YANK torque converters No Synthetic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I am a member of another site and recently a few members were blaming synthetic atf for failures in 4L60e trannys. I find it hard to believe. Someone mentioned that YANK who make high performance torque converters says you CANNOT run any synthetic atf period. I decided to email Yank to get an answer as to why. FWIW, Rossler performance transmissions and many others have ZERO issue with the use of a synthetic DEX III.

Yanks response- Synthetic based oils are designed to be slippery to reduce friction this is not what you want in a performance clutch application if you are to drive normal or like granny that use them!
But the clutch material used in production and the sprags that are in the converter and transmission have a surface designed for standard type fluids and do not hold well with slippery oils.

I find this statement to be a bit strange. I guess friction modifiers and other additives have no effect in formulating a synthetic atf!
smirk2.gif
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79

Yanks response- Synthetic based oils are designed to be slippery to reduce friction this is not what you want in a performance clutch application if you are to drive normal or like granny that use them!
But the clutch material used in production and the sprags that are in the converter and transmission have a surface designed for standard type fluids and do not hold well with slippery oils.

I find this statement to be a bit strange. I guess friction modifiers and other additives have no effect in formulating a synthetic atf!
smirk2.gif
Thoughts?

Sounds like Yank is designing torque convertors by voodoo. Add them to my "not even when heck freezes over" list of suppliers...

I knew I wasn't the only crazy one! Depends on what Dexron VI you are talking about. Last time I checked the GM fluid was a blend. Valvoline and a few others are "full synthetic".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jason2007
isnt Dexron VI synthetic-blend ?

Valvoline dex 6 is full synthetic. The rest i have seen are blends.

Again exactly why I rolled my eyes when I saw yanks response. I am converting my turbo camaro from a T-56 to a built 4L80e w/ a Rossler TransBrake and a high stall converter. Naturally I first considered yank, until I dug a bit deeper.

Maybe YANK was referring to Dex V multi vehicle fluids that say they are okay for Dex 3. I have read articles before about some trannys having issues with multi vehicle fluids. GM specifically instructs against using synthetic multi vehicle fluids that say Dex 3 compatible. They do say it is okay to use Dex 6 because it has the same frictional properties as Dex 3 but is make from better base stocks and has a starting viscosity that is about 2 cSt thinner than reg dex 3.

Nope they were talking about "ANY" synthetic atf. Most of the guys run Dex III in applications like mine or a blend of Dex III and Type F conventional or syn. The warning against syn atf is listed on their site. I thought the same thing myself until I looked into it further.

Last edited:
If they were indeed talking about any synthetic, then too me it is a ridiculous statement. The fact is synthetic does not speak at all to its frictional properties. The blenders would control that. Maybe on there defense, they tested all available synthetic ATFs and found them to be more friction modified than all other dino counterparts. Seems very unlikely this would be the case though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jstutz
Maybe YANK was referring to Dex V multi vehicle fluids that say they are okay for Dex 3. I have read articles before about some trannys having issues with multi vehicle fluids. GM specifically instructs against using synthetic multi vehicle fluids that say Dex 3 compatible. They do say it is okay to use Dex 6 because it has the same frictional properties as Dex 3 but is make from better base stocks and has a starting viscosity that is about 2 cSt thinner than reg dex 3.

I have never seen a Dex V multi vehicle fluid, and as far as I know Dex VI was GM only. I find it interesting when companies say things like this. I know a differential maker for one of their differentials says a synthetic fluid is so slippery and it will make the differential not work as well.

maybe its mercon V. Mobil 1 used to say xxxxV multi vehicle on it i think. I have been using it in my blazer for about 170k miles. It still is working great. I really dont know much about tranny fluids. I just trusted M1 when they said it was okay for dex 3 apps but have been second guessing myself since i seen the GM bulletin saying not to use multivehicle fluids and i believe they actually referenced M1, cant remember for sure though.

Here is some more entertainment. Part 2 of his two email resonse.

I have been working with GM motorsports in testing Converters for Drag racing and offroad about 20 years
and we have found if the transmission from the design phase was made for synthetic based fluid than they are ok, But most 4l60E based transmissions in LT1 or LS1 are build / designed for conventional fluid.
The fluid will not hurt the internals of the converter but will not allow the clutch to come on as fast as the market wants and will not give the quick lock up during racing use that is liked.

In non lock up converters it makes no difference what fluid you use as long as it will flows thru the converter at the needed exchange rate for the RPM range requiered

I have planty of support data on this .

The 4L60 tranny line fails regularly be it conventional or synthetic fluid. It is a poor transmission design period.

However, there are TONS of guys who have run synthetic ATF with no problems with the 4L60 tranny and I am one( RP MaxATf in 05 Silverado ).The transmission performed BETTEr with it from regular driving to towing to when I booted it.

That guy from YANK sounds like a service writer at a dealer saying you will void your warranty for XXXXX... No clue!

That guy need to show his support data. All you Corvette owners out there with automatics, does it say anywhere in your owners manuals not to use a synthetic ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back