Your opinion of how this VW GLI looks

I don’t care for black wheels either.

If I were going to the expense of having them refinished, it would be with the usual alloy silver or maybe the darker gray color.

The bronze Camry wheels don’t look bad on it, but I’m not sure how that would work with the GLI. Go for it if that is what you want.

IMG_1947.jpeg

I dig it, nice little ride. I’m not in love with all black wheels but I hate chrome wheels so anything else seems fine. My last truck had a black and gunmetal fuel wheel. Nice VW.

If you change the color, consider a slightly darker blue than the car. I have a Lightning Blue F150 and it has these gunmetal factory wheels that look good, but I've seen some painted blue that look really sharp on it.

Personally, I don't like black rims on anything. They "null" the whole look of the car. 20 feet away you are forcing yourself to try to figure out the rim style if the light is not hitting it. From 40 ft on you might as well have black steel rims. When I see black rims, I don't even really look at the car, since for me personally it cheapens the car. Looks like the non hubcap steel rim look.

As far as the gold rims, it is a bit of a mid 80's color. I still like them on some cars, like a blue WRX. Black rims have ZERO personality. BORING!!! They add nothing to the cars looks, they only bring a negative to the car. They steal all interest to even look at the car for me. A buddy of mine said check that car out, I said why, it has black rims. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
That's the 40th Anniversary edition, if you buy it with stick shift and keep it as is, it'll keep its value as it is the last manual transmission VW available in North America. So i wouldn't change the wheel color. Also gold rims on blue = Subaru STI, I wouldn't do it at all.

The black rims look good but I'd personally not choose blue. There are better color options. Blue color + red accents + chrome parts + black wheels are just too much.

It is a stick. 2024 is the last year for a GLI with a stick. Blue isint my favorite color. The car doesn’t come in any color I’m really fond of. VW is making 1984 of the 40th anniversary editions and there are fewer ones left to chose from. It has no sunroof and an adjustable suspension which I want. It’s a drivers car that gets acceptable fuel economy to boot.

It is a stick. 2024 is the last year for a GLI with a stick. Blue isint my favorite color. The car doesn’t come in any color I’m really fond of. VW is making 1984 of the 40th anniversary editions and there are fewer ones left to chose from. It has no sunroof and an adjustable suspension which I want. It’s a drivers car that gets acceptable fuel economy to boot.
That is the best news! VW for some reason does not make a sunroof that doesnt leak at some point, over the years I have done a couple of sunroof deletes on these cars they leaked so bad or the mechanism or drains failed.

It looks like black 18” wheels is the only offering for the GLI.
Not having a sun roof is a plus. A hole in the roof will bring you trouble down the road.

Personal bugaboo revealed by the picture of the front.
The front has chrome and dull chrome accents.
Thou shalt not mix 'silver' and 'gold' on a car. Back when Cadillac did it on whatever bathtub it was, it looked so tasteless...so gosh.
Pick one metal highlight.
WORSE: Sis' Genesis has 3 colors of mirrored highlights and it looks so cheap.

Back