Canaster oil filters twisting

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fusion oil filters come out twisted. Last one was a pure one. Do all canister filters do this? If so does it hurt anything?

On my Fusion (4 cyl) I use regular Purolators that are the newer style filter which uses a plastic reinforcing cage inside it (very easy to see) and they come out untwisted.

Most of them do including the Dynolube I just took out. It twisted going in. The top is clockwise to the bottom. I don't think the AC by Hengst did. The Purfluxes I used at one time didn't.

Yes, at AAP and Wal-Mart carries the rebadged Motocraft version. I also don't over-tighten the plastic filter cover - just snug it down, it practically comes to a halt when it's snug anyway.

Last edited:
Mazds CX7 uses a cartridge filter. I have used WIX(Nape Gold) and MotorCraft that are removed with no twisting. The secret is to LUBE both ends when you install to reduce the friction during clamp down.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Mazds CX7 uses a cartridge filter. I have used WIX(Nape Gold) and MotorCraft that are removed with no twisting. The secret is to LUBE both ends when you install to reduce the friction during clamp down.

Good idea on the lubed ends.

They redesigned these filters a few years ago and put a plastic cage inside. I have one of these and have yet to use it so I don't know if it stops the twisting. The OE mazda filters never had this problem, only the aftermarket filters twisted including the Purolator. I sent one of twisted ones back to Purolator earlier this year they said it was fine. My advice get the OE or try the Motorcraft,they are availabile at Walmart for under $5. PS The OE filters had felt washers on both ends.

Last edited:
I bought the Fusion in Aug. an it had a MC filter in it and it was twisted. The pure one twisted as well that I removed this last week. I bought the new MC at WM so we will see how it does. I think the lube idea may work but it will be a few months before I will know for sure with my OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back