Do You Ever Keep Up With Your Old Car?

Bummer you let that go. Those are worth some serious money now.

No regrets. I owned it for 12-13 years and drove it every day, putting over 88,000 miles on it. Numerous cross country trips too.

My clutch leg finally gave out due to too many motorcycle accidents in the 1970’s. No point in owning it if I couldn’t enjoy it fully.

I got in the 6 figures for it and it only cost me 40 grand. I did OK.

My current ride is plenty fast for an old guy

Attachments

• IMG_3670.jpeg
    IMG_3670.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2579.jpeg
    IMG_2579.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 8
No regrets. I owned it for 12-13 years and drove it every day, putting over 88,000 miles on it. Numerous cross country trips too.

My clutch leg finally gave out due to too many motorcycle accidents in the 1970’s. No point in owning it if I couldn’t enjoy it fully.

I got in the 6 figures for it and it only cost me 40 grand. I did OK.

My current ride is plenty fast for an old guy
Was it signed by Carroll Shelby? Supposedly he signed the glovebox on a few and those have seen stratospheric increases in price.

Was it signed by Carroll Shelby? Supposedly he signed the glovebox on a few and those have seen stratospheric increases in price.

I’ve owned a few of the classic era Shelby’s, and got to ride in a Cobra the day it arrived at the dealership (hours before the owner wrecked it and killed his passenger girlfriend in the process).

Here is what I’ve learned about the Shelby signatures: Carroll Shelby never signed any of the cars when they were being made.

Subsequent to one of his heart surgeries, where he met and was befriended by many children who were hospitalized for their own heart related ailments, Shelby started a nonprofit which helped, and is still helping, many families who were struggling with the financial impact of having a child who needed heart surgery.

To paraphrase his own words, Shelby said he was touched and deeply moved by both the bravery of those kids, and the struggles of their parents.

Admittedly, he was a man of many contradictions, no angel and no demon either. It’s a credit to him that he used his notoriety to do something positive for so many in need.

Carroll Shelby attended many of the Shelby Mustang / Shelby Cobra annual events. At those events he would be the keynote speaker and also would sign the glove boxes or fenders or whatever was presented to him for a signature, in exchange for a donation to his charity. He never made a dime from those signatures.

I have owned a GT-350 (not the one pictured above) that had the glovebox signed by him prior to my ownership. As far as I could tell, the signature didn’t affect the car’s value.

Z

PS: the attached photo was taken in late 1965 for my 1966 high school yearbook. You can see the ‘66 promotion posters in the dealership window
E0661BDB-5B86-49EA-8D29-27D1B6075D9E.jpeg

Last edited:
The only new car I ever bought was way back in 1994. A red Toyota Camry Coupe LE.

I had it for 12 years and 235,000 miles.

When I sold it, the next owner took great care of it as well. All was well in the world until...

The owner who had it after him rolled back the odometer... a solid 200,000 miles.

From 283,000 miles to 83,000 miles.

29 years from the day I bought it new, and probably close to 400,000 genuine miles later that Toyota Camry is still on the road. I'm hoping it hits the big 3-0 and 400k mark. I may even make a trip out to South Georgia by September of next year.

Have you ever kept track of your daily driver after selling it?

I've never sold a car, I run them till the end

Every now and then I Google a VIN

My 2012 Routan was totaled in CO and was for sale at a copart there. I sure hope the driver was ok. It was in bad shape, but for sale on a Russian website

My 2016 Rouge was totaled while my son had it (rammed in a parking lot by a meth head). I watched it in the copart auction. Not sure where it is. It’s may be fixed by now and for sale.

I just sold my Jeep and hope to see it annually at the local off-road show.

I keep looking for my 86 D100 that I wish I never sold. Can’t find it anywhere.

I watch the F100 forums for my 55 F100, but have yet to see it in 20 years.

I know where my high school and college cars went, and they died hard. The only car I will keep tabs on forever is my dad’s Barracuda, bought new in 74. I want that car someday, but could not afford it when he decided to move on. It was bought by a guy who put it in a warehouse in the Chicago area, close to the dealer that originally sold it to dad, for “someday”. It does need a 2nd restoration.

This is a fun post!

The only new car I ever bought was way back in 1994. A red Toyota Camry Coupe LE.

I had it for 12 years and 235,000 miles.

When I sold it, the next owner took great care of it as well. All was well in the world until...

The owner who had it after him rolled back the odometer... a solid 200,000 miles.

From 283,000 miles to 83,000 miles.

29 years from the day I bought it new, and probably close to 400,000 genuine miles later that Toyota Camry is still on the road. I'm hoping it hits the big 3-0 and 400k mark. I may even make a trip out to South Georgia by September of next year.

Have you ever kept track of your daily driver after selling it?
I bought this 83 Caprice around 13 or 14 years ago for $1500. Needed nothing dir safety. I drove it over 10 years mostly just as my winter beater. Put around 70k miles on it. Sold it for $1500 worth of body work on my truck. That guy sold it for $1500 after a year. A year later it was spotted for $2200 on Facebook marketplace. It was gone when my friend told me and I went to check the ad.

Attachments

• received_6839139819511497.jpeg
    received_6839139819511497.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 10
I've owned/sold a 1965 Mustang, 1967 Mustang, 1986 Mazda B2000 pickup, 1992 Thunderbird and a 1995 Corvette.
The only car I regret selling is the green 1972 AMC Gremlin X I bought from the grandparents. Sold it to a young girl who needed cheap reliable transportation. I never kept up with her but wish I had... for the car, not the girl.

Attachments

• Gremlin 02.jpg
    Gremlin 02.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Gremlin 01.jpg
    Gremlin 01.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 3
Yeah, I have with the special ones. My 2006 Jaguar didn't make it far after me. I don't exactly know what happened but I didn't see any body damage on it. The two rear wheels were missing and it was marked salvage. Interior still looked perfect.

I do a bit with our old 1993 GMC K1500. So we got it several years ago from a friend, as partial trade on a horse. Our friend had it for years, towed her horse trailer around and so on. She got it from some kid that beat the snot out of it. He got it from the second owner, who was still local to where we lived. So that guy had it for years, loved the truck but had to let it go. He got it from the original owner, who was a farmer and custom ordered it from the factory.

So, deciphering what I had just wrote, the second owner knew we had it and made some passing remarks that he missed the truck as he had a lot of good memories.

Fast forward to this summer, the second owners wife, cold approached my wife before father's day, asking if we would sell. Love the truck as a run about, have no worries, farm truck but we barely use it now. So, my wife says come by, have a rip and see. Bought it on the spot.

A couple months later, i was in our old town doing some odds and ends and heard this distinct straight piped sound. I look up and there they were. This guy and his kid came by to day hi and how excited they were to have this old, beat up truck again. This guys young son was already driving the thing out on their farm and they could be happier.

While scrolling through expansion disc today, found a VIN from my 2009 Scion xB. I sold it after a couple of deer totaled it. Looks like it was fixed, driven for another 80k miles, and totaled again from a T-bone accident. And someone bought it for $3800 from IAAI in that condition to fix up again. Wonder how it's doing now. Loved that car. Would've never sold it if it was a manual.

Back