Worst dipstick ever?

what’s your bad experience reading oil on the dispstick when the oil is new one?
That’s definitely Toyota Corolla- when the new oil is transparent by default is really difficult to read the full mark….talking about 2004 year model.

I hate any car where the dipstick goes down through the valve cover through an oil return passage, they're pretty much useless unless the engine has set all night.
A little bit off topic Toyota recommends measuring oil after 5 min after reaching operative temperature.:)

When transparent, place a small piece of paper towel on the end of the stick, the the line where the oil stops will be clear.

I had a Subaru Forester (I know...it seemed like a good idea at the time) that was impossible to check with any accuracy. Check it six times and I would get 6 different readings. I eventually just put the correct amount of oil in it and closed the hood.

Everyone's sweating this (almost) for nothing. You leave it overnight and make an allowance for a rise due to temp. You gain experience what that rise is with semi-dirty oil. On a roadtrip with brand new oil, well, you start at full and any drop should be minimal due to boiled-off moisture 'cuz it's clean/new oil...

Am I right?

BTW... '17 Mazda6. I suffer this in spades...

A few previous threads on this topic:

Worst dipstick I've ever seen or used is on my 2015 Canyon. They couldn't just make it a simple blade. They had to make it a cable with a pot-metal fishing weight at the end. Almost impossible to read when the oil is new. If you accidentally overfill, you can't tell by how much because the top line on the fishing weight is about 3 mm from where it attaches to the cable. WAY over-thought, to the consumers' detriment.

sounds more like the fault of the clear oil than the dipstick. maybe the oil makers should add some dye to the oil.

Back