Yearly Car Maintenance Cost?

Just curious, what is considered an average expense in terms of yearly maintenance or upkeep cost for a paid beater car?

Of course, too many variables in it but just trying to understand what you guys think is average or considered normal? Thanks

I kept all records on my 2002 Saturn L200 I owned for four years & put on 22,705 miles. I paid $1,800 for the car w/128k on it.

$1,568.51 Repairs & Maintenance
$801.63 for liability only insurance in MO
$249.07 Tags/Inspections
= $2,619.21 Total cost to run it for those 22,707 Miles & four years time. It did need a new power steering rack due to slight leak but gave it to our niece for a starter car. She's still ripping around in it 2 years later.

If we assume one year national average of driving is 15,000 miles that would mean you'd need to have around $1,730 annually.

Last edited:
BITOG is going to be a skewed data point(lower side) - just trying to understand from average society stand point? :D

Way too many variables. What car. How much you drive it. Is it rusted out, or a nice Southern car.

I have a 2008 Xterra which my duaghter recently drove away in. Its been the 3rd car since summer of 2019, and from my spreadsheet I would say $3000 during that time, including the $1400 I just spent on tires, TPMS and new battery. Other than the tires it was all DIY. I would say maybe $800 per year. That included a new rad, a bunch of hoses changed pre-emptively, brakes all the way around and a used power steering pump. Of course it was pristine in 2019 and still is.

Now if your paying labor, triple that probably - so $3000 a year?

For comparison, the federal mileage rate will be 0.67 cents per mile in 2024 and an article I found says it is based on:

Variable costs include:
  • Fuel
  • Oil
  • Tire wear
  • Maintenance
  • Repairs
Fixed costs include:
  • Insurance
  • Registration
  • Lease payments
  • Depreciation

I could try to run some numbers, but any data from about 4 years ago is useless now.

I do keep records but rarely look at them.

after 5 years of a new car, most cost analysis is highly variable and dependent on how a beater car is treated.

Average bitoger probably does biannual oil changes, wiper blades.
Some average joe.jane might think annual oil changes is good enough.

I've had my Mazda for 5 years 25k miles and all its cost me is a clutch and a thermostat (did both myself) since those its been essentially free driving. Annual oil change with whatever cheap stuff is in the stash.

My '92 Volvo 940 has cost me this year,

$20 for one oil change with Mann filter
$65 to have the original Bosch alternator rebuilt
annual registration ~$65 including property tax
insurance, maybe $200
zero depreciation

last year,

one oil change
replaced front shocks plus strut mounts ~$130
one new Walmart battery $120
ins. tax+tags as above
two years ~$740

My daily Honda Civic has very low maintenance costs and it varies from year to year. On a good year it saves me a lot of money because it's great on gas, tires and batteries are inexpensive and I do the oil changes and trans fluid drain and fills myself. I don't really document anything on my vehicles and tend to overservice them.

The figures in Finland are the following.

Total cost for 10k miles/year driving:
-Gasoline = $0.24/mile
Other costs on top of that (insurance, taxes, yearly safety inspection, tires, maintenance, car value depreciation, …):
-$0.08/mile for an old car (no depreciation + you maintain yourself)
-$0.32/mile for a newer car (more depreciation + more expensive insurance + maintenance at a shop)
-$0.48/mile for a new car (most depreciation + more expensive insurance + maintenance at the dealer)

This is why I have chosen to drive an old car and maintain it myself…

Last edited:
At some point a timing belt car and a solid lifter/ tappet car needs either your time and skill or the shops.

A V6 with a belt will cost about 1500 bones to have a shop do the rollers/tensioners water pump and belt.

These services are expensive and often ignored.

Inline 4 cars and hydraulic lash cars are better beaters in this regards.

Always owned older cars and serviced them myself. I keep records and I am surprised that on average I spend about $500/year or more on parts or services I can't do my self.

Examples of unavoidable expenses.
Tires $150/year
Battery $20/year
Oil changes $100/year
Brakes $40/year
Trans-radiator fluid upkeep $25/year

At some point a timing belt car and a solid lifter/ tappet car needs either your time and skill or the shops.

A V6 with a belt will cost about 1500 bones to have a shop do the rollers/tensioners water pump and belt.

These services are expensive and often ignored.

Inline 4 cars and hydraulic lash cars are better beaters in this regards.
This is my strategy too, get a beater where you shouldn't have to do any major work on the engine or the drivetrain.
For the last few years I think I average ~$200-250 in parts with the Focus. It seems to like wear front suspension and steering components out, 1 or 2 per year. A new blower fan and front subframe were this years big costs at $400. I decided to challenge myself to do the front sub frame and it was a good workout.
If you can't or don't want to do suspension and brakes, and minor stuff on a car, then a beater doesn't save much if any money over something new with low depreciation.

This is my strategy too, get a beater where you shouldn't have to do any major work on the engine or the drivetrain.
For the last few years I think I average ~$200-250 in parts with the Focus. It seems to like wear front suspension and steering components out, 1 or 2 per year. A new blower fan and front subframe were this years big costs at $400. I decided to challenge myself to do the front sub frame and it was a good workout.
If you can't or don't want to do suspension and brakes, and minor stuff on a car, then a beater doesn't save much if any money over something new with low depreciation.

Most guys dont have the shorts for suspension work. Hats off.

Back