Your Television Setup >>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
OTA antenna ~32 channels.
PBS and TVO (TV Ontario, similar to PBS) my favorites
No contract - $0.00 cost
56.gif

High speed internet and basic cable, $100 monthly. Cable for her, I live on YouTube and the web. The presenter for “the real Russian blog” says YouTube is a whole ‘nother Network in itself - he’s right.

Way too high of a Bell satellite package, considering I probably watch at least as much on YouTube. The cost is close to $140 a month, and yes, I must do something about that. Considering they show the same programs on various networks that have nothing to do with each other (or the show), the overlap is getting bad.

In about 2008, we canceled cable and used our Wii with the Netflix app, and added the Amazon Prime Video app later on. In 2010, I built a HTPC with USB TV tuner for recording broadcast TV with Windows Media Center. Still using that setup on the same 40" plasma TV. It works, and does what we need.

Netflix + free channels (UK).
I used to get the cheapest cable package for many years, but after the last channel juggle ended up with very few shows I regularly watched, so cancelled.

We've got a Hyundai TV and Chromecast, I don't pay for any services. Since Xmas I've watched free to air TV a handful of times for the News, that's it. Our phone and internet provider gives us their version of netflix for free, the free to air channels have On Demand so we can watch their shows any time we like, and my SiL has Plex with hundreds of movies and TV shows, and music too. Oh, I watched a delayed MotoGP today on free to air. Loving the freedom.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I just bot a TCL-Roku TV and so far only have my OTA antenna hooked up to it. Have close to 30 channels for FREE.

What do you have and what does it cost a month?

We have about 30 free TV channels through our attic antenna that feeds approx 7 Coax cable outlets in the house.
On our main Great Room TV we also have a Channel Master (DVR but no longer available) which controls the free channels just like a regular pay TV DVR system with program guide recording etc.

WE also have 5 Ruku players on the TVs and subscribe to Netflex and Hulu+

Our TOTAL TV and Movie bill is less then or just at $20 a month.
This gives us literally hundreds and hundreds of channels and movies, way more then we could (or anyone) watch.

Since Channel Master no longer sells the excellent Channel Master DVR plus, we bought my son and daughter in law, for their house, a TiVo Antenna only box, it does the EXACT same thing, in fact I am so impressed with it I want it. Lifetime TV guide, Really smooth and Sweet TV guide, records up to 4 shows at once with its 4 built in tuners.
My son gets about 50 free channels through the antenna we installed at his house because he is a little closer to an area where he also gets out of state channels. My son also has Apple TV.

I consider myself and wife fortunate, not paying for TV is not as much about saving money as it is more about spending money, we cut all the [censored] out of our lives in all different ways that just sucks money out of our pockets and gives it to corporations for reason at all. Its amazing, the human animal, how research by corporations have figured out how to manipulate people into buying products they dont need and make them believe without such product they are "lost". Every week, people who dont think they have any money allow these companies to take money out of their paychecks for these services! TVs, Phones, cars they cant afford, Ins, ect, ect. :eek:)

Pay TV is all [censored], we get the same stuff and better stuff for $20 a month. Add to the savings in cell smart phones, insurance companies, ect, ect. Ohhh,,, dont get me started ! :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
We have about 30 free TV channels through our attic antenna

Can I get a link to the antenna ?

Originally Posted By: Silk
We've got a Hyundai TV and Chromecast, I don't pay for any services. Since Xmas I've watched free to air TV a handful of times for the News, that's it. Our phone and internet provider gives us their version of netflix for free, the free to air channels have On Demand so we can watch their shows any time we like, and my SiL has Plex with hundreds of movies and TV shows, and music too. Oh, I watched a delayed MotoGP today on free to air. Loving the freedom.

Do you get a 60K bumper to bumper and a 100K power train warranty on the Hyundai T.V.?

65" Sharp 4K tv, Cox cable since they gave us a deal with the internet for 1 year, 300 Mbps, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, still have Directv Now too. And an Apple TV.

I finally got the Modem/Router thing figured out and got ROKU working. Man what a pain !

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
We have about 30 free TV channels through our attic antenna

Can I get a link to the antenna ?

Sure, here you go.

I used an RCA from Lowes at my house, Click here

I used a Channel Master at my sons house, I think it was the 60 mile range because it was about the same size as the RCA.
They are both about equal but I felt the RCA was a little more sturdy but both work the same. never go less then 60 mile in an attic, its possible I may have used the 100 I cant remember.Click here

I do suggest you use the largest antenna you can fit within reason, if your furthest broadcast stations are 30 to 40 miles-direct line, not road lines, a 60 should be ok in the attic. But if in doubt go larger.

I also used, for the heck of it, a cheap signal boaster since I was feeding so many TVs off the antenna and have an extensive cabling network in my home, I would suggest it to anyone anyway, you do not want something to powerful anyway.
Click here

If you go to any of these sites, simply google "TV Antenna aiming" and you can enter your address and it will tell you how far away the broadcast towers are and what direction, using a compass to point the antenna.
Click here

If you want to have your TV antenna work jsut like a cable box with the broadcast stations and program guides you can buy one of these, fantastic device. I would wait until you are sure the antenna set up works as you want it too.
Click here

Its not rocket science, with some careful research and planning, you can have a rock solid system. For me, the cost was minimal and I was not looking to cut costs, I did everything right as this is a one time cost vs paying for TV EVERY month of the year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Warstud, that's because you are a few decades behind in technology.
smile.gif

Yea...I know. I've always had cable and the price just keeps going up.

I just bot a TCL-Roku TV and so far only have my OTA antenna hooked up to it. Have close to 30 channels for FREE.

What do you have and what does it cost a month?

Recenty did the 'cut the cable' thing and went OTA antenna and have a high end Roku device (supports 4K stteaming). Only monthly cost now is $45/mo for internet (already had) which is used for the TV steaming, computer and cell phone when in Wi-Fi mode.

Cutting the cable saved me $1200/year and I don't miss cable one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back