MMO full oci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran MMO at the last 150 miles & changed the oil on my new '01 Saturn (since the oil was soooo dark). Didn't notice anything on the butt dyno, but I bet it cleaned it out some!

I'll run it in the last 1,000 miles soon.

I tend to accelerate slowly and I'm using less throttle to get up to speed. I have to check my gas mileage because my gas gauge is not moving as much too. My thought was to do a short OCI if the oil is getting really dirty. But this winter I want to run Pennzoil Platinum with a 1 quart of MMO. This is one of the first years I'm looking forward to winter just so I can change my oil.
20.gif

Running a qt of MMO during the winter time works well. You'll notice a big difference in the cold cranking, and how easier the engine turns over when it gets really cold. It helps!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Running a qt of MMO during the winter time works well. You'll notice a big difference in the cold cranking, and how easier the engine turns over when it gets really cold. It helps!

I think the PP would do just fine in winter all by itself.

In sure it would. But once you've tried MMO mixed in you'll understand where I'm coming from, especially in Billings, MT. on one of those cold January mornings.

I did add some MMO to my moms car to see if it would remove some varnish from the timing chain cover. 16oz has been in there for about 800 miles and no visible difference so far. I did notice that the oil level has gone down slightly from what it was after I added the MMO. The solvents must be evaporating.

I used to run about a pint to a quart of MMO on occasion in my old Slant Six engines and it certainly did not hurt them; whether it helped in the crankcase, maybe some... It definitely helped in the gas tank!

I've said a few times, there are times when you won't notice any gains from any of these products. That doesn't mean the product isn't working, it might just be there is nothing for the product to work on. Not every engine is dirty, has coked up rings, or is leaking oil. But in the case of adding MMO for the last 500-1000 miles of an OCI, it will help keep things nice and clean. Even if it is done only once a year to a healthy engine. (If done once a year, I prefer the winter.) The old saying "An ounce of prevention". In this case a pint of prevention..............JMO

Almost 1k into my strange brew (1 qt MMO, 2 qts MC5w20 and 1 qt Havoline DS 20w50). Oil still looks new.

I wish I could see into the engine on my Subi 2.2L. For all I know, it could be clean as a whistle or who knows what...

Still thinking of doing my 5k OCI.

Like Demarpaint said, you could be one of those guys that has well maintained clean engine. Good on you mate!
11.gif

AD

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

I think the PP would do just fine in winter all by itself.

Yes, it would. But, the reason I am using MMO is to see if it helps oil consumption. I will use 4 quarts to top off during a 3,000 mile OCI normally.

I did notice a difference already. Usually, if traveling highway speeds and I need to pass (or get out to the way) during heavy acceleration I would see a plume of smoke in the rear view mirror. Yesterday, I saw nothing. It is too soon to tell is it is the MMO or maybe due to a fresh oil change. However, oil consumption is still very high. Just drove 227 miles since the oil change (mostly highway miles) and used 1/2 quart to top off. Around town I usually use half that amount of oil to top off.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I did add some MMO to my moms car to see if it would remove some varnish from the timing chain cover. 16oz has been in there for about 800 miles and no visible difference so far. I did notice that the oil level has gone down slightly from what it was after I added the MMO. The solvents must be evaporating.
Interesting observation, I haven't noticed that.

It may not have been evaporation, there's oil around the oil pan gasket now, and a bit up on one of the heads. These leaks weren't there 3,000 miles ago when I changed the transmission fluid. I always inspect the underside of an engine with a flashlight while I'm under the car just to spot if there are any coolant or oil leaks. I'm hoping the pint of MMO wasn't the cause.

That stinks, if it was dirt stopping a leak, then anything added that is supposed to clean could possibly have triggered it (unless it swells gaskets and seals). Maybe next OC switch to a HM oil and see what happens, or just use your favorite oil alone.

I will say one thing about mmo. If you mix a whole quart in and have an oil burner sensitive to viscosity changes, you should step it up a grade. My truck doesn't take well to the thin stuff and once the m1 10w-40 started shearing, it started burning for sure. Oil became black QUICKLY with it, and yet doesn't in our new vehicles when mmo was added. I cut the wix at 1000 miles and it had some pretty serious carbon. I have a Delco on there now.

According to turtle wax, adding in quart of MMO (to make it 20% of the oil) drops the top end SAE by one grade. So 5-30 becomes 5-20 etc. I really wouldn't put that much MMO in, especially in an oil burning engine.

I had it laying around, so I figured if my rings are contributing to the oil burning it might be slowed by mmo cleaning. It has bad valve seals and good compression. Of course you can't tell the condition of your oil rings with that test... But my truck is supposed to run 10-30 anyway when fresh, not a big deal. Just a little more consumption than with 40 weight oil and no mmo.

That stinks, if it was dirt stopping a leak, then anything added that is supposed to clean could possibly have triggered it (unless it swells gaskets and seals). Maybe next OC switch to a HM oil and see what happens, or just use your favorite oil alone.

I had done an Auto RX clean and rinse on the car before, so there shouldn't have been much in there as far as dirt. Looking up through the drain hole everything was very clean.

I was planning on starting her car on my large stash of Quaker State Torque Power 5W-30, but I put in my last jug of Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage instead. I am using that same oil in my car right now, and it is slowing the oil consumption fairly significantly, it just took a while for it to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back