Do you trust spark plugs from Amazon to be authentic ?

Do you trust spark plugs from Amazon to be authentic ?

I need to replace spark plugs on 3 Hondas and a Mazda and don’t want counterfeit parts.

Should I just go to Auto Zone or AAP for Denso / NGK ?
I think if you have to ask, you'll never sleep at night even if they are authentic. Just go elsewhere for peace of mind.

Any purchase online could be a gamble. Try supporting your local businesses. I like to shop my local NAPA auto or O’Reillys. It’s also nice they honor military/veterans with a discount
I like the idea of supporting local but….I recently put a 4 seasons blower motor repair kit in a Fusion. Motor, resistor and pigtail harness were $100 on Rock Auto or $350 from Napa. Buying the parts from Rock Auto I was able to do the whole job for less than what the person would have paid to buy parts from Napa and do the labor themself.

That supported me and I’m local 🤷‍♂️

I generally go with rockauto for plugs, but if they were shipped from/sold by amazon I'd have no issues buying them there (and have in the past). IMO the whole counterfit plug thing is blown way out of proportion, but if its on ebay or a 3rd party seller on amazon and the price is to good to be true it probably is.. For whatever reason a lot of folks on BITOG would have you believe that every single auto part on amazon, to include oil filters, is suspect.
And some folks on BITOG exaggerate or use hyperbole to make a point or promote their opinion.

I like the idea of supporting local but….I recently put a 4 seasons blower motor repair kit in a Fusion. Motor, resistor and pigtail harness were $100 on Rock Auto or $350 from Napa. Buying the parts from Rock Auto I was able to do the whole job for less than what the person would have paid to buy parts from Napa and do the labor themself.

That supported me and I’m local 🤷‍♂️
Hey I am with you, if I could do a repair myself and save bucks while doing so on parts & material I am 100% for that as well. I’m not sure if a big box store as O’Reillys would do so but if I’m not mistaking NAPA stores are independently owned if that being said is true if you show them a competitor price they may work with you.

I’ll break this to you there’s heavy mark up on parts. We have our own fleet shop at my place of employment and we just about 99% exclusively use NAPA auto with that being said I can purchase for myself and take advantage of my employers cost let’s say it’s 60-65% off.

I'd trust Amazon more than Ebay or RA. Reason being if I suspect a problem I'm reasonably sure [99%] AMZN will make right a lot easier than the other two will. JMO Having said that I use NGK plugs and buy them directly from NGK, no problems to report.

I ordered everything from AAP and used 20% off Black Friday discount code…. plus $5 off since I’m a new Speed Perks member.

I paid $8 for delivery and a Door Dash driver left them in my mailbox. I didn’t know Door Dash was contracted to deliver small orders.

Much easier than expected, I ordered online and an hour later it was delivered. (y)

Last edited:
Ford Racing sells through Amazon. My 2018 F150 plug rec has gone through a couple of revisions, and when I was researching I discovered that the original was actually still available as a Ford Racing product. Only way to get them with free shipping was through the Bezos Online Flea Market. I was still hesitant enough that I bought whatever the newest Motocraft replacement was at AAP.

I used speed perks and an additional code, or use the leave it in the cart for 2 days trick and got all 6 for about 30$

Some people say "oh, counterfeit is overblown", but it definitely isn't with Motorcraft. It's quite abundant.

Ford Racing sells through Amazon. My 2018 F150 plug rec has gone through a couple of revisions, and when I was researching I discovered that the original was actually still available as a Ford Racing product. Only way to get them with free shipping was through the Bezos Online Flea Market. I was still hesitant enough that I bought whatever the newest Motocraft replacement was at AAP.

I used speed perks and an additional code, or use the leave it in the cart for 2 days trick and got all 6 for about 30$

Some people say "oh, counterfeit is overblown", but it definitely isn't with Motorcraft. It's quite abundant.

Ford Tech Makuloco talks about the counterfeit parts he’s been seeing.

I only want to do the job once with quality parts, not saying everything on Amazon is counterfeit.

Agree. That's why I went with the AAP plugs, even though I'd like to have had originals (which are not stamped with the original number, but now have a Ford Racing {which is still Motorcraft} part number)

I just wasn't taking a chance through Amazon and I wasn't paying 15$ a plug after shipping, which is what it would have cost from Ford Racing not fulfilled by Amazon.

I just went Honda dealer picked up plugs on friends account at discount and thought nothing of it. They last 105k miles at least on Honda V6.

If you have to ask move on…

Yep and not left wondering what you bought for a IMHO a one to two time replacement part.

The 3 plugs against firewall are not fun ….
I can say I have never been left wondering. I usually get the twin tip Denso's now. My Gen Coupe came with a Hyundai part twin tip. Got a couple sets of them online with no problems. Don't know if counterfeits go that far. But change them at 50k miles anyway usually. Previously it was Motorcraft pt plugs usually. Few 100k miles on them.

Back