Speed Rating debate..and Tire Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think many cars are now coming with tires that have a higher speed rating than is really necessary.

My 2007 Hyundai Sonanta came with "V" rated tires from the factory. It's far, far from a performance vehicle. Many tires with a V speed rating are quite aggressive and/or very expensive. Most also only have a 40k - 60k mile rating, or no mileage rating at all.

I seriously doubt it is illegal in some states to install a lower speed-rated tire, as another member mentioned, but stranger things have happened. I'm sure shops are mostly concerned about this issue because they want to sell more expensive tires with a high speed rating.

I'm considering putting T rated Hankook H727 tires on my Sonata. We'll see what happens, but I'm not too concerned about it.

Last edited:
Stehen9666,

You are 100 correct! I know several folks who are runing those
Hankook H727's on their Sonata's, and they love them! And
its a T RATED tire, how about that!

Originally Posted By: flinter
...........this Conti T Rated model will actually be more comfortable and smoother with better wet traction.

The car that Tire Rack perform their test on with the Continental
ProContact EcoPlus tire was a BMW! Certainly a car with a MUCH
more sport oriented and sophisticated suspension than my little
old Elantra! They loved how this tire T rated tire handled on a BWM
and won 1st place in the shoot out.

Go to the Tire Rack site and watch the video!

Do you mean this test?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=155

That was an H rated tire - unless Tire Rack got that wrong. That's possible, because I don't see an H rated tire currently in the line up - but that doesn't mean there wasn't one when they conducted the test.

CapriRacer,

Yup, thats the test! The Conti Eco is NOT H Rated, they are ONLY
available in T RATED and that was the one tested. Go back again
and look at the spec sheet!

This test was just done 3 months ago and Continental NEVER offered a H Rated for the Eco Plus..its a Tire Rack typo error.
I will call Tire Rack and ask them to correct it.

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of confusion about tire speeding rating on this forum. ….

Several area tire shops in my area have told me DO NOT ever drop a speed ratings when replacing tires. ….

I own a 2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS sedan and am looking to replace my worn Michelin H rated tires with the Continental ProContact EcoPus tire. This tire actually won 1st place in Tire Rack's test of 4 Low Rolling Resistance tires, with the best for handling and wet traction. …..

Speed ratings really came from Europe where you needed to match the speed capability of tires with the top speed of the vehicle on which they are installed absent speed limits. That’s why the ratings are so odd, they were originally in kilometers per hour - T rating = 118 mph = 190 kmh.

The sustained operating speed of a vehicle should be limited to the lowest speed rated tire on the vehicle.

In addition speed ratings apply only to tires that have not been damaged. If a tire has been punctured and repaired, the speed rating is void because the tire manufacturer can't control the quality of the repair.

Now, your Hyundai came with H-rated tires, 130 mph. The Hyundai Elantra could not do 130 mph going downhill with the wind at its back and a Corvette on its rear bumper.

The reason why they use them is because the tire manufacturers are willing to sell them at or slightly below cost so you buy H-rated replacements, which are more expensive than a tire that actually makes sense on your car.

One of the ways the speed rating of the tire is increased is by reducing the sidewall thickness and tread thickness. Good tire wear and high speed ratings tend to be mutually exclusive.

I have used Goodyear Assurance TripleTred and Michelin HydroEdge to replace the factory H-rated tires on my 2005 Elantra.

The Goodyear is an 87H tire. “87” means it is rated at 1,201 lbs per tire and "H" is the 130 mph speed rating. The Michelin is an 87T tire also rated at 1,201lbs per tire and "T" speed rating of 118 mph.

I would feel completely comfortable moving down to an S speed rating of 112 mph.

The Continental ProContact you are looking at is an 88T tire. Interestingly the “88” tells you it is rated at 1,235 lbs per tire, arguably safer than the 87H that came with the car since it has a higher load capacity. The "T" speed rating of 118mph should vastly exceed anything you ever plan on doing with the car, and in fact vastly exceed anything the car is capable of.

As to handling, the Hyundai Elantra is not a BMW 325. Tires are hardly the limiting factor for your vehicle and the chances you would notice a difference between an S, T, or H tire based solely on the speed rating is zip.

I have never had problems with a tire shop changing the speed ratings. Perhaps if you tried to get them to put M-rating tires on a Corvette ZR1 they’d have good reason to question your sanity and ask you to sign a release.

On the other hand, if they insist you’re going to drive your Elantra at a sustained speed exceeding 118 mph, they’re either trying to sell expensive tires or you should ask them to share what they are smoking.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Two questions--have you seen the contract and what does Hyundai say? Obviously, one could install any tire one desires on the car, but what is safe to install? Driving habits and conditions play a role here, but (at least for me) for what little bit of money that could be saved, I would not take any risks--but that is me...YMMV.

On my old Audi, they had a prominent sticker by the gear shift. It warned to not exceed whatever speed was rated for the factory speced tires and basically not to exceed the limits of aftermarket tires.

If one never exceeds the speed limit, a speed rating isn't a huge issue. Obviously, those with higher speed ratings tend to be better tires. Further, one isn't going to easily get low speed rated tires in certain sizes, either.

Originally Posted By: Garak
If one never exceeds the speed limit, a speed rating isn't a huge issue. Obviously, those with higher speed ratings tend to be better tires. Further, one isn't going to easily get low speed rated tires in certain sizes, either.

You are correct of course, but the risks I inferred had more to do with liability as others pointed out after my post and not the speed rating. The other thing was there is no way that Hyundai would open themselves up to the liability associated with blanket statement like the OP listed--thus my point of what does Hyundai say versus a Tire Rack salesperson.

In a world where a cup of hot coffee garnered a multi-million dollar settlement, and Ford + Firestone/Bridgestone set the "standard" for these types of lawsuits, installing lesser rated tires than specified does not make sense to me in light of the potential consequences if something happened. Of course, there must be a specification for the tire speed rating and in this case it does not appear to be very clear. However, as I stated in my original post, I would not take the risk...especially for $130 or so dollars; but the great thing is we live in America and to each his or her own...

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
You are correct of course, but the risks I inferred had more to do with liability as others pointed out after my post and not the speed rating. The other thing was there is no way that Hyundai would open themselves up to the liability associated with blanket statement like the OP listed--thus my point of what does Hyundai say versus a Tire Rack salesperson.

Agreed. Times like these, I wish I still had my tire changer and balancing machines. It's bad enough that I have to listen to some of the techs' nonsense, let alone have them actually touch my tires and vehicles.

When I had my 1999.5 Lightning, it had Z-rated tires. I took them to over 100 mph only once. The rest of the time, non-rated tires would have done fine, if such an animal were available in that size.
wink.gif
Heck, in North America, you're far more at risk from the other driver than you are from your own tires.

I'm sorry, but this post is full of mis-information:

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
......The reason why they use them is because the tire manufacturers are willing to sell them at or slightly below cost so you buy H-rated replacements, which are more expensive than a tire that actually makes sense on your car.....

I explain the process used to qualify tires for new vehicles here:

http://www.barrystiretech.com/oetires.html

Short version: The vehicle manufacturer decides the speed rating.

- A little insight: One of the lessons learned from the Ford/Firestone thing some years back was that tires - like other components in the car - need to be over-specified. In the case of the Explorer, it was the load carrying capacity that resulted from the inflation pressure specification.

But it was also pointed out that speed ratings ought to be over-specified as well. Further, H and higher rated tires hardly ever failed - unlike the S and T rated tires of the era.

This leads me to the opinion that H speed rated tires should be the minimum.

......One of the ways the speed rating of the tire is increased is by reducing the sidewall thickness and tread thickness. Good tire wear and high speed ratings tend to be mutually exclusive......

Sorry, but speed ratings are pretty much tied to the use of fabric overlays (of the belt) commonly known as cap plies.

And while treadwear is commonly worse for higher speed rated tires, it isn't because of the construction. It's generally because high performance cars use higher speed rated tires and wear is traded off for grip.

......Interestingly the “88” tells you it is rated at 1,235 lbs per tire, arguably safer than the 87H that came with the car since it has a higher load capacity.......

Not exactly. The 88 is indeed a higher capacity, but it is an artifact of the tire sizing system - in this case it is because Euro metric tires use 240 kPa (36 psi) as a rating pressure, where P metric tires use 35 psi. For practical purposes, the constructions of tire built to either sizing system is the same.

...... The "T" speed rating of 118mph should vastly exceed anything you ever plan on doing with the car, and in fact vastly exceed anything the car is capable of.....

True, but in order to pass a T speed rating the tire only needs to hold that speed for 10 minutes! That's not enough time to tell much about the long term durability.

Further, H speed rated tires rarely fail from tread separations - unlike S and T rated tires.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
H speed rated tires rarely fail from tread separations - unlike S and T rated tires.

That is an interesting observation. Is there any quantitative data backing it up?

Back in the '90's my daughter had a Geo Storm GSI with premium tires (for the era). She suffered tread separations on more than one of the tires (vibrations, one blowout). I have not been a fan of that brand of tire since then.

While my memory is a little hazy over the rating specifics of those tires, I am sure they were greater than H. I am purposely not mentioning the brand here as it was a long time ago.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
36.gif

lol.gif
Good call.

I already opined on the topic on the related thread by the OP. Again, defer to Capri's expertise on the topic.

That said, seat of the pants anecdote using S rated Avid Touring on H spec'd Civic, not used for spirited/aggressive driving, 65K later never noticed a difference/decrease in performance. As far as treadwear, much better than original equipment (all lousy) H rated Firestones.

Ironically they was the first set of tires I purchased from DT and they never mentioned the difference when recommending them. I was much less knowledable regarding speed rating then, than now. But, I was very satisfied with the Avids Touring and now T rated, would consider them again for the same vehicle.

There's also the point that CR raises in the Speed Rating articles on BTT that the speed rating is under ideal laboratory conditions - throw the variables of tire aging, bumpy roads, and high ambient temperatures into the mix, and the realistic safe speed for a given tire drops dramatically.

I explain the process used to qualify tires for new vehicles here:

http://www.barrystiretech.com/oetires.html

Short version: The vehicle manufacturer decides the speed rating.

Short version, cheap is good, cheaper is better.

As a consultant to major automobile manufacturers in the US over three decades I can assure folks that a 2006 Elantra did not require H-rated tires, and that when Hyundai made the decision to use them cost was the single largest criterion in their decision. The second biggest criterion was ride.

With most passenger cars that is the situation in tire selection, with exceptions.

It is the same reason tire inflation pressures recommended are usually too low. The automobile manufacturer wants to make money selling cars, and it accomplishes that by reducing costs in manufacturing and by providing something people would like to buy. Most people want a nice ride.

There are exceptions, and these are generally special-purpose vehicles. For example, a Ferrari will come equipped with a high performance summer tire with a very high speed rating. First, the cost of the tires is a relatively small part of the cost of manufacturing. Second, the intended purpose of the car is met by tires that are quite different than what the average passenger car would use.

Every auto manufacturer considers a matrix of specifications for tread compound, sidewall construction, rolling resistance, and myriad other parameters. For example,
GM assigns a Tire Performance Criteria (TPC) number connoting each matrix.

If your personal criterion happens to match that criterion, then you should only buy exact replacement tires, same brand, same size, same everything and inflate them to precisely the pressure on the door jamb. I don’t think that’s a reasonable approach, but some people do.

Once you decide you’d like different parameters, perhaps a snow tire, or better wet performance, or better transient response, you can design your own matrix and seek tires that match it. Speed rating is just one more parameter.

This leads me to the opinion that H speed rated tires should be the minimum.

That seems to indicate some confusion as to what a speed rating actually is.

Are you suggesting that an S or T rated tire could be driven at a high enough speed long enough to fail in a normally loaded Hyundai Elantra assuming proper tire inflation?

If you are not, then considering H rated tires as the minimum makes little sense.

Sorry, but speed ratings are pretty much tied to the use of fabric overlays (of the belt) commonly known as cap plies.

The primary cause of failure at speed is heat. There are two ways to reduce that with the same tire pressure - decrease flexing which can be accomplished by changing cap design, tread depth, and sidewall thickness. Anyone who has worked with racing tires knows what I am talking about. Each molecule of rubber and the various compounds in the tire interact with other molecules when the tire flexes. The more molecules, the more heat. You can reduce the temperature of the tire simply by shaving the sidewalls and tread down.

This would normally result in tires which are both more sensitive to side impacts like curbs, and anyone who has owned a Ferrari or a Porsche and let his wife drive it can attest to that, and reduced mileage before wearing out. But, at increased cost, you can overcome that somewhat with design. The two tires I mentioned using - the Michelin Hydroedge and Goodyear Assurance TripleTred - use a similar “stiff” cap design to achieve a different balance of wear and speed rating than the OEM tires. Stiff cap = less flex = longer wear.

......Interestingly the “88” tells you it is rated at 1,235 lbs per tire, arguably safer than the 87H that came with the car since it has a higher load capacity.......

Not exactly. The 88 is indeed a higher capacity, but it is an artifact of the tire sizing system - in this case it is because Euro metric tires use 240 kPa (36 psi) as a rating pressure, where P metric tires use 35 psi. For practical purposes, the constructions of tire built to either sizing system is the same.

Just to be clear, the load rating is independent of the tire pressure as is the speed rating.

It is a fact that increasing tire pressures means that a given tire and wheel combination on a particular car can better perform at higher speeds or greater loads. The reason, again, is that increasing tire pressure reduces tire flex, which reduces heat.

However, the load and speed ratings are derived using a standard methodology, which means that when you compare tire A with tire B, the one with higher load rating can in fact handle a greater load, just as the one with the higher speed rating can handle the higher speed.

True, but in order to pass a T speed rating the tire only needs to hold that speed for 10 minutes! That's not enough time to tell much about the long term durability.

The speed rating has nothing to do with durability. It has to do with the ability of the tire to operate at a given speed using a standard methodology.

A Hyundai Elantra could not sustain the T-rating speed for ten minutes, or one minute.

So, in other words, the Continental ProContact EcoPlus tire will
actually provide a bit more smoother, quieter, comfortable ride
since its a T RATED as opposed to the H RATE Michelin MXV4, WITHOUT
sacrificing much in the way of handling, for the average to conservative
drivers of the Hyundai Elantra?

Last edited:
In general, T rated tire provides a more quiet and comfortable ride than H rated tire. Performance/handling is not as good as H rated at/near the limit.

So, in other words, the Continental ProContact EcoPlus tire will actually provide a bit more smoother, quieter, comfortable ride since its a T RATED as opposed to the H RATE Michelin MXV4, WITHOUT sacrificing much in the way of handling, for the average to conservative drivers of the Hyundai Elantra?

Why would the speed rating dictate smoothness, quietness, and comfort?

Any tire design reflects trade-offs of cost, performance, tire wear, resistance to aging, and so on.

I would imagine that you could find a particular T Rated tire that is less smooth, less quiet, less comfortable, or some combination of those than the Michelin MXV4s that came with your car new.

I can tell you that both the Michelin Hydroedge and the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread are noisier than MXV4s, both have much better wet performance than the MXV4s, and both are wearing better than the OEM choice.

For my purposes those tradeoffs are acceptable.

OT Excellent thread! I enjoy reading the thoughts of knowledgeable posters like Capri and Wilhelm on this topic. Good discussion/debate, thanks.

Carry on.
35.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
OT Excellent thread! I enjoy reading the thoughts of knowledgeable posters like Capri and Wilhelm on this topic. Good discussion/debate, thanks.
Carry on.
35.gif

Sayjac, if you liked what was above, you are just going to LOVE what is coming next!

I'd suggest a potty break and more popcorn!

Originally Posted By: Carbuff
H speed rated tires rarely fail from tread separations - unlike S and T rated tires.
That is an interesting observation. Is there any quantitative data backing it up?...

Traditionally, this type of data is a closely held secret for each tire manufacturer. I don't think you will find anything "quantitative".

However, I think there have been several folks besides myself who have stated this. The name that comes to mind is John Baldwin. But I'll bet he made that in a paper that you have to buy - which kind of makes confirming this nearly impossible.

Originally Posted By: Carbuff
...Back in the '90's my daughter had a Geo Storm GSI with premium tires (for the era). She suffered tread separations on more than one of the tires (vibrations, one blowout). I have not been a fan of that brand of tire since then.....

One of the problems faced by folks in the tire business is in parsing out stuff that is caused by external things - commonly called road hazards - and stuff that isn't. It is really common for folks to confuse a "run flat" - that is a tire operated with little of no inflation pressure, usually because it was punctured - with a tread separation - that is, where the top belt detaches from the bottom belt - nore properly called a belt leaving belt separation, ala the "Firestone" failure.

I'm going to guess your daughter had problems with road hazards and the speed rating and the brand weren't really factors.

So, in other words, the Continental ProContact EcoPlus tire will actually provide a bit more smoother, quieter, comfortable ride since its a T RATED as opposed to the H RATE Michelin MXV4, WITHOUT sacrificing much in the way of handling, for the average to conservative drivers of the Hyundai Elantra?

No - and this kind of false conclusion has been basically what this thread has been all about.

The things that make a tire T rated are NOT connected to the things that determine ride and handling qualities.

- BUT -

There is a trend there for which you will find plenty of exceptions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back