MG HS

MG HS and EHS is the biggest MG on offer where I live, it's roughly the size of a Hyundai tucson.

It's also the cheapest on offer in it's calss.

I've seen one article about it, what stood out to me is they commented how well it soaked up speed bumps (the ICE only version: HS) and rough roads. As I get older, I find this more and more important for a family vehicle....

Apparently the engine is a GM 1.5 turbo, and the transmissions available are a 6 speed manual or 7 speed DCT. I don't know who supplies the transmissions, but unless there are major concerns with the DCT I'd want that.

The plug-in version comes with a 10-speed automatic, but costs mlore and I can't plug-in anyways.

5 star euro ncap rating, so not terrible for safety either.

Is the GM engine any good, and does GM offer that 7 speed DCT (sportronic) aswell or anyone have any clue who supplies it?

Around 30,000 euro with all bells and whistles, 7 year warranty. A Tucson would cost 40k.

Is that 1.5L GM ecotec T-GDI any good?

And the 7-speed dct, is that used in GM cars? It specifies dexron dct fluid, good chance it's used in GM products. dry or wet clutches?

Wife gave me the go ahead to sign on the dotted line....

IMO this is rarely a good sign. Has MG ever made "good" cars? What about SAIC?

I wouldn't buy a Chinese car. I wouldn't buy a Korean car either though. 🤷

It's 7th biggest in the world now., top seller this year in the UK too.

I figure cars are a depreciating asset, so the less I put in the less I loose. In 2029 I can't buy a new ICE car anymore either so want one before that time

They're everywhere here so can't be that bad. With a 7 year 100k warranty too!

My Mother has a 2021 MG3 with the N/A 1.5 GM engine and it's been absolutely brilliant and gets nothing but abuse!

Is that 1.5L GM ecotec T-GDI any good?

And the 7-speed dct, is that used in GM cars? It specifies dexron dct fluid, good chance it's used in GM products. dry or wet clutches?

Wife gave me the go ahead to sign on the dotted line....

I think the 1.5T has issues in the USDM Chevy Malibus (or was it the 1.4 in the Cruz? Somebody will have to fact check me.)

Went to the dealership and had a look at one in person. The thing looks nice but there's some obvious cost cutting: the doors sounded slightly tinny when shutting, the dash is made from thin plastic and the hvac vents feel a bit cheap. The doors can be fixed easily enough, the dash shouldn't be touched anyway, and the vents, I point them once then pretty much never touch them again except to clean dust out.

The boot seems to be the same depth as my giulietta, but there is loads of space inside the cabin.

I found out the DCT is made by SAGW, so basically in house for SAIC.

I also found this thanks to Pew : https://www.motorverso.com/gm-1-5-turbo-engine-problems/

Seems most of the issues involve freezing of the intake in cold weather, I don't typically see very cold weather like that.

oh and here's a dissection of a 1.5 pfi non turbo: oiling issues due to neglect, not going to be an issue with me, otherwise nothing unusual in design or condition to see.

Last edited:
Oh, this is the oil I will be useing in it:

RAVENOL Motobike 4-T Ester SAE 10W-30​

with these specs:

Density at 20 °Ckg/m³851,0EN ISO 12185
ColourgelbbraunVISUELL
Viscosity at 100 °Cmm²/s12,0DIN 51562-1
Viscosity at 40 °Cmm²/s78,9DIN 51562-1
Viscosity Index VI148DIN ISO 2909
CCS Viscosity at -25 °CmPa*s5660ASTM D5293
Pourpoint°C-36DIN ISO 3016
Noack Volatility%wt.3,3ASTM D5800
Flashpoint°C260DIN EN ISO 2592
tbnmg KOH/g7,9ASTM D2896

and in the description:

• A low evaporation tendency, therefore a lower oil consumption
  • Safety against sludge accumulation, cokings and corrosion even under unfavourable operating conditions
  • Guarantee of the function of the hydro tappets at all temperatures
  • No oil limited deposits in combustion chambers, at the piston ring and valves
  • Unchanged viscosity during the whole oil change interval, a high viscosity index
  • Neutral against sealing materials
and a UOA:

index.php

My Wife ordered one last week £3,000 off list with a bit of negotiation and 0% PCP finance for 24 months at £129/month.

Edit: I lied… it’s an MG ZS my Wife ordered not a HS :ROFLMAO:
so under 20k then?

129 a month for 24 months, that means trade in after 2 years or pay the remaining amount?

so under 20k then?

129 a month for 24 months, that means trade in after 2 years or pay the remaining amount?

I think the list is £21k, then we got a £1,000 "Test Drive Initiative" discount, another £1000 "dealer deposit contribution" and managed to negotiate another £1000 off plus 2 free services.

They also offered to bump up the part exchange price to make it the required 30% deposit required for the 0% finance.

Seemed all to easy to me!

Deal is £129 for 24 months and then it can be purchased for £11,500. Hoping by then I've paid my Duster off and my Wife can had back the MG and have my Duster so I can get myself something German with a 6 cylinder diesel.

So the MG is costing £9400 for two years usage? Seems a lot to pay

Depends how you look at it. My Wife's B-Max is paid off in it's entirety. From my point of view for the next 2 years we're paying £129/month for a brand new car under warranty vs a 10 year old B-Max that's overdue a timing belt. :ROFLMAO:

I think the list is £21k, then we got a £1,000 "Test Drive Initiative" discount, another £1000 "dealer deposit contribution" and managed to negotiate another £1000 off plus 2 free services.

They also offered to bump up the part exchange price to make it the required 30% deposit required for the 0% finance.

Seemed all to easy to me!

Deal is £129 for 24 months and then it can be purchased for £11,500. Hoping by then I've paid my Duster off and my Wife can had back the MG and have my Duster so I can get myself something German with a 6 cylinder diesel.

So in effect you're renting for 2 years?

Still, I'm curious about your experiences with and impressions of the MG. I'm guessing 1.0 turbo engine?

Still, I'm curious about your experiences with and impressions of the MG. I'm guessing 1.0 turbo engine?
These HP schemes (in the UK) kinda reminds me of the old GM SmartBuy/SmartLease they used to do
Fixed payments with a balloon at the end, either return or refinance

Essentially, yes. Maybe she'll want to keep it after two years? Who knows.

I convinced her to go for the 1.5 as it's chain driven and port injected for obvious reasons. In case she does decide she wants to purchase it outright in 2 years time.

I quite like them. It's a shame they don't offer four wheel drive in their SUV's. If they did I'd have probably bought a HS instead of the Duster back in 2022 as the interiors are far nicer.

When my Mothers Suzuki Jimny needed replacing back in '21 my Mother asked me to go car shopping for her. She basically gave me a budget and told me to just go order something for her and I ended up ordering an MG3. This was due to the 0% 5 year finance deal on at the time, 7 year warranty and again, the simple 1.5 chain driven port injected engine. She loves it and it's been totally faultless for the nearly 3 years she's had it.

These HP schemes (in the UK) kinda reminds me of the old GM SmartBuy/SmartLease they used to do
Fixed payments with a balloon at the end, either return or refinance

They're called PCP (Personal Contract Purchase) over here. You pay what is essentially the depreciation only plus interest with the option to hand back or purchase outright at the end of the plan.

Back