2007 Jeep Wrangler 3.8L What Oil and Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently using Mobil 1 synthetic, and a K&N oil filter. My first set of test were good at 5,000 mile interval. I am curious to see how long I should go between oil changes. Also I am curious if there is a comparable/ or better filter for less $.

Welcome to Bitog. Run a UOA at 5000 miles and see what the oil looks like. That will tell you how the oil is holding up and if you can run it longer. Pure One Oil filters are quite good and usually cheaper than K&N filters. Many times in stores like Auto Zone or AAP they are part of oil change specials featuring Mobil 1 oil. If your Jeep is still under warranty follow the OM for the OCI they recommend.

I have a wrangler with a 4.0 litre engine and as far as I know, they use the same type of filter. I run 10w-30 in mine with a Hastings LF115 filter. This Hastings filter is larger than the OEM filter and has an extremely robust coil spring, great anti-drain characteristics, and a well designed bypass in the event the filter is clogged. Currently I am using mobil1 but will be switching to Rotella T5 or T next change as the HD qualities of this oil would benefit the flat-tappets of this engine and I don't run an extended drain to take advantage of a full synthetic...

I am sorry but I really do not know much about the 3.8l engine...s for an OCI, if you are interested in extending your drain interval, do so if you are confident with the analysis of your previous oil.

Honestly though, if you want to save money, you could get by with Pennzoil yellow bottle, mopar filters and 5000 mile OCIs...

Last edited:
I use a Motorcraft 400s filter On my 3.8 wrangler. 5w20 oil, conventional for short OCI's synthetic if I am wheeling alot and palan on going to the full 6k mile OCI.

The 3.8 is a low friction rollerized valvetrain and is not high power density. It is easy on oil. Air filtration is something to keep an eye on

Originally Posted By: DMillard
I am using an open air K&N. good? bad?

K&N air filters are a huge waste of money and will be counterintuitive to good oil maintenance in the sense that the K&N is letting in far more dust particles than a stock air box. Jeeps are not made for racing they are made for off/on road durability and reliability. Adding a K%N air filter will just increase wear....no performance gain whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: ps49556n
I am using an open air K&N. good? bad?

K&N air filters are a huge waste of money and will be counterintuitive to good oil maintenance in the sense that the K&N is letting in far more dust particles than a stock air box. Jeeps are not made for racing they are made for off/on road durability and reliability. Adding a K%N air filter will just increase wear....no performance gain whatsoever.

+1 as I meant to state it. Letting more dirt in is not good wear control. THe stock airbox and paper type filter work best cting like a knockout box for dust and debris.

So- back to the Oil and Oil filter question: what is the best for this motor, Motocraft, Pure One and synthetic oil? What about the Napa filters? What have others experienced, any testing to prove the results?

So- back to the Oil and Oil filter question: what is the best for this motor, Motocraft, Pure One and synthetic oil? What about the Napa filters? What have others experienced, any testing to prove the results?

Personally, in your application, I'd go with PP 5W-20/30 and a pureONE filter. Also, switch back to a paper filter. MANN, Purolator.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2010 Wrangler and everything I have read up on these motors in the JK's say that changing the air filter out often (10000) miles and making sure its sealed well is key to keeping the motor clean. 5w20 and a quality filter is just common sense. I have switched my routine to 5w20 M1 and change my filter every 2500 miles. I go off road often and with the winter dust and salt I just feel like its the way to go and I put alot of miles on quick. I will keep changing my oil at 5000 miles regardless, unless its looks black.

I use the Amsoil 0w20 oil and an Amsoil filter in my 2010 JK. I have been very satisfied. I also agree with the previous posts about not using the K&N filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back