Would you pay $250/mo for a parking spot?

Does she work in S.F. or in some other part of the Bay area? I could think of a whole list of places I'd rather live in the area than S.F.

I think you're asking the wrong demographic here. Convenient parking is a luxury in the city and if it's searching for 30 minutes per day to find a spot within a 1/4 mile then $250 a month is worth it. My aunt lived in the Bronx when I was young and we'd go visit her and search for parking. It was so congested and simple things like parking were not easy in the Bronx. Being raised in suburbia and parking in our driveway/garage was not something available in the Bronx. I hated it and would never want to live in a city like that. But millions of folks do. It's a different lifestyle, for sure. My cousins kept their crappy cars unlocked with the radios removed and a not on the window saying that the car was unlocked so that their windows didn't get broken by someone breaking in that was too lazy to check the doors. But they didn't use their cars often.

People that work in a city often pay big bucks for parking to be near their office.

Even if it's no safer, it's close to her building which makes carrying stuff much easier. Time saving too, not having to drive around looking for a space, and trying to remember where she left it. It would be a no-brainer. If my daughter was in the exact same situation, I would insist on it even if I had to pay for it.

My sister lives in San Francisco and parks on the street. Her apartment complex offers covered (but not gated) parking for $250/mo.

Over the last few months, her car has been damaged twice.

First time: something landed on the hood, something fell out of an apartment unit's window. $2k in damage to the front-end. The person compensated her for the damage.
Second time: window was broken and her radio was stolen. Repairs will be around $400 since I will DIY them.

Her car is older and not in the best cosmetic condition, so to me, paying $250/mo (or $3k/yr) to house a $4-5k car seems silly. As a family, we are split 50/50 on whether it is worth it. Thoughts?
It's the cost of living in high density cities. $1,750/mo (Apartment and parking) is a pittance for a city like SF. Besides what is her alternative?

I see it as a convenience fee. If street parking is abundant and the area is relatively safe, then no I would not pay. If the convenience of having your own spot and out of the relatively more dangerous street, then yes I would.

I would anyways since I hate street parking. I love garages.

Last edited:
I'd say go for it if it makes your sister feel safer and more secure. You can't boil everything down to $ and ¢.

When I moved to my apartment, I had to park on the street. I'd sometimes be concerned about the safety of my car and, to a lesser extent, my own safety. For the past few years, I've had a spot in the building's gated, locked parking lot, and my comfort level has increased. That is worth something ... only your sister can decide how much.

How much does she use her car? What is the street parking like in her area? If she can go car less then it maybe worth trying that, but if she needs it then I would keep the parking spot. If you want to live in the big city then you're going to pay for it.

Just go with no radio and don't keep anything in your car maybe?
This!
Sell the car, and use the proceeds plus the $250 + whatever her costs for insurance, tags, etcetera are to rent a car when she needs one if it's a feasible solution.

In ancient times humans used to flee inhospitable, dangerous places. Now they flock to them. Is this where evolution takes us?
ancients.jpg

Maybe there's a $400/mon spot that's better protected. Overall, it'd be cheaper.
Last time I looked, 20 years ago, a nice hotel wanted an additional $30/night for parking a car there. I didn't book the room. Obviously, SF hates cars.

" Our overpriced registration fees should cover parking and tolls "

Why stop there Chris? Overpriced registration fees should cover gas, insurance and our children's braces....and a swimming pool...and....and
And weren't you the guy who said employees ask for raises while smoking cigarettes while getting tattoos?

My wife grew up in NYC and her parents have the rare home in Brooklyn with a driveway. But she has relatives in NYC living in apartments with sucky parking. If they happen to get a close spot, they don't wanna lose it so they try to avoid driving unless they really need to.
Do they have to keep feeding a parking meter?

I was born in SF. in 1953. Both my grand parents lived in SF and I grew up in Millbrae and bought my first house in San Bruno in 1976 and spent lots of time in SF. for work and recreation. By 1988 San Francisco turned into a not so nice place and in 2000 moved out of the peninsula. The weather is pretty good all year.
I live in the South Bay, in Los Gatos. I flat out love it here.

My sister lives in San Francisco and parks on the street. Her apartment complex offers covered (but not gated) parking for $250/mo.

First time: something landed on the hood, something fell out of an apartment unit's window. $2k in damage to the front-end. The person compensated her for the damage.
Second time: window was broken and her radio was stolen. Repairs will be around $400 since I will DIY them.

Her car is older and not in the best cosmetic condition, so to me, paying $250/mo (or $3k/yr) to house a $4-5k car seems silly. As a family, we are split 50/50 on whether it is worth it. Thoughts?
Convenience vs trying to find something on the street, where it can be difficult and risk the wraith of the meter maids.

If San Francisco has street cleaning days... a ticket or tow is even more inconvenient.

I live in the South Bay, in Los Gatos. I flat out love it here.
I grew up since the '60s in Los Gatos. We left in 2000. We still have friends and family in the area. Los Gatos is the only place I like to visit. One of the best downtowns in the entire country and perfect weather - 365 days a year.

I find most of the Bay Area area completely uninhabitable now, including some communities just a few miles away from Los Gatos. San Francisco? I wouldn't stay there if I was offered a free $1000 a night hotel room.

I worked on the 30th floor of Embarcadero 4 in San Francisco during the '89 Loma Prieta earthquake. I was there when it happened, standing in the 30th floor elevator lobby. The short story version - all of us we thought we were going to die. Let me tell you, thinking you're moments from death in collapsing high-rise is quite an electrified head rush. Does your life flash before your eyes? Not in my case. My mind was racing with thoughts wondering what my demise was going to feel like. And Michelle, wherever you are, thank you for not screaming in my ear while we crouched in the corner together!

Our Los Gatos home, just 10 miles from the epicenter, was seriously damaged and took two years and $125K to repair. That was a boatload of money back then.

Scott

Last edited:

I don't see the age of the car having anything to do with it. Does she have a need of the car "in the morning" and can the parking assure her it's ready to go? Both incidents could've stopped her using a $50k car. Those might be even more prone to getting broken into?

If she can go without car, it's definitely not worth it.

Back in college in Milwaukee (Marquette University), I paid $75/month for indoor heated parking for my $800 ‘84 Chevy truck or my $250 ‘88 Plymouth Horizon winter beater. The unused vehicle stayed with my parents. This was 2002-04. While I thought it was high, it was better than getting trapped by the plow trucks or worse yet, getting sideswiped/mirrors busted.

Back