Would you buy a new model car or wait??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually wait till the last model year of any particular car. They (hopefully) have all the bugs worked out by then.

My last 4 cars have been bought like that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: littleant
Let's say a new model car/truck/SUV with a new designed engine/transmission. Would you wait 6 months to see if there are issues or recalls or TSB? Or would you wait for the following year. Or just buy it and see what happens

Takes a lot longer than 6 months. We often get service bulletins and updates for vehicles that have been on the road for 4 years or more.

I aim for the end of the second model year. Anything monstrous is known by then if you do your homework. Had great luck this way but also depends on track record of make, model, etc.

I actually prefer to purchase the last year of a model run. By then, the bugs have been worked out and the result is quite satisfactory. My 2009 F150 5.4L is just such an example. The spark plug, cam phaser, transmission, timing chain, and other issues affected only the earlier 5.4L's.

Originally Posted By: littleant
Let's say a new model car/truck/SUV with a new designed engine/transmission. Would you wait 6 months to see if there are issues or recalls or TSB? Or would you wait for the following year. Or just buy it and see what happens

Nah. I'd happily buy a first production model, but not from anybody. I'd rather buy a first production Buick than an all-new-hardware Toyota

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I actually prefer to purchase the last year of a model run. By then, the bugs have been worked out and the result is quite satisfactory. My 2009 F150 5.4L is just such an example. The spark plug, cam phaser, transmission, timing chain, and other issues affected only the earlier 5.4L's.

The only problem with the last year is that you're now driving the old model around. Maybe a year or two before the last.

I thought MB was going down the drain with the 2017 E300, just a 4 cylinder and no 6 available. But then they came out with the E400 which has a v6 in 2018, and now in 2019, they're going to come out with the E350 again and that will have about 52 more hp than the previous model. So it would have been better to wait 2 years after a new model in that case.

See I’d be the other way around. Love GM for their trucks and V8 powered vehicles. BUT I’d take a Toyota commuter over GM any day.

Guess that’s the bigger thing to keep in mind. If the body style is updated and powertrain is carried over, I wouldn’t be concerned. New engine/tranny (especially turbo) I’d wait.

i have no problem buying first year, as long as it is toyota. Waiting patiently for a new tundra design and engine, I believe it will be 2020. I'm buying the second it comes out. Perfect timing for me, my son will be 17, he gets my first model year 2007 tundra with projected 200k miles, and I get a new 2020. Sweet.

If they don't have a new Tundra by the time he's 17 in 2 years, he's getting a used toyota car until I give up my truck when a new model is released.

Wait a year. I bought an Acura TLX in 2014, one of the first 3,500, not thinking anything of it because I've bought other 1st year Honda/Acura products before without issue. Well the transmission (ZF 9AT) was utter garbage and I had an issue with VCM vibrations. If I can't even buy a first year Honda/Acura anymore, I can't buy a first year anything.

There's not many make/models that are unchanged for 3yrs anymore. Very few I'd think.

There is not as much value in waiting as there once was IMO.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Asking this question on a forum where old cars come to die......

I thought we have some posters (you and me included) that buy new/new-ish and keep for 8-10+years?

Originally Posted By: pandus13

I thought we have some posters (you and me included) that buy new/new-ish and keep for 8-10+years?

Those who buy "newish" cars on here are a very small majority.

Unless you run some sort of a poll, which this forum doesn't support, you're just seeing things through your own bias. Sort of like noticing more one brand of cars on the roads vs others.

There are plenty of "what oil should I use in my new vehicle" threads and plenty of new car reviews here.

Looking at things through my own biased glasses, I would say we have a healthy mix of all types of owners here. Which is why I like this site so much, as there is no single mindset type people here vs forums dedicated to particular models, topics, hobbies etc.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Unless you run some sort of a poll, which this forum doesn't support, you're just seeing things through your own bias. Sort of like noticing more one brand of cars on the roads vs others.

There are plenty of "what oil should I use in my new vehicle" threads and plenty of new car reviews here.

Looking at things through my own biased glasses, I would say we have a healthy mix of all types of owners here. Which is why I like this site so much, as there is no single mindset type people here vs forums dedicated to particular models, topics, hobbies etc.

Your might be correct it could be my own bias. But from looking at the posts it's just seems that way to me. I could be wrong.........

Last edited:

New cars only. I don't want somebody else's toe jam in my car. Be like marrying a hooker.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

New cars only. I don't want somebody else's toe jam in my car. Be like marrying a hooker.

Yep. New cars only for me as well. The used car market is full of flood specials and off lease cars from people who didn’t care.

I buy new and run them till circumstances change or the wheels fall off.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Yep. New cars only for me as well. The used car market is full of flood specials and off lease cars from people who didn’t care.

I buy new and run them till circumstances change or the wheels fall off.

small niche: demo/loaner cars?
just bought a '16 with 5,757 miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back