'BEST' jump start technique out of the 4 methods I typed out below?

Two nieces got their licenses and their first cars. Neither car was new.
I gave each a set of heavy jumper cables and showed the girls how to use them.
"These are good quality cables. Don't let a crummy boyfriend steal them", I added.
The jumper cables are gone now.

I must say I do not know if crummy boyfriends stole them or if the fine cables were forgotten when those first cars were retired.

funny enough, i did a jump today and opted for method B in my original post (donor vehicle was off the whole time)

i think i will stick with this way since imo it takes out any (even miniscule risk) of ruining any electronics or alternator when the donor is running

Agree. Ive seen A done, I’d do C in an emergency.

But I’d propose E:

Go like method c u til it’s time to crank the dead car.
Turn off donor car.
Disconnect battery on donor car.
Allowmdonor battery to start dead csr.
Disconnect donor from dead car.
Re-attach battery.

There isn’t a ton of inductance in the cables, but there can be a lot of current flowing, so the di/dt can make a voltage spike that I don’t want my donor vehicle exposed to.

That would be F:
E: was jumpbox.

That might work on a classic car but on modern cars you can cause massive issues if you disconnect and are unlucky..
There are stories of jeep cherokees needing a Dealer tool level "proxy alignment" after battery disconnection for example.

funny enough, i did a jump today and opted for method B in my original post (donor vehicle was off the whole time)

i think i will stick with this way since imo it takes out any (even miniscule risk) of ruining any electronics or alternator when the donor is running
Until you kill both cars because the car being jumped doesn't have fuel pressure or something.

I use option A because my car has simple electronics and won't wig out if the alternator has to alternate

Back