Wish we got the HiLux in the U.S.

This is why.

Was their a word count limit this author needed to meet or just throw everything at seo for clicks?

The chassis, tooling and other costs for the taco and hilux and other bof mobile has been raised and then some. The chicken tax can be paid multiple times and they would still rake it in by the metric ton.

The future of the low end market is unibody tgna-k. BOF Tgna-f cannot shrink any further size and cost wise. That being said i dont think toyota plans to move into replacing the imv platform, as the new imv-0 champ ($10k barebones truck that just a rolling chassis), Refresh the heck out of it every so often, and bring that sweet $$$$$.

The hilux is scheduled for another round of refreshes on the existing body in my 2025.

These this week were all autos. The guys I work with like them better than the manual for offroad use they say.

Its not banned - its the chicken tax which applies to all imported trucks. So they could build that truck here - or Mexico - and it would be the same as the Tacoma.

If they build the Tacoma in Japan it would also have the 25% tax.

Toyota chose not to sell the Hilux in the US market years ago for whatever reason - so they invented the Tacoma. At one point in time the Hilux and Tacoma (called just Toyota truck or something) were the same platform until 1998.
Yes....what the article explains...

Non-U.S. drivers say hold my beer. Have you ever been to a country that has these and see the abuse they undergo?
yup, see those same drivers dont care/have the luxury about payload capacity or whether a road exists. These are workhorses day in and day out, even if they get accident damage.

My '92 Toyota 4x4 "truck"...same as a HiLux but most HiLux had the 4 door body and diesel engine vs. the venerable 22RE 4 banger in mine.

received_1083520029304603.jpeg

yup, see those same drivers dont care/have the luxury about payload capacity or whether a road exists. These are workhorses day in and day out, even if they get accident damage.
The exploration project I'm working on Brazil they have a bunch as their field vehicles and the conditions they operate in would make most U.S. drivers cringe.

The exploration project I'm working on Brazil they have a bunch as their field vehicles and the conditions they operate in would make most U.S. drivers cringe.
Most bof owners are busy exploring the jungles of the local walmart parking lot speedbumps or parking wheel stops.

Mexico has standards for new cars - they can either meet US standards or Euro standards. I doubt there is any testing after sale, but there isn't anymore in most states either.

New vehicles must meet either the standards based on US EPA standards or those based on Euro standards, as outlined in the tables below. Tailpipe emissions limits for model year 2004 and later vehicles are based on US Tier 1 and Tier 2 limits and Euro 3 and Euro 4 standards.

Euro 3 is OLD! That allows diesel without SCR and DPF. That is the key. That is why many of these trucks find their way in South America etc. In the EU, Hilux is also available, but you get all these emission-after-treatment devices, which makes gasoline engines now more desirable.

Euro 3 is OLD! That allows diesel without SCR and DPF. That is the key. That is why many of these trucks find their way in South America etc. In the EU, Hilux is also available, but you get all these emission-after-treatment devices, which makes gasoline engines now more desirable.
Toyota also cant seem to get those right, hence the class action in aussie

Non-U.S. drivers say hold my beer. Have you ever been to a country that has these and see the abuse they undergo?
We'll never really know how they'd fare here in the U.S. I've only been to Mexico twice & have no desire to return.

We'll never really know how they'd fare here in the U.S. I've only been to Mexico twice & have no desire to return.
The US in general is getting more rudimentary engines. The rest of the world has wider and better choices than we do. Many companies do not bring to the US some really cool and good engines, including Toyota.

Hilux GVWR are all >3000 KG making them class 4 in Mexico. So they were Euro standards up to 2014.

There also still sold in New Zealand and Australia.

How all that compares to USA, I have no clue - but they have some reasonable level of emission controls.

Hilux GVWR are all >3000 KG making them class 4 in Mexico. So they were Euro standards up to 2014.

There also still sold in New Zealand and Australia.

How all that compares to USA, I have no clue - but they have some reasonable level of emission controls.
They do have EGR, maybe DPF (big maybe). But just because same engine is sold in various markets, doesn’t mean after treatment stuff is same. I highly doubt any country outside Europe, NA, Aus,NZ, Japan, South Korea and maybe several other, have SCR. And SCR is what makes diesels financially prohibitive.

Is it also available with a gas engine? I've always wondered why we still get the tacoma when expanding hilux production would seem to be more profitable.
I think they still use the 2.7 I4. They used to have the 4.0 V6 that the Tacoma used for a long time.

Back