Rotella T6 - with JASO-MA? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw the Rotella T6 5W-40 today in Advance Auto for around $23.89 for 1 gallon. Saw T6 quarts at a nearby WalMart for $5.77 each, but no gallons of the new stuff yet.

Originally Posted By: whitesands
Finally! It is kind of relieving to finally see it on the bottle

Yeah, have to see it in writing or we don't believe it. It don't matter what all the experience shows, some have to see it in writing to truly believe. It's amazing that some people just have to "hear it from the horse's mouth."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cajunboyz
Is the Shell Rotella T 5w-40 CJ-4 the same as the T6

Nope, that's the old formula. Absolutely nothing wrong with it either. I'm actually hoping they (retailers) discount it so I can stock up.

Some areas are getting the new T6 sooner than others. And Yes, the new stuff actually says T6 on the bottle (quart and gallon). See pic on page 1.

I saw the new Dino Rotella at the local W Mart today and it was marked JASO MA on it. They still had some old CI-4 Plus Rotella T that I bought up, but they did not have the new T6 in.

Originally Posted By: ZGRider
Originally Posted By: whitesands
Finally! It is kind of relieving to finally see it on the bottle

Yeah, have to see it in writing or we don't believe it. It don't matter what all the experience shows, some have to see it in writing to truly believe. It's amazing that some people just have to "hear it from the horse's mouth."

Strange, huh? I mean, if it's on the internet it HAS to be true, right? After all, the internet is Serious Business.

I've never heard of anyone anywhere getting misleading information from a place as renowned and credible as an open public forum!

All sarcasm aside, I paid a lot of money for my bike. It's still under warranty and I want to keep it that way!

Well I have an email from Rotella that said that it would perform in my bike just fine and would not cause any damage. A customer rep would not do that unless they knew it would work.

The people at Chevron told me not to use Delo cause it's ad pack could interfere with a wet clutch system.

Most of the premium HDEO that meet the Allison C-4 spec would most likely pass the JASO-MA standard (which mostly deals with friction modifiers, ash etc).

Since motorcyclists make up .10% of the diesel oil market, most of the oil producers couldn't care less about getting their oils tested for JASO-compliance.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Since motorcyclists make up .10% of the diesel oil market, most of the oil producers couldn't care less about getting their oils tested for JASO-compliance.

I agree with that. I also think that Rotella, perhaps more than any other HDEO, enjoyed a certain cult status in the motorcycle community prior to them announcing JASO-MA. That may be why they tested and printed ... why not? You have a market, it seems loyal, and with testing/certification you lock 'em in. Probably expand the market as well. Makes good business sense to me.

Now, if I were CEO of Shell I wouldn't spend a dime on advertising. Just quiet word of mouth.

The Rotella website mentions JASO MA compliance. They also dropped the forum, which is good. It was dead.

I believe an e-mail got their attention about cycle use, and questions on their message board/blog about cycle use got them off their butts and got them to do the testing.

I think the Rotella meeting the JASO-MA spec relates as much to the reformulation of the oil to meet the CJ-4 requirements of lowered ash achieved by lowering the levels of zinc and phosphorus. I believe the ash limits for JASO-MA are at the 1.2% level which the older Rotella formulations did not meet.

Just a humble little clarification and you probably already knew this....The older CJ-4 Rotella formulations were under the JASO ash limits as well...It was the CI-4's that were slighty over it...

07 FLHRI(Road King)
Would the Mobil 1 15W-50 or similar be a better match in vicosity to the required 20w-50 for summer use, than the 5w-40 syn. Rotella being that I'm lubricating an air cooled motor?

Howie...

Last edited:
Harley recommends 10/40 wt oil, only when the temps are going to be below 40f. Nowhere in the manual does it state it's ok to use 5 wt oils. So yes 15/50 mobil 1 is acceptable for use where a 20/50 wt oil is recommended. They both should be a 50 wt oil when at operating temp.,,

Seems the new Rotella T6 5W-40 is an excellent oil for my water cooled Kawasaki that require 10W even if the Rotella syn oil is at the lower end a 5W oil, but would not be a good choice for an HD motor above 40F(summer). I'de have to use either the Amsoil 20W-50 I'm using now or save some $$ and use the Mobil 1 15W-50 syn.
Howie...

I've also heard Mobil 1 15W-50 will sheer, and reduce it's viscosity to a 40W at low miles, and at a long OCI, will be a 30W, (esp in a air cooled motor in summer). Amsoil seemed to still be slick @5K mls. I've not use M1 oils yet.
Howie...

The Amsoil 20W-50 motorcycle oil is a very good product, as is the Mobil 1 20W-50 motorcycle oil. You are correct, the Rotella T6 would be a great oil for your Kawasaki but would not be the right product for your Harley.

I guess there is still no reason to switch out of Spectro Golden 20W50 in my old aircooled 1980 BMW R65 and even older 1964/69/71 BSA A65's.

(except for the price of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back