Best engine design for a motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SWSportsman
Originally Posted By: grampi
I don't want eveyone else having exactly the same bike I've got.

I find that quite odd. I have four motorcycles and didn't give ANY thought when buying them to whether they were the same or different than others on the market. They represent what I wanted in a bike at the time and it doesn't matter to me whether NO one else has one like them or EVERYONE does.

I don't choose my bikes based on their uniqueness, it's just happened to turn out the bikes I choose end up being unique. Having a unique bike is just a benny for me, but I most certainly wouldn't like parking my bike everywhere I go and seeing 95% of all other bikes are just like mine.

Originally Posted By: ZGRider
Hardest part was finding OEM seat to replace Mom & Pop swede leather sissybar monstrosity.

I think you mean "suede".

Swedes made Volvo's and Saab's.
lol.gif

Just funnin' with ya.

I own a Triumph Rocket 2300 cc inline 3 cylinder. It has 140 horsepower, and over 150 ft lbs of torque. And it is 100 % stock, other than a set of slip on mufflers. It is a really smooth, torquey motor. and makes almost all of that peak torque around 2700 rpm. It really is amazing.

Originally Posted By: chosenbiker
I own a Triumph Rocket 2300 cc inline 3 cylinder. It has 140 horsepower, and over 150 ft lbs of torque. And it is 100 % stock, other than a set of slip on mufflers. It is a really smooth, torquey motor. and makes almost all of that peak torque around 2700 rpm. It really is amazing.

Except it weighs nearly 1/2 a ton ! 800lbs +

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boraticus
Originally Posted By: boraticus
I doubt the Valk would fare too well against the 109.

here's some actual performance figures provided by Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine.

PERFORMANCE
Fuel mileage: 30 to 42 mpg, 35.9 mpg average
Average range: 190 miles
RPM at 60 mph, top gear: 2990
200 yard, top-gear acceleration from 50 mph, terminal speed: 74.2 mph
Quarter-mile acceleration: 12.93 sec., 104.0 mph

I looked for this bike because it is a technical marvel and very unique. Throw in decent performance and very good road manners, it's an all round nice bike to have despite it's huge size.

I'm guessing those are the performance numbers for the Valk, as the 109 runs high 11 second 1/4 miles. Your top gear RPMs @ 60 MPH are pretty close to what the 109's turning at that speed, I think it turns about 2800 @ 60. I still think a top gear roll-on comparison between these two bikes would be pretty close. How much torque does the Valk produce? I think the 9 makes right around 97 ft lbs.

Generally, the quoted figures for rear wheel numbers are 100 h.p., 100 ft. lbs. Of course, those figures can vary from bike to bike and year to year. I've read that the early models, 97's in particular were very strong. Some reviews claim that subsequent bikes weren't up to par according to their "seat of the pants" dynos. Honda claims that nothing had been changed that would de-tune them. My take on it is, that once the excitement of the new machine had subsided and the novelty had worn off, people had become accustomed to the power and were pretty much used to it.

Regardless, it's got more than enough power for me. The rush to triple digit speed (mph) is so effortless that it's hard to believe you're going that fast until you look at the speedo.

It's funny you brought up the thing about ealier Honda models being more powerful because they have a long history of doing just that. Look at the CB750. Introduced in 1969, the first model year would do 12.6 in the 1/4 mile, while subsequent model years got slower an slower until they came out with the DOHC engine. Same thing happened with the CBX, the V-65, and even the VTX1800. In all cases the first model year was the fastest and most powerful, yet Honda always claims the same thing, they didn't detune or change anything. This has always been a great mystery to me about Honda as they seem to be only bike maker that does this and I could never figure out why.

Emissions, emissions, emissions -- thank the EPA for that

Originally Posted By: chosenbiker

Except it weighs nearly 1/2 a ton ! 800lbs +

There's nothing wrong with an 800 lb bike IF it's balanced properly and has a low center of gravity.

That's true, the Rocket is a good bike, just don't lose your balance when it's standing still. You will never stop it from falling over.

Saw a guy drop a Boss Hoss one time and it took 4 guys to help him pick it up. Somebody got a hernia that time.

That's true, the Rocket is a good bike, just don't lose your balance when it's standing still. You will never stop it from falling over.

Saw a guy drop a Boss Hoss one time and it took 4 guys to help him pick it up. Somebody got a hernia that time.

Ouch! If I dropped one of those, I think I'd just call a tow truck!

Originally Posted By: PT1
After much thought:

1. Honda GW
2. BMW
3 Harley Vrod

I could go along with those..... Which BMW? GS? or K-bike?

I like the honda V-twin. i have the VTX 1300. 52* single pin crank just like the other brand i wont metion for fear of flaming..
28.gif
Its american made as well by the way
34.gif

Plenty of torgue. smooth riding, good MPG. I am sure the resale isnt as good as the Harley is and the market has been flooded with them over the last few years. they are out of production now i hear. The make another bike using the same engine but is fuel injected. now i would love to have that engine in my VTX...

Ride easy my friends.. :)

Originally Posted By: rickg
I like the honda V-twin. i have the VTX 1300. 52* single pin crank just like the other brand i wont metion for fear of flaming..
28.gif
Its american made as well by the way
34.gif

Plenty of torgue. smooth riding, good MPG. I am sure the resale isnt as good as the Harley is and the market has been flooded with them over the last few years. they are out of production now i hear. The make another bike using the same engine but is fuel injected. now i would love to have that engine in my VTX...

Ride easy my friends.. :)

Maybe we'll get lucky and Honda will produce a new v-twin cruiser that's even more powerful than either the 1300 or 1800 VTX. One can only hope....

I guess the 1800 was so powerful everybody just couldn't stand it so they stopped making it.Kind a like the big Suzuki they quit making.Or the Honda Rhune.Yeah, i guess the motorcycling public isn't ready for such wonderful machines.The only good thing about them is you can buy them for a song, for spare parts.,

Originally Posted By: PT1
After much thought:

1. Honda GW
2. BMW
3 Harley Vrod

I presume that you are referring to the venerable boxer twin for the BMW. Splitting hairs even further, airhead or oilhead?

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I guess the 1800 was so powerful everybody just couldn't stand it so they stopped making it.Kind a like the big Suzuki they quit making.Or the Honda Rhune.Yeah, i guess the motorcycling public isn't ready for such wonderful machines.The only good thing about them is you can buy them for a song, for spare parts.,

I guess most people would rather buy HDs and be just be another cow in the heard...

I'm a casual rider 1,000 miles maybe in a year..sold my VTX1300R and bought two real nice '84 VF700C Magna's anyway the old 700 v-4 motors sound real good, I know their old tech but OMG do they scream...one has 9k mi. the other 14k

Giggling here at the just another cow in the herd ??? I would guess for every 1800 on the road there were about 10 Harleys to match it. there is a bunch of the VTX's on the road, but no where near the amounts of Harleys..

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I'm a casual rider 1,000 miles maybe in a year..sold my VTX1300R and bought two real nice '84 VF700C Magna's anyway the old 700 v-4 motors sound real good, I know their old tech but OMG do they scream...one has 9k mi. the other 14k

Better check the cams on those VFs They have wicked problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back