Roku Stick

Mom has a Roku stick on her TV . I just hooked up an Antenna to get her local channels . There on the TV itself because I couldnt figure out how to add them to Roku like my TCL Roku TV is . So the question is : Can you add OTA channels to a Roku Stick ?

Your mom is going to have to learn how to change the input/source on the TV from antenna to HDMI inputs (or whatever the stick uses, I have the stand-alone small boxes). Roku does not have locals except in the rare instance where a local channel also has a Roku App.

uh no. 2 separate inputs.

Basically it would be like trying to add FM radio to your tape deck.

There were some auxiliary inputs for tape decks. Mostly only worked for side insertion car audio decks though, where the cable would be out the end of the opening. Probably wouldn't work well in a traditional home tape deck.

51gSdQrofmL._AC_SL1250_.jpg

I've got OTA channels via Xfinity Stream, and that can be installed on Roku devices.

I have been rather disappointed at the streaming quality with the Roku Express I got for my father. It just seems like really low resolution most of the time, at least compared to streaming some of the same content via a computer and HDMI cable.

I've got OTA channels via Xfinity Stream, and that can be installed on Roku devices.

I have been rather disappointed at the streaming quality with the Roku Express I got for my father. It just seems like really low resolution most of the time, at least compared to streaming some of the same content via a computer and HDMI cable.
Roku express is only 720 x 1280.

You could upgrade to a newer, higher res roku if he has the bandwidth. They will automatically drop resolution however if the bandwidth isn't enough. And of course whatever your streaming needs to have the resolution also.

Basically it would be like trying to add FM radio to your tape deck.
That's an excellent analogy. Although the devices (radio and tape deck) connect together at the receiver/amplifier, they don't talk to each other, just like the Roku (via HDMI) can't talk to the OTA tuner, even though both are connected to the TV.

Can you add OTA channels to a Roku Stick ?
No. OTA channels by definition are captured by an antenna over-the-air (OTA) and are sent to the tuner built into your TV. Roku Stick does not have a TV tuner.

However, you can get local channels as part of a subscription plan to various streaming services such as Hulu, Peacock, Youtube TV, etc. Those services have Roku apps, so you would then be able to access those channels through those apps on the Roku.

You could upgrade to a newer, higher res roku if he has the bandwidth. They will automatically drop resolution however if the bandwidth isn't enough. And of course whatever your streaming needs to have the resolution also.

I’m at my parents’ place right now and looked at it. It’s a Roku Express 4K+.

I don’t know what the issue is but I don’t think it’s a bandwidth limitation. I can get a consistent 30 mbps on speed tests even with other users, and when I use the computer it’s via the same Wi-Fi. It may be related to the API for specific apps. Disney+, Paramount Plus, and Apple TV+ look fine. It’s a couple of sports apps with streaming feeds where the quality just drops often. It doesn’t look like a max resolution issue - just that it looks blocky most of the time.

I don’t know what the issue is but I don’t think it’s a bandwidth limitation. I can get a consistent 30 mbps on speed tests even with other users, and when I use the computer it’s via the same Wi-Fi. It may be related to the API for specific apps. Disney+, Paramount Plus, and Apple TV+ look fine. It’s a couple of sports apps with streaming feeds where the quality just drops often. It doesn’t look like a max resolution issue - just that it looks blocky most of the time.
Well if some streaming services are good and others are not, then its likely on those services I would say. I have always had Roku devices, both plug in and embedded, and they have always been fine - Netflix, Amazon, Youtube mostly.

I'm sure his Dad can't notice the difference.

Roku TV uses a Roku operating system on the TV itself, and has "channels" for each input on the back of the TV. It's a modified Roku operating system for TVs.

The Roku express is standalone like a DVD player in that it's just a media device that inputs via HDMI.

Each roku channel is responsible for providing their own content delivery. Roku doesn't host and stream anything. So those sports channels have poor content delivery.

Each roku channel is responsible for providing their own content delivery. Roku doesn't host and stream anything. So those sports channels have poor content delivery.

As far as I can tell, there isn't any kind of universal issue with the content delivery. I use different apps (like on a Samsung TV) and through a web interface and a video cable from the TV. Those typically look fine - at least more often than what I see from the same content streaming through a Roku Express 4K+.

No. OTA channels by definition are captured by an antenna over-the-air (OTA) and are sent to the tuner built into your TV. Roku Stick does not have a TV tuner.
Makes sense .... one advantage of getting a TV with Roku already installed .

Makes sense .... one advantage of getting a TV with Roku already installed .
The problem with Roku TVs is that you have to live with the very basic Roku remote control for the TV. The Roku remote is OK for operating a Roku device, but it sucks for operating a TV. The big negative for me is no direct channel access on the antenna TV channels because the Roku remote doesn't have a numeric keypad or a go-back/last channel key.

Mom has a Roku stick on her TV . I just hooked up an Antenna to get her local channels . There on the TV itself because I couldnt figure out how to add them to Roku like my TCL Roku TV is . So the question is : Can you add OTA channels to a Roku Stick ?
No, the stick does not have a tuner nor can interface with it.

The Roku TV has a better integration with OTA TV built in.

Back