Standard Motor Products 'Blue Streak' parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I have always looked at 'Blue Streak' caps and rotors as good parts. What are your thoughts?
On another forum that I visit a respected member called them junk.

Been 15 years since I had a 1970 Ford with a 302 and points...always thought highly of the Blue Streak then, car ran better with cap, rotor and points with that label.

But 15 years is a long time...

Back in the day, I used them with no worries whatsoever and they were top quality, but I have not used them for many years now. Like many other things that change, it could be Blue Streak has cheapened to the point of becoming 'junk'.

Ah...the days of points, condensers, rotors, and distributor caps....

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Been 15 years since I had a 1970 Ford with a 302 and points...always thought highly of the Blue Streak then, car ran better with cap, rotor and points with that label.

But 15 years is a long time...

Yeah,...maybe I'm showing my age..

There was talk a few years back about the Blue Streak points being defective, or prone to failure in old Bitish car applications.
But why anyone would still want points ignition, is beyond me.

I'm talking about a cap and rotor for a 6th generation (98 to 02) Honda Accord (no points).

I use Blue Streak points to trigger a CD box. These points have a wick lubricator and with the proper lubricant the rubbing block wear is negligible. No condenser is used as the current is only around 0.25 amps. They last a LOOONNG time and do not fail in the middle of no-how. Just my choice. John--Las Vegas.

The late 80's was the last time I bought Blue Streak. It was my top preference. Who knows if the quality has been imported east.

Interesting you brought that name up. I believe that they are now part of an international group based in Europe.

They sell parts in Europe and for European cars under another name I forget what it is at this time.

Recently purchased a replacement oil pressure sensor to replace my VW Golf unit that developed a leak. It seemed to be the correct part and specifications and looked of decent quality, it was made in the UK. Price was competitive with OEM.

Blue Streak was absolutely top shelf stuff.
Standard had five tiers plus a couple of others.Some i have seen and noted over the years..
*T series.Green box,usually Chinese or ?.Bottom shelf.
*BWD.Often found at AAP,OEM+ quality between Standard Red and T.Mostly U.S. and Canadian with some Euro production.
*Intermotor.Also found at AAP,Same quality as BWD.Mostly U.K Euro Production.Import car parts.
*Standard Red Box.100% OEM quality at a minimum,usually better.
Mostly U.S. and Canada Production.
*Blue Streak.Blue Box,always exceeded OEM sometimes by a wide margin.U.S. or Canada Production.

There seems to be some sort of a shake up at SMP.BWD are looking like the same quality as Standard Red Box now,the ones i have bought are excellent quality.
The Blue Strek brand seems to have moved to a Canadian offering,Rock still sells some Blue Streak.IFAIK its the same as it always was or could be NOS.

As always check the box,if its U.S. or Canada made its good.

The 'Blue Streak' distributor cap is made in Japan and the contacts look stronger (thicker) than the OE (which has 107K of wear).

Just to update....I put the Blue Streak parts in and Prestolite wires and the car is running awesomely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back