CC2 on gen3 Sienna - any issues?

So… I’m going absolutely go against the grain here, owning not one but 2 sets of CC2s. They are fine tires and I’d have them on my truck if they offered the size. BUT if you are doing high speeds like someone else mentioned, No.

The CC2s excel in so many things, and so far the treadlife seems surprisingly great, which the heavy sienna needs. But for everything they do well, lateral grip loses hard by a good solid margin. For me in the Lexus sedan, it simply became a way to drift at speeds that won’t get me a ticket. Goose it and sweep the turn. In my wife’s CRV, we don’t drive that way and it’s fine. But if stupid-high speeds are in play where every edge of performance might be required to not die, go with something else. If you drive a minivan like a normal person, CC2 FTW!

No pure summer tire for summer. Why buy all weather for 3 seasons if you have winter tires?
If I understand it correctly.

Krzyś

I'm not looking for "all weather" tires, the CC2s just happen to be that. I find around here it seems like the typical member posting about all season tires primarily wants to talk about winter traction. They're looking for the best winter-but-not-winter tire they can buy. And I don't care about winter traction in this case. At all. Just stating that up front.

Everything I've heard about the CC2 says that they are amazing in the winter for an all season, excel in the wet, are pretty good at tread life, and depending on what you're coming from may result in a hit to MPG. Do I have to remove the CC2 from my short list just because it has a snow flake on it? I wouldn't think so.... A lot of other comparables seem to have WEAKER summer performance - Defender 2s etc...

There's lots of more summery options which could be on the shortlist (depending on price) if it was made in the size required - Conti DWS, Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4...

Yes. Thats the one. I chose it over the Michelin Defender t+h at the time as some test results favored the Continental Tire at the time.

Thanks for the clarification - I had my eye on those as well. Glad to have confirmation from a Sienna owner that they performed well with the weight and geometry.

So… I’m going absolutely go against the grain here, owning not one but 2 sets of CC2s. They are fine tires and I’d have them on my truck if they offered the size. BUT if you are doing high speeds like someone else mentioned, No.

The CC2s excel in so many things, and so far the treadlife seems surprisingly great, which the heavy sienna needs. But for everything they do well, lateral grip loses hard by a good solid margin. For me in the Lexus sedan, it simply became a way to drift at speeds that won’t get me a ticket. Goose it and sweep the turn. In my wife’s CRV, we don’t drive that way and it’s fine. But if stupid-high speeds are in play where every edge of performance might be required to not die, go with something else. If you drive a minivan like a normal person, CC2 FTW!

No high performance driving in this vehicle. This is the first I've read about weak lateral grip from CC2s - interesting. Setting aside all the drifting stuff, this would also contribute to sudden and unexpected understeer washout (based on typical road car balance) which could come about in a variety of everyday situations, wouldn't it?

@Craig in Canada - Good question. Presumably so but I never experienced understeer washout as much as I simply experienced the ease in which they’d oversteer in a RWD. Being that we also have a set on my wife’s FWD CRV, for all normal driving they are superb. Her CRV has a lot of off-the-line wheelspin - a lot of torque. We’ve had 3-4 sets of tires on it, and specifically discarded the last set (BFG) early due to crazy-bad wet traction. The CC2s have been so good, she may literally not let me buy her anything else again.

I assumed that there would be a treadlife penalty as they grip superbly - but to my surprise they are wearing like iron. Idk what the expected treadlife is on these, but +60k is my guess based on the minimal wear ours show.

Sienna? I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend. If they have an option with higher load rating, consider that.

@Craig in Canada - Good question. Presumably so but I never experienced understeer washout as much as I simply experienced the ease in which they’d oversteer in a RWD. Being that we also have a set on my wife’s FWD CRV, for all normal driving they are superb. Her CRV has a lot of off-the-line wheelspin - a lot of torque. We’ve had 3-4 sets of tires on it, and specifically discarded the last set (BFG) early due to crazy-bad wet traction. The CC2s have been so good, she may literally not let me buy her anything else again.

I assumed that there would be a treadlife penalty as they grip superbly - but to my surprise they are wearing like iron. Idk what the expected treadlife is on these, but +60k is my guess based on the minimal wear ours show.

Sienna? I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend. If they have an option with higher load rating, consider that.
Torque steer. All FWD Honda's have it. Our Pilot is astonishingly bad in that department. Poor suspension and driveline execution.

Torque steer. All FWD Honda's have it. Our Pilot is astonishingly bad in that department. Poor suspension and driveline execution.
I had one Northstar powered FWD - had to hold the steering wheel like a baseball bat before you stomped it 😵‍💫

I think there is one exception to “all FWD Hondas”. It is Civic Type R with fancy front suspension. Similar to what Ford had for first gen Focus RS. Double knuckle or something like this it is called.

Krzyś

I think there is one exception to “all FWD Hondas”. It is Civic Type R with fancy front suspension. Similar to what Ford had for first gen Focus RS. Double knuckle or something like this it is called.

Krzyś
True. But it is also pinned down and very heavy in front.

Krzyś
We had an ‘18 civic sport 6MT and it would break traction before any torque steer. If it had any, I didn’t notice at all. It was a *fun* car.

Back