Kendall 5W-30 vs. 10W-30 Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I was looking at the specs for Kendall's GT-1 High Performance Synthetic Blends and when looking at 5W-30 vs. 10W-30 I really didn't see that much of a difference. Is there any reason to believe the 10W-30 version of this oil would negatively affect an engine that calls for a 5W-30? If I did use it, it would not be during the winter, although that doesn't even appear to be much of a problem. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

KenGT-1HPSynBlendMOTDSWeb.jpg

Why is the cSt @40C so much different between the 5w20 and 5w30. A bigger difference than the 5w30 vs 10w30. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I dunno man, the pour points are the same.

It will not hurt the engine but no need to go their unless it is on sale. The additive package is the same with regard to ZDDP and the hths is the same between them so the 5W30 is a better pick between the two.

Last edited:
I've used it before for 4 consecutive oil changes in my 06' chevy silverado 4.8 v8. I used the 10w30 with out any issues.I wish I would have done a UOA .My 2 cents.

I accidentally ran that stuff in the winter around Chicago and just gave it a few extra seconds to warm up and got EXCELLENT UOA results.

Will do just fine!!!

I bought a bunch of the 10w30 KGT on closeout at Big Lots and ran it in my 4cyl Ranger with no problems. However, I only used it for my Spring/Summer oil changes...for late-Fall and Winter I went back to the spec'd 5w30.

Great oil, especially if found on discount.

Last edited:
Wowwwww. Looks like a great winter oil for northern climates. The 5,900 # is 7000 for Castrol Syntec(smaller # is better, right?).

Thanks for the replies so far. I happen to have five quarts left over from a different vehicle which I no longer service. I was thinking of running it next spring/summer in my 4.6 T-Bird. I know these engines were back-spec'd for 5W-20, but they originally called for 5W-30 and I've pretty much stuck to that weight (114,000 miles). I just thought since Kendall's 10W-30 was so close to its 5W-30, maybe I could just use my Kendall stash next summer. I know the 4.6 engine likes lighter oil though, so I didn't want to risk anything. Sounds like some of you guys have made it work. Any other thoughts?

It wouldn't hurt anything in a 94' T-Bird, and Kendall is believed to be little more than Motorcraft oil in a different bottle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back