GMpartsdirect,com

Status
Not open for further replies.
GMpartsdirect has to be the worst business I've ever dealt with. I was doing some work on my Malibu. After taking it apart I realized I need some extra parts and one part would take 3 days locally, so I thought I could order them online and get them about as fast and maybe save a few bucks.

I ordered the parts the morning of Sept 8 and they still have not shipped. I emailed them a couple weeks ago and they replied later with some generic "7-10" business days response. Well 7-10 days is bad enough but its been much longer than 7-10 days. And they give you no info on when the parts will ship.

On top of that, I didn't save much over local list price let alone discounted price because they take on a high shipping and handling fee.

Worse, their policy is no cancellations or refunds. So I have the car all torn apart all this time and the only solution is to buy the parts locally and pay double. They are the worst online business and I'm never dealing with them again.

My observation with their prices is they charge far under MSRP for parts and then mysteriously make 95% of that back with shipping costs which are on a per-item basis. Given that I can usually get 10-30% off at the local stealership, it's never worth it for me.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Three words:

Credit Card Chargeback.

You know, I thought about it and I really should just go get the parts locally now and chargeback the other order. They are not running fair business practices. Even if GMpartsdirect shipped the order later today or tomorrow I would still get them as soon ordered locally, and I don't think they will ship them anytime soon. It maybe another week or who knows how long.

I forgot to add, as far as I can tell they don't permanantly charge your card until the order ships so i don't know how that would complicate a chargeback.

Originally Posted By: cchase
My observation with their prices is they charge far under MSRP for parts and then mysteriously make 95% of that back with shipping costs which are on a per-item basis. Given that I can usually get 10-30% off at the local stealership, it's never worth it for me.

Exactly, the price appears to be way cheaper but like you said they make about 90% of it back with S&H costs they tack on at the last minute. What is the point of ordering something online for little savings? On top of that their no cancellations, no returns, slow as molasses shipping and just poor customer service in general makes it a bad deal even if they were a lot cheaper (which they are not).

I bought two things from them - an exterior power mirror switch and ultraguard gold filters.

Neither were rush items, but they came in a reasonable amount of time and I was satisfied. This was long ago when their shipping rates were (slightly) better. After that, their rates seemed to get worse and worse, to the point where I figured Id be better off supporting my local dealer and not getting smoke and mirrors.

Have you tried Rock Auto? I've ordered GM, Honda, and Subaru parts from them for about 7-8 years and always had good luck with order status, shipping speed, and overall costs. In some cases, I was able to get a part shipped overnight and the cost was still less than buying it locally from a dealership or parts store. That said, of course, there are some parts that you just can't get anywhere but a dealership or a manufacturer parts supplier. Might be worth a look anyway.

Yeah Rockauto is great, low prices with no inflated shipping and handling, very fast shipping, no hassle order cancellation chagess or returns and good customer service. Basically everything that GMpartsdirect is not. They do carry some ACDelco parts but the parts I need are carried by the dealer only and even they didn't have one of the parts in stock.

Another thing about Rock Auto....when an item is BO, they will CALL you and ask if you'd like them to ship short, hold until the order is complete, etc. Not many places will do this anymore.

Yes and rockauto will let you cancel the whole order. I found out the other day after inquiring again that one of the parts was backordered and holding up all the others. And they allowed that part to be removed so the order could be switched. This was after waiting several weeks and right after I went and bout the parts locally. They should've notified me long ago that one of the parts was unavailable and allowed me to cancel the whole order blah.

I buy from Amazon or AutoAnything. GMDirect wanted $80-100 for the replacement coolant tank and cap. I bought it from Amazon for $28 shipped to my door!

Both were A/C Delco made ;P

Last edited:
Are you sure the parts aren't on backorder? Check with your local dealer and see if they are. A lot of those online parts listings will not list backorders. If ford has as many parts on backorder due to vendors going under i can only imagine what the General and Chrysler have to deal with.

Yes as I posted above that one part was on backorder, which any dealer can verify immediately. Instead they let my whole order sit for 3 weeks before telling me after repeated inquiries. Then they only allowed finally the one part to be dropped so the order could be shipped. They don't allow order splitting, don't notify ahead of time or even in a timely matter if a part is unavailable, don't allow order cancellations, tack on high S&H etc. Basically you can end up getting screwed ordering online from there.

Try GMpartshouse.com next time. It is run by a guy named Gene Kelly out of a GM dealer in PA. He is very popular for fast shipping and good prices on OEM parts. I have used him and his service blows Parts Direct out of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back