Would I buy a GM car? No. But GM stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I would not buy automotive stock today. They're all spending gobs of $$$ in their transition to golf cart-ifcation and there are some worries about having reached peak demand. Expecting consolidations where the winners and loser will ultimately be determined via politicians rather than the marketplace.

I agree, the car industry is changing fast and I'm a firm believer that car ownership is nearing the end of it's course. We'll be riding around in autonomous Uber/Lyfts in the next 10 years.

Originally Posted by dishdude
We'll be riding around in autonomous Uber/Lyfts in the next 10 years.

Maybe in the big cities but out here in the boondocks, not a chance.

No GM stock or newer GM vehicles here but my older GM's arguably have the best engines ever built, 5.7 and 3.8 both pretty much bullet proof so ya I'd buy a GM.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I would not buy automotive stock today. They're all spending gobs of $$$ in their transition to golf cart-ifcation and there are some worries about having reached peak demand. Expecting consolidations where the winners and loser will ultimately be determined via politicians rather than the marketplace.

I agree, the car industry is changing fast and I'm a firm believer that car ownership is nearing the end of it's course. We'll be riding around in autonomous Uber/Lyfts in the next 10 years.

Maybe in 25 years, not 10 years.... no way.

Originally Posted by super20dan
yes the 5.7 and 3800 were fantastic but they are long gone. every engine gm makes has some major flaw now.

What? What is wrong with the current 6.0? 6.2? 2.0LTG? No knows about the new 6.6 and as far as I can tell the AFM was fixed in 2014 with updates. I can't think of failure even
on the Caprice board with the 2014s that have 150,000 miles and 5000 to 8000 idle hours.
The 3.6 timing chain issue has been fixed awhile and covered on here in depth.

GM makes a lot of excellent powertrains and vehicles, but this is BITOG so every thread needs to devolve into a GM bash...although this started off as one.
Trolling.gif

GM makes a lot of excellent powertrains and vehicles, but this is BITOG so every thread needs to devolve into a GM bash...although this started off as one.
Trolling.gif

I have three GM vehicles. The newest is seven years old. I have no problem buying another one.

Trolling.gif

Pretty much a GM Tee Ball thread … maybe one day we can have one with actual owners

The stock ? No.

GM had a profitable year right after the BK and the people at the top got nice fat bonuses.

Uhmmm, I'm sorry. If you've just been bailed out, still owe money and are trying to distance yourself from the stigma of BK how about foregoing the bonuses for a few years
first ?

That's pretty cold blooded when one thinks how the stock and bond owners of Old GM took a reaming on their investments.Really poor optics like the fire eater GM hired to introduce it's new products at the auto show. Right after the saddle bag gas tank fire scandal.

I've driven GM for 27 years now. Time for a change. They're not going to offer anything in my range in the future anyway, except maybe the Trax. Never owned a foreign branded vehicle ever. [Yes I know the Trax is built in Korea]. They've all been built and designed in the US.

Little bro and his wife bought a new Renegade that they love. My other SIL bought a Kia Forte manual. Well built,pretty quiet, rode smoothly, could be one of those.

My next car may be that type of utility type vehicle, but this time the brand or company will be secondary.

I do own three shares of Ford, though.

Last edited:
I knew this thread was going to go sideways..I am surprised that this thread has not been locked yet.

With that said my family loves their 2015 plus 5.3 Tahoe's and Suburban's. Even the 6.2 Escalade gets love.

as you can see -there is one gm in my sig. and its been very good . time will tell if the AFM is truly fixed as same goes for the 3.6 . gm ,s track record with engines in this decade is dismal . can you name one that didn't have a major flaw? the 4.3 v6 is an exception

Last edited:
AFM issues are blown way out of proportion, I bet the failure rate is below 1%. I'll give you the earlier 3.6L....Major timing chain issues!
The Iron Gen IV 4.8L & 6.0L never had AFM, Aluminum Gen IV L92 & LS3 6.2L didn't either & they have stellar reputations!

I do have a customer with a 2007 Cadillac SRX-4 with a 3.6L.....Changes the oil religiously & no chain issues at 200,000. Varnish is a pretty much a constant variable in every 3.6L I've ever done chains on. Is GM to blame for the long OCI on these DI engines which includes the 2.4L DI Ecotech......YES! They even reprogrammed controllers to lower the OCI because Soot/Fuel Loading.

I'm a Chrysler guy by heart, but I always admired GM's customer focus in the 1980s and 1990s when they actually listened.

GM right now I think is reverting to "We are going to tell the customer what they want!", which is why the new Blazer is just another "me too" revival that's not special compared the the Jeep Gladiator and the Ford Ranger.

Funny enough, When GM announced they are going to close Hamtrack Assemby, FCA actually offered to buy it (back), GM basically said "No, that would make us look bad!" So FCA is building a new plant next to Jefferson Assembly...

Why would you buy a car company stock at peak of a car boom. Plus it has done nothing over the last 3 years for good reason. Find a good oil company or a pipe line with a nice big dividend that has been beat up over the last 3 years. There are some good MLPs that are paying 7 to 10% and we we get a bid under energy sector you can see a nice 100 to 500% gain on top of the dividend

Originally Posted by 4WD
No plans to tamper with AFM on my pair

Same here. We just did a weekend trip to San Antonio. Running 75-80mph on I-35, I averaged 23mpg. Not to bad for a full sized 4x4 (better than our 4x2 4Runner).

I don't think AFM has to go in/out as often with 6 speed (and higher) automatics these days …
… refined and seamless power delivery compared to 10 years back …

I'm getting rid of afm on the Caprice this month...but that is because it is Brian Tooley Racing cam time. Yay!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back