol.gif

I imagine because dielectric grease inhibits the passage of electricity, gooping it on the terminal connection might cut down on electrical conductivity? However, this is a point of argument also, as many think the grease is pushed away from the contact points.....I'll let you guys engage in this academic discussion.

Back