Your Most RELIABLE, TROUBLE-FREE Vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Cars we've driven past 200K with only normal maintenance and wear part replacements:

'78 Mercedes 240D

'86 Civic Wagon

'97 Accord coupe

Cars we've driven past 170K with only normal maintenance and wear part replacements:

'95 BMW 318iC

'97 Aerostar

'99 Accord sedan

100K cars that have needed same:

'81 VW Vanagon

'88 Mercedes 230E

'09 Subaru Forester

'12 Accord sedan

Modern cars will typically run for many years and miles while needing little.

Different folks have different ideas of what a wear part is. For some it's stuff like struts or a muffler. For me, it''s just brakes and tires.

Gotcha.
In the case of all of the above, I replaced batteries, tires, brakes and clutches.
Nothing else that wasn't recommended maintenance.

Gotta be the 01 Tundra V8. Suspension front end refreshed, rear end resealed, bilstien shocks all around, performed 2nd timing belt job (t-belt pulleys were prematurely failing and didn't want to take the chance of an idler pulley wiping out the belt), all new brakes front and rear (thanks leaky rear axle seals.) JBA titanium ceramic coated exhaust headers to replace the fleabay headers which replaced the factory fail-prone log-style exhaust manifold. One starter change but had to pull the manifold twice because I used AF gaskets which crumbled apart (always OEM for gaskets.)

Original engine accessories, drivetrain components and regular engine maintenance for a truck that's barely broken in with 174,000mi on it.

Last edited:
2009 Honda CRV. 220k mi, nothing but oil, filters, and tires. Ran great up to the day daughter totaled it.

My 1995 318ti Club Sport- bought new, it was my HPDE instructor car until 2012. It's now a weekend toy/garage queen.

2010 Toyota Corolla, 188K miles, purchased with 33.5K. For repairs, so far I have replaced the AUX jack, worn out by my Bluetooth adapter.

Normal maintenance only + regular ATF changes. Tires wear evenly and last a long time. Brakes last nigh forever.

Well, a few recalls, nothing that was a problem to me, just did them for safety. Free of course.

2008 Toyota Yaris - Sedan - Auto - 209,900km and still running like a champ!.. body has no rust except for a small amount on the from passenger door on the inside seam(bottom)..

Normal maintenance, so far, only had to replace the alternator(75,000km) and water pump(45,000km).. both under warranty..

Looking forward to keeping it to hopefully 400,000 to 500,000km and 15+ years..

Believe it or not! 1977 Ford LTD 2 door with the 351M engine in it. Owned for 5 years waaaayy back in the day and NEVER had a minutes worth of trouble with it. Must have had 175,000 miles or so when I got rid of it, not sure anymore.

so far it is my trailblazer. Had it over 12 years now. It has needed parts and only left me stranded once when the outer tie rod let go (I knew it was wearing out and was pricing parts out so it was my fault for letting it go that far). Otherwise it starts when I want it to, the engine and trans have been quite solid thus far.

2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser trail teams edition .
Despite hard use on mountain trails, snow driving, and a fuel tank I thought was a little to small this vehicle never gave me a problem in 7 years, not a [censored] repair that wasn't scheduled maintenance. Most regretted sale ever. That vehicle would go another 20-30 years.

My 1994 Dodge 2500 Cummins. Oil changes, grease, tires, front disc pads (once) and king pins, are the only maintainence items since new.

You know, I forgot to mention that my Integra did need a new power antenna since it would no longer retract and was kind of stuck halfway. Cost me $75 installed at a dealer. I understand it's not all that unusual. Previous car I drove was an '89 Integra RS, and that antenna was manually extended/retracted outside the window. Didn't really have any mechanical issues, but after a while it wouldn't come out straight after hundreds of times being put back in and out.

'67 Plymouth Valiant, with slant-6.
I think what made it stand out in the '70's was the dearth of dependable new cars.
You'd say 'they don't make them like they used to'.
But, it wasn't mine.

Last edited:
1993 Ford Explorer xlt with a 5 speed. This was my very first new car. Never had any issues other than a catalytic converter which was replaced under warranty. Other than normal maitenence stuff ( brakes clutch etc) that suv never ever let me down. Sold it a year after I got married in 08 with 265k miles. The guy that bought it couldn't believe the condition it was in and didn't haggle my asking price.

So far the ONLY vehicle I ever purchased new that has NOT required warranty work or repairs and never broken down is the wife's 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4. It just turned 97k miles. I have not had to do ANY repairs to it. Just oil changes and filters. The brakes still look fine but I will replace then all when I do the plugs at 100k. There was a recall for the shift programming but I don't consider that a defect....some stupid person got out in drive and ran themselves over so they reprogrammed them all to not automatically go in park with door opened. I hate that because you cannot open the door when parking if you need to look closely, it will throw itself in park. My daily driver 2008 CTS 3.6DI is reliable and no major issues once the timing chains were replaced at 40k miles. It has 161k miles now. I simply don't consider it my most trouble free ownership based on all the issues I had early on and a few that happened after warranty. So far, my 2016 RAM LIMITED 4x4 is trouble free at 45k miles. The 2006 Denali pickup made it to 155k miles before needing a transfer case due to pump rub and then at 158k the transmission went out. So it gave me years of reliable use and my son has it now.

I think most cars built today are reliable - just the trim parts and infotainment/electrical parts cause issues,

My 2000 Toyota Echo, 320,256 miles. Only replaced normal wear & tear parts except the catalytic converter & both O2 sensors. Original clutch.

Our current Santa Fe Sport 2.0 (GDI TURBO)
Yup, a GDi Turbo reliable? One that's even seen dino oil and 87 octane course through her veins? Yes, this vehicle has been, by far, the most reliable , trouble free 149k miles ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back