Worst dipstick ever?

Could you take a picture, pls?
Yes, I see but you risk to spill the oil especially when the dipstick is longer….
Talking about dipsticks you can see clearly how Toyota’s with the 2 bumps (last one picture ) is showing little oil but you can see the oil cause is darkish. Like others say it’s not easy with thin oils and the the 2 bumper, not marks or something to help you like relief from that relief.
P.s. thanks to show me that thread was discussed already. Next time before open a new thread I”ll try with the search engine first. Sorry for not do that and “finding hot water “ some kind.

The dipstick on my Ford Festiva for the manual transmission was the tail end of the speedometer drive gear. It had a little notch in it.

I dislike those that don't have sufficient means to provide contrast or delineation when the oil hasn't darkened yet.

Worse is a floppy one that doesn't enough rigidity, like a wet noodle in the tube, or acts like a pendulum outside the tube.

Worst are the tube designs that trap oil, and deposit it outside the reading zone, and hinder the distinction between what is submerged, and isn't.

I've had much better experiences with those that aren't flat, and have round rods.

And that's before considering the pre-conditions some engines have regarding when to take a reading.

I find the coloration thing isn't big problem, just roll it on a paper towel and don't skew it up and down and you'll know what level it's at.

The current "orange lollipop" used on Hondas is almost useless, trying to read a shiny liquid on a shiny smooth surface, whoever designed it should go back to the ladies undergarment industry from whence he obviously came.
I think I have the same setup on my 2016 Honda.
Considering I check the oil on level ground, frist thing in the morning, I don't have any issues.

My dad ran his 2002 Bravada 2 quarts low once because he thought it was up on the dipstick but the awful yellow plastic piece they put on the end was just covered in a lot of varnish so it looked like oil.

I think I have the same setup on my 2016 Honda.
Considering I check the oil on level ground, frist thing in the morning, I don't have any issues.
I also had a 2016 Civic EX-L Coupe, my first 1.5t, found the same dipstick there as in my 2023. Impossible to read with new oil, still difficult when the oil was dark. Honda, you can do better!

At least you have a dipstick. E92 M3 and Range Rover only have electronic oil level indicators. The BMW's isn't so bad, just have to wait until the oil is hot but it's available while the car is driving down the road. But the Range Rover's is annoying, oil has to be hot, car has to be off for some number of minutes... which makes sense, but makes it hard to quickly check.

The one on the 4Runner is a pain because of how thin it is. The manual says it holds 6.6 quarts.. I add 6.25-6.5 and it seems overfilled or very hard to tell what the level is. The lower side should be the actual level, but I still find it frustrating.

The one on the Audi is a cable with black plastic on the end. It’s just hard to see.

Back