Have you checked the price of used wheel covers lately?

Need a pair for the 2020 Corolla hybrid. List price at the Toyota dealer is $112 or $73 my price.
7d3745276584c5b4afe5d1501d33a1f5.jpg

So I check Ebay and there are plenty of scratched and scuffed examples for $50 plus $15 shipping. That isn't too bad, but when you check the used hubcap places online, you would think they were smoking something.

How do they stay in business? Do people actually pay that much? I know everything is higher these days, but not long ago, hub caps were $10 or $15 items.

YEP... I went through this same shock a few months ago, for My GF's Mirage, she kept loosing covers, she had a couple spares, but she eventually said forget it, and is just sticking with the naked 14" steelies (that even she says need to be painted)
before that.... the last car i had with hubcaps was my Grandpa's '87 Olds, that I sold in 2001...everything since has had alloy, or aluminum wheels..

same site... the OE caps are $144.95 each... after market knockoffs, look identical, just no Mitsu logo in the center, $39.95 each, or $139.95 for a set of 4...

ohh... the have the same aftermarket ones in black instead of silver for $99.95 a set of 4....

Last edited:
Need a pair for the 2020 Corolla hybrid. List price at the Toyota dealer is $112 or $73 my price.

So I check Ebay and there are plenty of scratched and scuffed examples for $50 plus $15 shipping. That isn't too bad, but when you check the used hubcap places online, you would think they were smoking something.

How do they stay in business? Do people actually pay that much? I know everything is higher these days, but not long ago, hub caps were $10 or $15 items.
Perhaps the used hubcap places offer a better looking product?

Whenever I go to the driveway and see that my kids have lost another hubcap, here is where I go:

For many cars, they have what I presume to be a repainted OEM hubcap, or a fairly identical (minus the logo) replica. I have found that the replicas actually stay on the wheels better in most cases.

Whenever I go to the driveway and see that my kids have lost another hubcap, here is where I go:

For many cars, they have what I presume to be a repainted OEM hubcap, or a fairly identical (minus the logo) replica. I have found that the replicas actually stay on the wheels better in most cases.
Another clip joint selling used ones for more than brand new.

you could just get a generic set of wheel covers or go for the Nascar look and not even think about it out loud...

These hubcaps go over some pretty nice 10-spoke aluminum wheels. I'd sell the two you've still got and pocket the money. Whatever spread you make flipping this corolla, is not going to be improved by as much as what you'll get for the caps separately.

These hubcaps go over some pretty nice 10-spoke aluminum wheels. I'd sell the two you've still got and pocket the money. Whatever spread you make flipping this corolla, is not going to be improved by as much as what you'll get for the caps separately.

I don't really like their look myself. They look dated like a 90's BMW wheel,

04.jpg

and then I'd have to get a set of centers for $80 anyway, so might as well find two correct wheel covers for not much more with just a little effort.

The ladies like the parts-store plastic hubcaps.

Zo23hI.jpg
What kinda ladies you talking about? When I see those on a car, I think that the owner was too cheap to buy the OG covers. Ladies must be asking themselves, is this guy going to take me to a nice place for dinner, or to McDonald's?

My aftermarket hubcap days are long gone unless it's for a $1000 car. Heck, I have 4 sets of brand new ones bought 30 years ago down in the basement. I post them on FBMP and CL for $20 a set and no takers the last five years.

Back