YouTube Influencer crashes GA aircraft, questions on a lot of things

You would have to own the airplane. Nobody is going to rent you an airplane without all the documentation.

But you do not need a license to buy an airplane.

Yes, there are cops for airplanes - FAA inspectors. You can get a “ramp check” any time they feel like it. They will ask to see your logbook, aircraft maintenance records, medical certificate, pilots license, endorsements, all of it.

Up to them what to do if you fail to produce the requested documentation.

You don’t get pulled over in the sky - but the ramp check will make getting pulled over look like a pleasant experience.
The FFA goes out to airstrips? I can see at airports, but there are only a few of those and hundreds, if not thousands of landing strips. Lots of them here are nothing more than a bushogged opening in the woods or flattish shore by a river or lake

The FFA goes out to airstrips? I can see at airports, but there are only a few of those and hundreds, if not thousands of landing strips. Lots of them here are nothing more than a bushogged opening in the woods or flattish shore by a river or lake
Not often, but they occasionally do visit untowered airfields.

Also, in many places it's hard to fly anywhere without going through controlled airspace. If you don't do it properly, the FAA will track you down. With ADS-B, your tail number, position & altitude are constantly transmitted and recorded which makes that easy.

But if you're out in the sticks, flying at untowered airports, staying out of controlled airspace, there isn't much in the way of legal enforcement to prevent an unlicensed pilot from flying. People dumb enough to do that without a license are usually collected by Darwin, sooner or later. Note that I called them "people" not "pilots".

But technically they really are pilots............ Until they hit the ground. :ROFLMAO:
That reminds me of Colton Moore, the guy who was stealing airplanes, flying them around and crashing/damaging them. At one point his Mom said during an interview how proud she was that he "taught himself to be a pilot".

Curious, what stops me from flying without having a license? There cops for planes?
Technically nothing. There are supposedly hundreds of high hour experienced pilots flying in Alaska with no pilots license. From a few of my Aviation classes the FAA can only fine you $1500. No jail time etc.

The FAA can go anywhere they want in the United States. They have a rather broad jurisdiction. They may choose to focus their efforts in a place like Newark, or perhaps, at a midsized airport, but I have seen them at little tiny airports, like Chesapeake regional.

So, I don’t understand your incredulity, they can go wherever they like. Basic fines in aviation start at $10,000. They decide to fine you for an infraction, it starts at very expensive, and it usually requires a great deal of administrative effort, often with an attorney, to get the fine, and the certificate, action, lifted.

so, they probably won’t show up at your bush hog strip in the middle of nowhere. But when you land at in airport to get fuel for your illegally owned and illegally operated airplane, if you get caught, they impound the airplane, impose a $10,000 fine, and you’re grounded. Right then. Right there. Permanently - until you convince them that they’re wrong and you’re right.

I wish you luck with that if you’re flying without a license, or medical certificate.

I don’t understand your incredulity, they can go wherever they like.

... your illegally owned

On the first part - not everyone lives the life you have so far.. you've been immersed in it for decades, unlike the vast majority of us. It didn't seem an incredulous question to me?

On the second part - I thought any joker could *BUY* a plane? In fact, I have a customer who recently bought a Beech Bonanza and he didn't have a pilot license - it was one of those jump on it while it was still available sort of things.

On the first part - not everyone lives the life you have so far.. you've been immersed in it for decades, unlike the vast majority of us. It didn't seem an incredulous question to me?

On the second part - I thought any joker could *BUY* a plane? In fact, I have a customer who recently bought a Beech Bonanza and he didn't have a pilot license - it was one of those jump on it while it was still available sort of things.
My comment on the incredulity was about enforcement. The FAA isn’t like traffic cops - they’re not subject to the same limitations or rules since they’re administrative in nature. Inspections without warrant? Yep, administrative. Huge fine? Administrative. In very rare cases, they use the courts, but for the most part, suspension of license/certificate, big fines, and administrative actions are the bulk of their work.

On the second part - that’s the point on which we are all agreeing. You don’t need a license to buy a plane, just money. Lots of it, usually.

Technically, you don’t need a license to buy a car, either, though very few are actually in that position.

So, yeah, a non pilot can buy a plane.

So can a lousy pilot.

In addition to what Astro14 related, I feel compelled to mention there is another level of enforcement below the FAA (which is more than administrative, but Civil enforcement also, hence the $$,$$$,$$$ fines and civil penalties), but state and local law enforcement.
As a state conservation officer for 24yrs, (I’m also a Commercial, CFI, CFII,MEI) I had several occasions to deal with illegal operations involving aircraft.

In Alaska, and several other states, it is a FELONY, to harass, pursue , or take big game animals with the use of an aircraft, or hunt big game in the same 24hr period as occupying an aircraft. (ie: scouting, locating, spotting).
It’s also a felony to operate an aircraft in a reckless or dangerous manner. Specifically if it results in an injury or fatality. It’s also illegal under most (if not all) state laws to operate under the influence.
So yeah! The game warden is likely to show up at your bush hogged airstrip at the most inopertune time! In Alaska, they are also State Troopers, and most are pilots with issue aircraft…
Also Federal Aviation regulations require pilots upon request of any state, Federal, or local law enforcement agents to provide ID, and requested certificates (Pilot and medical) (it’s a certificate, not a Pilot’s “license”).

I was on several occasions summoned to local airports, including a private airstrip to investigate various complaints and on two occasions made arrests for operating under the influence. I also assisted two of my previousflight students who were a Sheriff deputy, and another, a State Trooper, who requested assistance. In another instance I assisted an out of state agency investigate a death resulting from an unauthorized operation of an aircraft by a fired flight instructor (whom I knew) who killed his girlfriend who walked into a moving propellor, attempting to remove a wheel chock. He washed the aircraft, ramp, and hid her body in a barrel, 200yds from the runway in a densely wooded area at a rural airport. FAA revoked his certificates, and he did 12mos on a 5yr conviction for concealing a death, and unauthorized use of the aircraft. (Plea bargained). It wasn’t the first time he had joy ridden a plane… They are VERY easy to steal, if you know what you’re doing…

So, that’s what prevents you from unauthorized operation of an aircraft. The FAA official position is that the regulations are “self enforcing”, meaning that someone has to complain or you manage to “tell on yourself “.
Besides, one of my former students was photographed in a staged photo that appeared he was buzzing a group at a beach (at a Lake I won’t mention). He was actually 200’ above them and 200’ offset as previously arranged (an important fact). However, the photo was staged to appear that one of the party members had his hand up and was skimmed by the landing gear on the Cessna 180.
It was posted on a Facebook page, and got many views! It also attracted a call by an FAA Inspector from the local FSDO! (Flight Standards District Office). He had to either ask for an administrative hearing with a judge (a Civil enforcement proceeding) or provide a written statement regarding the incident within 10days and agree to a non punitive resolution. He provided a DETAILED statement and received a nice response stating that they concluded that though he demonstrated poor judgement, but no further action was warranted. Just a (another!) letter in his file…
So, beware, big brother IS watching…
And I could go on, and on, with other happenings…
So, you might get away with things, until something happens, or someone talks….
And… Ever hear of “Google Earth”. Likely there’s an online picture of that bush hogged landing strip…
Among poachers, there is the admonition of SSS. Shoot? Shovel! and Shutup!

Last edited:
In addition to what Astro14 related, I feel compelled to mention there is another level of enforcement below the FAA (which is more than administrative, but Civil enforcement also, hence the $$,$$$,$$$ fines and civil penalties), but state and local law enforcement.
As a state conservation officer for 24yrs, (I’m also a Commercial, CFI, CFII,MEI) I had several occasions to deal with illegal operations involving aircraft.

In Alaska, and several other states, it is a FELONY, to harass, pursue , or take big game animals with the use of an aircraft, or hunt big game in the same 24hr period as occupying an aircraft. (ie: scouting, locating, spotting).
It’s also a felony to operate an aircraft in a reckless or dangerous manner. Specifically if it results in an injury or fatality. It’s also illegal under most (if not all) state laws to operate under the influence.
So yeah! The game warden is likely to show up at your bush hogged airstrip at the most inopertune time! In Alaska, they are also State Troopers, and most are pilots with issue aircraft…
Also Federal Aviation regulations require pilots upon request of any state, Federal, or local law enforcement agents to provide ID, and requested certificates (Pilot and medical) (it’s a certificate, not a Pilot’s “license”).

I was on several occasions summoned to local airports, including a private airstrip to investigate various complaints and on two occasions made arrests for operating under the influence. I also assisted two of my previousflight students who were a Sheriff deputy, and another, a State Trooper, who requested assistance. In another instance I assisted an out of state agency investigate a death resulting from an unauthorized operation of an aircraft by a fired flight instructor (whom I knew) who killed his girlfriend who walked into a moving propellor, attempting to remove a wheel chock. He washed the aircraft, ramp, and hid her body in a barrel, 200yds from the runway in a densely wooded area at a rural airport. FAA revoked his certificates, and he did 12mos on a 5yr conviction for concealing a death, and unauthorized use of the aircraft. (Plea bargained). It wasn’t the first time he had joy ridden a plane… They are VERY easy to steal, if you know what you’re doing…

So, that’s what prevents you from unauthorized operation of an aircraft. The FAA official position is that the regulations are “self enforcing”, meaning that someone has to complain or you manage to “tell on yourself “.
Besides, one of my former students was photographed in a staged photo that appeared he was buzzing a group at a beach (at a Lake I won’t mention). He was actually 200’ above them and 200’ offset as previously arranged (an important fact). However, the photo was staged to appear that one of the party members had his hand up and was skimmed by the landing gear on the Cessna 180.
It was posted on a Facebook page, and got many views! It also attracted a call by an FAA Inspector from the local FSDO! (Flight Standards District Office). He had to either ask for an administrative hearing with a judge (a Civil enforcement proceeding) or provide a written statement regarding the incident within 10days and agree to a non punitive resolution. He provided a DETAILED statement and received a nice response stating that they concluded that though he demonstrated poor judgement, but no further action was warranted. Just a (another!) letter in his file…
So, beware, big brother IS watching…
And I could go on, and on, with other happenings…
So, you might get away with things, until something happens, or someone talks….
And… Ever hear of “Google Earth”. Likely there’s an online picture of that bush hogged landing strip…
Among poachers, there is the admonition of SSS. Shoot? Shovel! and Shutup!
My aviation lawyer professor alwayscsaid the industry rule is 14 hours bottle to throttle

My aviation lawyer professor alwayscsaid the industry rule is 14 hours bottle to throttle
So many slightly different parameters…regulatory authorities and policies…
FAR is 8 hours, as @GooseGestapo said.
Company policies vary, but most are 12 hours.
Other nations have different requirements. Often 12 hours, and most of them 0.0%, with Jail as a the first enforcement option.

So many slightly different parameters…regulatory authorities and policies…
FAR is 8 hours, as @GooseGestapo said.
Company policies vary, but most are 12 hours.
Other nations have different requirements. Often 12 hours, and most of them 0.0%, with Jail as a the first enforcement option.
And in many of those countries jail usually resembles the scariest sci-fi movies.

Back