23 Tacoma 2gr-fks first filter

Maybe I should have done the filter a bit earlier, but honestly it looked really good compared to what I’ve seen on other post. 7200 miles with 3 oil extractions. Yes, a bit of metal in the filter but nothing in the oil canister. Not the fist oil exchange but the first filter.

Attachments

• IMG_3001.jpeg
    IMG_3001.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3003.jpeg
    IMG_3003.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3004.jpeg
    IMG_3004.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3005.jpeg
    IMG_3005.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 92
This Toyota filter held up and looks good. There were some of these posted with lousy glue on top but this one is looking fine.

I was thinking I should changed the filter earlier to help prevent any metal from circulating in the engine. Probably overthinking it to be honest as I saw nothing in the bottom of the canister. The reason for the early exchanges during run-in was to minimize microscopic scoring from what the filter does not pick up.

I’m a fan of the Toyota OEM filters. Construction and quality is usually good (nothing is perfect) and pricing is reasonable. The dealership near me does a special from time to time - 5 filters with drain plug washers for $19.99. That’ll usually get me through a year or so. Some folks prefer metal end caps, better efficiency rating, etc. but the OEM filters are good enough for me.

BTW filter posts should go in the filter sub.

Here is an example another user posted on his at 900 miles. I switched to 5w-40 at 200 miles and now 0w-40 in the winter months. What a difference!

Attachments

• IMG_3007.jpeg
    IMG_3007.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 74
I’m a fan of the Toyota OEM filters. Construction and quality is usually good (nothing is perfect) and pricing is reasonable. The dealership near me does a special from time to time - 5 filters with drain plug washers for $19.99. That’ll usually get me through a year or so. Some folks prefer metal end caps, better efficiency rating, etc. but the OEM filters are good enough for me.

BTW filter posts should go in the filter sub.

I agree, they seem pretty good. I used a Fram.

Not using any of the free Toyotacare oil changes?
If you are in the USA , you get free maintenance services for 2 years or 25k.
Tire rotates at the 5k intervals and oil changes at 10k intervals.
Yes, I will use them. My dealer also has “oil changes for life” at every 10k miles. I will use them, but provide my own oil. I will also do my own 5k changes.

Yes, I will use them. My dealer also has “oil changes for life” at every 10k miles. I will use them, but provide my own oil. I will also do my own 5k changes.
Check with your dealer. Many Toyota dealers get "Toyota Genuine motor oil" delivered in bulk.
Made by Mobil and has a nice dose of moly and is a pretty nice oil.
I'm a parts guy at a Toyota dealer and TGMO is what we use for all our oil changes.
We can get it in quarts, 55 gallon drums or by tanker delivery to fill our bulk tanks.

Check with your dealer. Many Toyota dealers get "Toyota Genuine motor oil" delivered in bulk.
Made by Mobil and has a nice dose of moly and is a pretty nice oil.
I'm a parts guy at a Toyota dealer and TGMO is what we use for all our oil changes.
We can get it in quarts, 55 gallon drums or by tanker delivery to fill our bulk tanks.
One main problem with this is the weight. I personally run 0w-40 winter / 5w-40 summer. I also prefer an oil with a high ZDDP additive package. M1 euro blend has the highest amount besides their racing 20w-50. Toyota 0w-20 is not what I want, though I have heard it is good oil. Just too think for my liking.

Last edited:
Back