new oil - cannot see level on dipstick !

Changed the oil on my 2011 Toyota Sienna yesterday using Pennzoil Full Synthetic 0w-20.
The new oil is so clean I cannot see the level on the dipstick.
When I worked on a towboat, I would chalk the surface of the measuring tape to check fuel levels.
Anyone else solve this dilemma?

RV

Last edited:
Yeah that's usually the case with most fresh oil changes. Some oils are naturally more dark or lighter than others depending on the dye used and chemistry.

Take it out into the light?
look for where it stops being wet.. on both sides.
as long as you hold the dipstick correctly the oil level wont creep up.

Its a pain but usually after a few miles the residual oil in engine mixes in making it more visible.

Or you could use royal purple oil.. its purple. 😆

Sharpie? or will that wash out.

Not sure there is anything to solve here tbh, taste it to be sure but that might contaminate the fill with water and other biology. :p

My car takes 4 qts; i put 4 qts on the top of the engine; drain oil out, put 4 quarts in; start car, no leaks; what is there to check?

If your toyota has a yellow D.S, then yes, difficult to see. My prius has the old metal style.

Some cars have a matte, almost-gritty surface on their dipsticks. Much easier to see oil on them vs. on the usual shiny disptick.

In my small engines I use Royal Purple only because I can see the oil level after the change. My new Honda mower has a better dipstick, so I don’t need RP for it.

Changed the oil on my 2011 Toyota Sienna yesterday using Pennzoil Full Synthetic 0w-20.
The new oil is so clean I cannot see the level on the dipstick.
When I worked on a towboat, I would chalk the surface of the measuring tape to check fuel levels.
Anyone else solve this dilemma?

RV
Check it first thing in the morning. The oil will darken in short time anyway.

Back