Anyone using Castrol Transmax in ZF 6HP/8HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently noticed that Castrol Transmax "ATF/CVT Universal" is documented by Castrol as "Suitable for Use" in ZF 6HP/8HP
(refering to this document: https://www.castrol.com/content/dam...-oil-and-fluids/transmaxuniversalappsheet.pdf )

I see it on sale cheaper than Valvoline MaxLife Multivehicle ATF which is the popular non-OEM alternative I typically see used in those two transmissions.

I haven't seen a thread specific to this oil in ZF transmission, so wondering if anyone is using it and any feedback / impressions they may have?

ZF publishes the TM11 doc that lists non "ZF" oils that are OEM approved, and the list is long enough (page 4-5).

However, there are plenty of "suitable for use" universal oils such as Amsoil, RedLine D6, and Valvoline MaxLife that have been used extensively with great results that even bear "ZF 8 & 9 Speed" compatibility in their product spec sheet.

I havent read about experience with the Transmax, so interested to know if anyone has any.

Last edited:
I'm surprised we don't have anybody on here from Chrysler (Stellantis) Kokomo transmission plant to chime in on where the OEM fill comes from.

OEM Fill for ZF 8 and 9 speed is Shell M-L12108

Also, relabeled as the following:

ZF LifeguardFluid 9 (ZF No. AA01.500.001), (ZF approval number ZF005946)ZF Lifeguard Hybrid 1 (ZF No. AA02.836.455), (ZF approval number ZF008352)=> BMW ATF 3+, Oil No. 83 22 2 289 720=> Honda ATF-Type 3.1.: 08263-999-01HE (EU), 08200-9017 (USA)=> Jaguar Oil No. 02JDE 26444 (7)=> Land Rover Oil No. LR023288 (7)=> Mercedes Benz MB 236.82 ATF A 000 989 65 05=> Stellantis Oil No. 68218925AB

There are also big names like Petro Canada also making "Suitable For Use" product locally, like the Duradrive LV MV full synthetic ATF.

Their spec sheet calls out "SFU" on ZF 6HP/8HP/9HP

2023-10-19_13-11.jpg

I recently noticed that Castrol Transmax "ATF/CVT Universal" is documented by Castrol as "Suitable for Use" in ZF 6HP/8HP
(refering to this document: https://www.castrol.com/content/dam...-oil-and-fluids/transmaxuniversalappsheet.pdf )

I see it on sale cheaper than Valvoline MaxLife Multivehicle ATF which is the popular non-OEM alternative I typically see used in those two transmissions.

I haven't seen a thread specific to this oil in ZF transmission, so wondering if anyone is using it and any feedback / impressions they may have?
Some inconsistencies in that document.

It states can be used in all BMW 6 speed step transmissions. BMW has been using the ZF8HP for almost a decade.
Second it states that it can be used in ZF 3 through 9 speed transmissions.
Third the BMW specifications under the "Detailed Step Shifting Application" doesn't match the ZF 8HP.

The document is a mess.

Some inconsistencies in that document.

It states can be used in all BMW 6 speed step transmissions. BMW has been using the ZF8HP for almost a decade.
Second it states that it can be used in ZF 3 through 9 speed transmissions.
Third the BMW specifications under the "Detailed Step Shifting Application" doesn't match the ZF 8HP.

The document is a mess.
ZF8 is used 12 years. It just made its way to US first time in X5 E70 2011.

Where have you seen it on sale cheaper than Maxlife? Maxlife is kind of the gold standard for low cost universals around here because you can get gallons at wally world. But I have used Transmax in the past in a Kia application and it worked much better than the OEM fluid.

Currently on walmart.com is cheaper than Max life

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-26-14-58-33-779.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-26-14-58-33-779.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_2023-10-26-14-58-06-811.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-26-14-58-06-811.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 22
Currently on walmart.com is cheaper than Max life
Any updates? I've been curious about this too. I wonder how Castrol Transmax ATF would perform in my Jag's ZF6HP26 vs Maxlife?

Btw, I do find some of these spec sheets to be very frustrating.
It is well established that the ZF Lifeguard 6 factory ATF was developed by Shell (M1375.4) and it is essentially identical to MERCON SP.
In the Petro-Canada link/document it says that the DuraDrive ATF is "suitable for use" in ZF - 6 speed transmissions.

It also says, "...not recommended for applications requiring Ford MERCON® SP."

This statement causes me a lot discomfort and would prevent me from using DuraDrive ATF in a ZF box.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back