Wrong of me to boycott places that didn’t hire me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a long time ago, I applied at Autozone, O'Reilly's, Starbucks and a few other places like Valvoline Oil Change.

As a side note, O'Reilly's wanted more car knowledge than Autozone. The guys working there looked much older, so I'm not too upset about them saying no. But at the same time, it's not that hard to type in make, year and model to look for parts.

I couldn't even get an interview at a McDonald's. Yeah, no convictions. I did not have zero work history, but apparently that's a pre req to working there. Idk.

Anyways, these places wouldn't hire me. Until that point, I felt bad for places that had to compete with Walmart, given the ability to price cut any competition. I even bought a battery from an O'Reilly's when a Walmart was in walking distance.

Now, granted my work experience was not that great, but how important is that working at a coffee joint? Or auto parts store counter? If I was neighbors to a manager at one of those places, they would try me out, I would suspect. But with no connection at all, they had no problem rejecting someone trying to make an honest living.

So, is it petty of me to avoid shopping at places that did not want to hire me?

"We are here to do business, and we do not think that you can help us with such goals."

"Oh, ok. When I need to do business with places that offer what you offer, I will go elsewhere."

The human in me still feels bad for them, and maybe I should at least give them a call to price match. But... The human in me was wondering how to pay for basic needs.

But I def don't feel bad for Starbucks. I'll go there just to use up free WiFi and cost them lol. A little tacky to walk in there with 7-11 coffee though.

Considering how many places need the help now a days, it comes off as a bit surprising.
But, there could other factors at play here
(Politics, area, etc)

How old are you? There may be something "off" about the "package" you present.

They do say it's easier to job-hunt when you already have a job.

Also if you approach life with a vengeful attitude, that might show in ways you don't yourself perceive.

A few years ago when I managed a Data Center and we had a surplus of people when looking for employees I was very picky. I wanted motivated people overly qualified people don't stick around long. The first couple of times I applied with this company the manager didn't hire me but it turned into a 29.5 year career. Better opportunity lays ahead let it go.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
Considering how many places need the help now a days, it comes off as a bit surprising.
(Politics, area, etc)

Well yeah. It's a rather well-off, white area. My first and last name are names you may hear in certain countries that the US government imports crude oil from.

You may have more luck at a Walmart type store where Corporate does the hiring decisions. McDonalds is owned by franchisees, mostly.

We have a lot of Somalians working at WMs around here... WM flies a banner of not discriminating, but they also want to scoop up help that has few other apparent options because they'll be more loyal. Pragmatic.

Then with "retail experience" the world should be your oyster.

I don't think it's either petty or inappropriate.
Since they didn't think that you were good enough to work for them, I'd find no fault with your taking your money elsewhere.
If I applied for a position I was qualified for with a company that was hiring and was told to get lost, I doubt that I'd be giving that company any of my hard earned cash.
From your posts, it appears that you were profiled and discarded on that basis.
Imagine that in what some think to be a socially aware and progressive state.

Originally Posted by BossMoss
Originally Posted by daves87rs
(Politics, area, etc)

Well yeah. It's a rather well-off, white area. My first and last name are names you may hear in certain countries that the US government imports crude oil from.

I can understand how that could be an issue. You may need to network. Build relationships so people get to know you. Talk with your friends never burn a bridge behind you. If you can network so people know you , and your skills it will overcome the fear.

Also don't give up, keep politely inquiring, when you make a purchase, talk to the staff and manager. Persistence can pay off.

Last edited:

It's not like I'm hating and angry; it's more like, "I had heart and tried to show some loyalty to your business when you didn't remotely have some semblance of that in return. Ok, I'll reciprocate."

Lol did you rub you rub it in all? "I'm here for decades now, so clearly your judgement back then was off."

This thread is interesting because it's not connected to the ground.

1) "...a rather well off, white area..." Are the existing employees all white with you being some other hue?
2) Are you covered with tattoos? Like it or not, that can look funny.
3) Do you smoke? You might smell disgusting. Also, employers will always opt for workers they don't have to pay to step outside very 20 minutes to smoke.
4) Is your spoken English bad? Is your speech sprinkled with profanities? Do you speak in sentences from TV show dialogs? That really sounds stupid.
5) Regarding the "vengeful attitude" mentioned above....there are other "attitudes" too. A friend of mine went to apply for a job managing a new Tractor Supply. He was smart enough to do the job but showed up in filthy, oil spotted clothes. He clearly was just going through the motions for what reason I do not know. Are you doing the same thing?
6) How's your posture? Can you stand still or do you fidget like a shoplifter who's trying to be invisible?
7) Do you live on a diet of sugar and carbs and constantly jerk around like you have a nervous disorder?
8) While waiting for an interview did you spend the entire time with your face glued to your cell phone?
9) Did you fall for the "dirty magazine on the waiting room table" trick?
10) Are you nourished and healthy. Nobody wants to hire a diseased looking skeleton.
11) Facial hair? Unruly head hair?
12) How were you dressed? That tee shirt with the bad imitation Warner Brothers art work of the Tasmanian Devil chopping Buggs Bunny's head off is a progress dampener.

There's no way anybody can read the description of your experiences and have anything to go on. There was an aimlessness to your post.
Tighten things up and try elsewhere.
Regarding "boycotting" places which didn't hire you....? Go to any store as needed. Inconveniencing yourself by buying car stuff at a distant location of one of the same stores isn't going to solve anything. Who knows, maybe you can discern a need for help at one of those shops at a later time. Also, managers do change.

You sure can skip the Starbucks as you're looking for a job. Nobody needs to patronize "Four-bucks" coffee shops in the first place. That goes double for someone needing work. I know a guy who spends SEVEN TIMES my electric bill at Fourbucks every month. We did the math.

No convictions, but do you have any criminal charges that were dismissed? Many employers tend to look for those when possible like on county court websites.

Looks matter. How are your teeth, are you ugly or weird looking, do you look like Charles Manson? Mannerism matters, too.

Are you over qualified? They may not wanna hire you if you worked higher paying jobs like at a warehouse or construction.

Maybe your being negative and/or saying the wrong crap during an interview. Hint: Never speak badly about your previous employers and don't use words like crap.

Well, avoiding McDonalds and cheap auto parts stores can be a good idea for other reasons...

I can see why you might want to avoid places that turned their nose up at you, but I wouldn't. First, those who dismissed you might not be there tomorrow--there is a turnover rate at all companies, even in the upper echelons of management, and I'm pretty sure the places you went have high turnover rate. Second, no sense in cutting your nose to spite your face--why spend more to avoid something when you can save a buck? Let bygones be bygones. Otherwise you'll find you always have a grudge to hold.

Good luck on the job search, it's no fun.

Sometimes one location won't want you for whatever reason (like they just hired the nephew but have to hold interviews to appear fair) and you can apply at another location and get hired.

Wrong to boycott? Nope, that's a personal preference and I respect it.

How many other applicants did they have? I'm sure that they get several a day and with that much competition you have a slim chance of getting hired. Also remember that relatives,friends , kids of customers they know by name get chosen first

When I go for an interview:

I ALWAYS wear a suit and tie.
Always greet with a smile,firm confident handshake.
Always say "Yes mam,yes sir"
Maintain eye contact.
Always speak and conduct yourself as being very educated and mature.

The most important one,dress for success. No matter where you're applying,ALWAYS wear a suit and tie. And like the other poster said,these days it's all about networking. It's not what you know but who you know.

Back when I was a young man, You could pretty much find employment any where with little or no experience. Companies were willing to train you and mold you into something. Times have changed and most companies don't want to give folks a chance, Or they want you to have some college degree only to start you at $13 hour. How are you supposed to have work experience if places won't hire you? Not to sound harsh but Mcdeath, Bugger King, and even Auto parts store don't require you to have a huge mental capacity. Just be a hard worker. I did Mcdeath when I was younger, Most if not all were not rocket scientists including myself. You just had to do a good job and keep up a fast pace. Auto part stores are way different than 30 years ago when most if not all the guys working there were gear heads and knew a lot about cars. Now you just look stuff up on the computer. Just dig your heels in and keep your head up. Something good will happen for you.

Last edited:
1) Yeah mostly white but there are other non-white folks. But no folks that would have random inspections by the TSA.

2) No tattoos.

3) I actually pride myself in smelling amazing. One Christmas I gave out fragrance gift boxes to many people. I came in there smelling like Burberry Touch on one arm and Titanium by Lamborghini on the other.

I do feel the urge to go out of my way to show that I am not a terrorist.

4) Perfeft English. Standard white vernacular.

5) smiling, energetic. Excited.

6) good posture. I work on it ever since I went to physical therapy for a shoulder issue.

7) I kept my composure. No weird body motions. I saw enough body language videos to not look like weirdo.

8-9) I came early and they asked me to wait outside or in my car.

10) I have a slight double chin. I did not know that looking skinny was a disqualifier.

11) Clean shaven fresh haircut.

12) polo shirt and jeans. I did not want to look too posh with a dress shirt, tie and pants. As in, dressing nice to work in a "dirty" job. I didn't want to look out of place too much. This one is tricky bc they might think I want to leave soon after being hired.

I had one pot possession citation years ago that the DA dismissed the case of outright at the arraignment. Police have a policy to not write those as it clogs the system. And the parole board I heard don't even drug test for it.

I also applied at Discount Tire. Their owner who just died earlier this year donated big time to prevent pot legalisation in Arizona I believe. I asked the guy if there are any deficiencies in my interview, he said no. He said he will do a background check. I didn't hear from him after. Although that might be a strategy to wait for the candidate to call back; they keep sending me emails for open positions, listing like 10 per email.

It's a blessing, I guess.

I would say things in interviews that would be in conversations that the executives would have. Like long term strategy of the company and what not. They might have thought I was "too good" and move on quickly, but I would bring chocolate to the interview and show up multiple times to ask for updates, clearly showing I want the job.

I'm going to attend a software writing program.

It's just I don't know what to make of it all. Am I just a really horrible candidate? I see new people all the time at McDonald's. Multiple locations.

Do I need to examine every area of my life to revamp myself top to bottom.

OP starts out with "So a long time ago I applied at...". and apparently is still boycotting these businesses. OK, lots of other places to buy stuff but what's the point of your post? Looking for reasons to still not buy there or looking for reasons to buy from then again? Maybe you've punished them enough and it's time to let it go?

We all don't buy from certain businesses for countless reasons.

Did he ask for comprehensive advice on how to interview for a job?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
OP starts out with "So a long time ago I applied at...". and apparently is still boycotting these businesses. OK, lots of other places to buy stuff but what's the point of your post? Looking for reasons to still not buy there or looking for reasons to buy from then again? Maybe you've punished them enough and it's time to let it go?

We all don't buy from certain businesses for countless reasons.

Did he ask for comprehensive advice on how to interview for a job?

Yeah, I eventually found an Indian family willing to hire me. No, not 7-11.

I was wondering if it was petty to not buy. And people keep asking questions about the hiring process.

But yeah advice would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back