Size of 2007 Acura Oil Drain Plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to make sure I have all the tools I need before I attempt my first oil change. What size socket do I need for the oil drain plug on our 2007 Acura MDX?

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
17mm if Honda stuck with what they've used for 10 years now.

It's been 17mm since at least as far back as 1986.

Have a 10 mm socket/wrench and you can dismantle 70% of your Honda without any other tool :)

If this is the first time you are doing the oil change, you should have the crush washer handy in case the one there is completely deformed. Don't over-tighten it. It just needs to be snug enough as to not come off on its own via engine vibration. It is not a suspension bolt clamping two parts together.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Have a 10 mm socket/wrench and you can dismantle 70% of your Honda without any other tool :)

- Vikas

And like a Toyota, most of the rest can be disassembled with a 12mm and a 17mm socket with a few 14mm ones thrown in for good measure.

The old BMW I just bought uses a lot of 13mm and even a few 16mm bolts. I was so confused
smile.gif

Don't! Get a 17mm socket or wrench. There is NEVER a good reason to bring a Crescent wrench near your own car.

- Vikas

You can probably disassemble most of your Honda using only 8, 10, 12, 14, 17 and 19mm sockets.

Don't! Get a 17mm socket or wrench. There is NEVER a good reason to bring a Crescent wrench near your own car.

- Vikas

+1

Thanks for all the info. I've got from 9mm up to 20mm in 1/2 sockets. As far as tightening, I'm going to be retentive this time and even take my torque wrench with me. Part of the reason I gave up doing oil changes twenty years ago was trying to undo the parts screwed on (and up) by the trained gorrilla's that most jiffy lube type places must use to attach things. That and the 120 degree black top that was the only place I had to work on cars.

If you are going to use torque wrench, check it before hand on a lug nut and get a feel for how 20 ft-lb feels. I am assuming the the drain plug calls for 20 ft-lb and you have some assurance that the wrench is not wildly inaccurate.

Don't let your common sense or instinct be overridden by the torque wrench!

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: The Critic
You can probably disassemble most of your Honda using only 8, 10, 12, 14, 17 and 19mm sockets.

Yes, except a few that need deep sockets once in a while.

If you are going to use torque wrench, check it before hand on a lug nut and get a feel for how 20 ft-lb feels. I am assuming the the drain plug calls for 20 ft-lb and you have some assurance that the wrench is not wildly inaccurate.

Don't let your common sense or instinct be overridden by the torque wrench!

- Vikas

Roger, will do. The spec is 29 foot lbs. I have one of the old style bar torque wrenches and I don't think they go out of spec very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back