Need an oil recommendation for Chevy Cruze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
So, when you ask for advice, tell us about your car! The more details, the better. Here are the essential points:

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
3. Where you live
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
6. Whether your car has any known problems

If you have any preferences -- synthetic vs. conventional, store-bought vs. ordered online, how long you'd like to go between oil changes, etc. -- or any other info you think might be important, let us know that as well.

Once again, the more details, the better. BITOG loves a good oil recommendation thread, especially when you give us a lot to work with.

Per the above, I need a recommendation for oil. Those who recognize my screen name will know I've been through enough automotive experience to rebuild a Jag V12 motor and then some. I don't work as a mechanic, but I've gotten more than just my hands dirty on hundreds of occasions.

1. What kind of vehicle you have - The car is a 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco MT, with the 1.4L Turbo motor

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well - DEXOS1 oil, or 5W-30.

3. Where you live - Chicago suburbs

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) - I drive to optimize fuel economy. I very rarely exceed 2500RPM. I typically shift at 2000 into 2nd, 1700 into 3rd, and 1500RPM from there on. 95% of my driving is done under 1700RPM with an average speed of ~31mph. My lifetime FE is 38.9mpg with over 80% city driving if that gives you an indication of how I drive this car.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) - 27 miles round trip to work and back without hitting the highway. Over 80% in-town driving, averaging ~31mph. 11 miles round trip to church and back a couple of nights a week, and occasional grocery shopping or trips to nearby stores.

6. Whether your car has any known problems - the car has 4000 miles, so no.

The reason why I'm posting is because the car has 4000 miles on it with the factory oil, and the last test someone did on this oil noted that it was nearly ready to be changed at 5,000 even though the OLM recommended a change at 10,000, with full synthetics like Mobil 1 being more reliable for use according to the OLM's recommendation.

I would appreciate a recommendation for motor oil. I've looked at Royal Purple but I'm doubting it's merit. I've also read many conflicting reviews about it, so I figured I'd ask here. I do have Pennzoil, Mobil, and Valvoline available to me at local auto stores.

Thanks!

Last edited:
1) Meets spec ie Dexos1
2) 5w30 weight
3) Whatever is cheapest / easiest for you to get
4) Preferably full synthetic

And yes I would change it sooner rather than later. I don't like the idea of the first fill being subject to the OLM. Some manufacturer's have first oil change at 5000 miles then every 10000 after that which makes more sense in terms of break in.

Last edited:
Are there any specific Synthetic oils that test better than others or have proven wear protection or extended life, or will any full synthetic by Pennzoil, Mobil 1, or Valvoline work well?

I understand these may be elementary questions, but I've read through at least 5 pages of posts in this section and haven't seen a conclusive answer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: XtremeRevolution
Are there any specific Synthetic oils that test better than others or have proven wear protection or extended life, or will any full synthetic by Pennzoil, Mobil 1, or Valvoline work well?

I understand these may be elementary questions, but I've read through at least 5 pages of posts in this section and haven't seen a conclusive answer.

It is not elementary because it terms of engine life either changed at a reasonable frequency protect the so close to the same no-one can prove one is better than the other.

Beyond the right spec and weight and synthetic, there might be an argument that you should go for the one sold / recommended by the manufacturer as they will have most closely matched the characteristics of the oil to the engine.

Mercedes recommend M1 0w40. Ford recommend their own Motorcraft 5w20 (made by Conoco Phillips). Toyota have a very thin 0w20 (made by Mobil). GM have their own Dexos oil right?

The only reason not to believe this approach to choosing might be if you hold the conspiracy theory that they don't want your engine to last too long.

Your driving pattern is not out of the ordinary, and in fact is quite good in that you do 13.5 miles one way each day which takes you 27 minutes. That's enough time to heat the oil to remove moisture out of it and the engine. So you are not being particularly tough on the oil or engine. Only the turbo would create extra heat, but you say you are quite gentle with the revs (but that's why synthetic is a good idea for you nonetheless).

That driving pattern is another reason why trying to find an oil more suitable for your needs would be overkill. Others on this forum have particular circumstances that make them search for the right oil, or they don't but are just incredibly anal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedCorvette
There is an argument that you should go for the one recommended by the manufacturer as they will have matched the characteristics.

Eg Mercedes recommend M1 0w40. Ford recommend Motorcraft 5w20. GM have their own Dexos oil right?

The only reason not to believe this might be if you hold the conspiracy theory that they don't want your engine to last too long.

Or the guy who actually sent in his Dexos1 oil and discovered that it would certainly not make it to the 10,000 miles that the OLM recommended.

See post #7:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-chevrol...y-fill-oil.html

Last edited:
M1 5-30 will meet all of your spec's and is easy to find. Since you know Jags, do you know of Jon's Jags in southern Illinois?

Originally Posted By: RedCorvette
Beyond the right spec and weight and synthetic, there might be an argument that you should go for the one sold / recommended by the manufacturer as they will have most closely matched the characteristics of the oil to the engine.

Mercedes recommend M1 0w40. Ford recommend their own Motorcraft 5w20 (made by Conoco Phillips). Toyota have a very thin 0w20 (made by Mobil). GM have their own Dexos oil right?

The only reason not to believe this approach to choosing might be if you hold the conspiracy theory that they don't want your engine to last too long.

Your driving pattern is not out of the ordinary, and in fact is quite good in that you do 13.5 miles one way each day which takes you 27 minutes. That's enough time to heat the oil to remove moisture out of it and the engine. So you are not being particularly tough on the oil or engine. Only the turbo would create extra heat, but you say you are quite gentle with the revs (but that's why synthetic is a good idea for you nonetheless).

That driving pattern is another reason why trying to find an oil more suitable for your needs would be overkill. Others on this forum have particular circumstances that make them search for the right oil, or they don't but are just incredibly anal.

I actually misworded myself. I meant to say 27 miles each way. It's 54 miles round trip. I guess that drives your point even further.

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 5-30 will meet all of your spec's and is easy to find. Since you know Jags, do you know of Jon's Jags in southern Illinois?

Yeah, I've seem that site several times. I believe I ordered some parts from there when I was doing work on mine. At 12 quarts an oil change for that car though, I can guarantee you I won't be using fully synthetic oil, lol.

The difference between post 1 and 7 is startling. It's a pity that poster #1 didn't get a TBN report. Poster #7 should have asked for a retest.

It's also a pity we don't know how many months poster #7 had on that oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: XtremeRevolution

Yeah, I've seem that site several times. I believe I ordered some parts from there when I was doing work on mine. At 12 quarts an oil change for that car though, I can guarantee you I won't be using fully synthetic oil, lol.

12 qts in a Cruze or the Jag? I know the owner personally.

M1 5-30 will meet all of your spec's and is easy to find.

I'm shocked and stunned by this answer.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
M1 5-30 will meet all of your spec's and is easy to find.

I'm shocked and stunned by this answer.

That's my recommendation and stickin to it. What's your's?

Last edited:
The Mobil 1 Full Syn at my local auto store is indeed Dexos1 approved.

12 quarts in the Jag. That V12 is insane. Quite a lot of coolant as well. It's nice that you know the owner personally. I'll bet you've seen some pretty nice engine swapped Jags.

The difference between post 1 and 7 is indeed startling. I'm tempted to steer clear of Dexos1 for that reason.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-30 is what I use. It's dexos1 licensed, and proven to be okay via UOA in my Cruze.

If/when I pick up a Cruze, my guess Is that I will stick to 6-8k on a full syn of my choosing. Also will depend on which engine I end up with (the 1.8 or 1.4).

My reason being the city driving combined with those nuts out there, engine should be in good hands.

My thought would be a 6-8k with a syn like mobil 1 or QSUD.

XtremeRevolution,

Check out this website

http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands/dexos1licensedbrands.html

Choose an oil from that list and you will be good to go. Any specific brand recommendations would just be on the opinion of the poster. Any of these approved oils will allow for long engine life.

Enjoy your new cruze.
smile.gif

Well, I'll certainly get my oil tested at some point. I'm nearing that 5000 mile mark...

daves87rs, definitely get the 1.4L Turbo. If you get the 1.8L, you'll be wishing you didn't after a few thousand miles.

Gmfan, thanks for the link. I'll check that out. I'll pick one of the oil brands on the store shelf and stick to it at 5,000. I'll have it tested at 7,500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back