Would you recommend Everstart or is there truth in the alternative name 'NeverStart'?

Good battery for the price. I think they are about the same as what Costco / AAA sell at the same warranty level but a lot cheaper.

No. Not a lot cheaper. More expensive. This battery is $119 at Costco:

1701292793137.png

1701292878450.png

I have had several Walmart batteries over the years. No issues in general. If there are, Walmart is the easiest place to deal with IMHO.

Here there made by Johnson controls. You can tell because the serial starts with the letters "JCI". In other states there made by East Penn. There serial starts with "EP"

I have had all three "grades". I have a $55 - 24F basic model in my Xterra. Its 2 years old, still works. I have the Maxx in my truck, its almost 3 years but just about shot. That's about all you get here out of anything - too much heat. The OEM batteries were worse.

The longest lasting one I had was the middle grade - the 24 month I think. It was made in Spain. It lasted almost 4.

There are walmart's everywhere, and they honor their warranty without much trouble, so I keep buying.

I've got an H7 AGM Everstart Maxx (made in Germany if that even matters) and it's awesome. Cranks very fast and even in frigid temps. Granted, I never owned an AGM Everstart before but so far it's been great this year!

I installed one of those cheap $49.00 Everstarts in a relatives car. Going on 5 years and running strong. Price has gone up a bit since then but still a bargain battery.

View attachment 190804
View attachment 190805
The issue being if the battery dies in small town America on vacation, the Costco battery will be MORE EXPENSIVE because you will have to buy a new one. A Walmart going to be up the road or in the next town with 15,000 people. I have been all over the roads in this country and can tell you this is the case.

The issue being if the battery dies in small town America on vacation, the Costco battery will be MORE EXPENSIVE because you will have to buy a new one. A Walmart going to be up the road or in the next town with 15,000 people. I have been all over the roads in this country and can tell you this is the case.

You can return the old Costco battery for a refund. That's how Costco handles their battery warranty. You are not required to get a new from Costco as a remedy for the warranty. My experience is that batteries rarely fail in the warranty period.. the one time I did have a battery fail in the warranty period, the fact that it was in a rarely-driven car probably had a lot to do with it.

Last edited:
Although they can be made in China or Mexico, the one I bought a few weeks ago was made in the USA. My last one lasted 6-1/2 years before the voltage dropped down below 12 volts on freezing days. It never stranded me. It has a three year free replacement warranty and five year prorated warranty.

34070B22-7C29-4C63-9F16-B42C36470CE5.jpeg

Last edited:
Have found Everstart batteries to offer best value where I live. No issues with reliability and plan to replace OEM batteries with Everstart Platinum AGM batteries in the future as needed, unless price or reliability moves in the wrong direction significantly. Biggest challenge for me will be the registration and coding required for new batteries after the install.

Need H8 size, one of the most expensive but based on the OEM Varta batteries seems to be worth it. I know Varta are premium priced over here in the US so NOT going there. Take trip to Europe. You will find they are the regular everyday brand at most retailers, but not realistic to bring home in the luggage.

View attachment 190804
View attachment 190805
Not everyone has a costco membership, nor a costco nearby.

And while you have not had a battery fail under warranty, many have, and being able to run to any Walmart that has batteries is a huge convenience (I have done it twice in 10 years).

So it is an option for some, not all.

The "Neverstart" moniker started quite a while back. I've forgotten who the supplier was but it was prior to when the real Johnson Controls got the contract for some years. Perhaps more than 20 or so years ago. Whatever they were, they truly were very bad. Johnson Controls got Walmart some good rep on the line when they got the contract. Adv. Auto used to sell the same line at a higher price. On a decent AA sale, they were very close to Walmart. I had a several of the old JC WM and AA Silver mid line batteries give impressive long service.

In more recent years and manufacturers, I had an Everstart Plus purchased in 2017, fail a week after it's 2 year warranty was up. I have 2 Everstart Maxx's that are 50 months old on non pro-rated 3 year warranties. The group 24 (not F) is starting to show signs of going. The other is a group 35 and doing fine.

There were both maintenance type and maintenance free batteries available on the rack when I purchased my maintenance type Group 36 Maxx with two easily removable caps. Some other batteries were maintenance free.

No group had both types of maintenance categories available. So, in addition to ambient temperature there is the issue of what maintenance category they are. I’m not sure if there is a general preference. I’m OK with checking the fluid level and adding once a year, but if the group 36 battery happened to be a maintenance free battery I probably would have taken it.

Last edited:
Would you recommend Everstart or is there truth in the alternative name 'NeverStart'?
I heard some mechanics and people refer to it as never start so just curious

thx
Everstart Maxx is my battery of choice. I have three vehicles, each having a Maxx battery. They range in age from 8-11 years old and still going strong (knock on wood).

The other potential issue is that Costco changed their terms to an entirely prorated warranty back in July.

Can't blame them for taking measures since some people were gaming their system, but they could have taken a different approach.

And the price deltas versus competitors on spendy batteries like AGMs isn't commensurate with the new delta in warranty coverage. How much is one saving by giving up a 3 or 4-year replacement warranty from a competitor, versus buying an AGM at Costco with 3-year prorated warranty?

For my H6 applications, the Costco AGM is $160. Everstart Platinum AGM is $180. 3-year prorate vs. 4-year replacement. Don't have to think too hard about that one.

Reactions: CKN
I got an Everstart H6 AGM recently strictly based on price. It's made by JCI / Clarios so I'm not really concerned about quality issues. The 4- year replacement warranty is nice but I don't put much stock in battery warranties anyway.

Back