Winter, All Season or AWD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Oh man, at first I thought the post said the tires were on since this past October. Since I first saw the post under Active Topics.

I wish. Nah, they're getting old just like me. See how they do this winter I guess. Tread is not down to the wear marker nubs in the tread valleys yet, not sure how far but there is some distance to go yet.

4WD or AWD, all terrains, works great for me. Drive right past all the FWD stuff that can't make it up the hill to the local ski place.
smile.gif

Getting a new set of ATs on the Liberty that are Snowflake rated. Can't wait to try them out.

Last edited:
The two vehicles we drive in snow/ice are the Clubman and the Tj. The Clubman is running Vredestein Quatrac 5 all-seasons while the TJ is fitted with BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO rubber. Both tires wear the "Three Peak Snowflake" symbol, so we are good to go.
I put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires on the Club Sport so I can drive it in subfreezing temperatures, but it never sees snow or ice.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Love Motormouth Canada. Have you watch Zack's wrist watch reviews(watchtime.com)?

No I hadn't... I will check that out.
thumbsup2.gif

Only if you like watches of course. Otherwise, they're just another video. I love watches and have over 70.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Only if you like watches of course. Otherwise, they're just another video. I love watches and have over 70.

I'm certainly not a collector, but I do appreciate fine watches. I have a couple of Tag Heuers- both were given to me by my wonderful wife!

One of the big issues with new Subarus is the all-seasons that come with the vehicle from the factory make for horrible winter tires. I believe with quality all-seasons, they would do much better, but not as good as they would fitted with true winter tires.

The only exception I had with this was in regards to my 2014 XV Crosstrek w/ 5spd manual. The factory Yokohama Geolanders did OK in the snow with this vehicle, but I attribute that to the fact the 5spds of that vintage are in a constant 50/50 axle power split due to the mechanical center differential on manual trans models.

My 2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT was really bad in winter driving with the factory Bridgestone Turanza EL400s

My 2016 Forester 2.5 CVT came with Yoko Geolanders that were horrific as well. Even in wet driving they were like you didn't have the help of AWD.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Winter tires, manual transmission, FWD. As long as the snow stays under a foot-then it's time for 4WD and all terrains (rare around here).

All-terrains are the all-seasons of the truck world. Tread design is fine but it doesn't make up for the fact that the rubber compound is still completely wrong for cold/wet/snowy/icy streets.

Tell that to nokian. their AT tire is an all-weather tire.

My GY Dura-Tracs have the Mountain Snowflake symbol on them. Colorado Z71 4X4. We don't get much snow in Seattle, but when we do, it melts quickly and then refreezes even quicker to make ice...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires on the Club Sport so I can drive it in subfreezing temperatures, but it never sees snow or ice.

I've recently switched to those tires as summer tires on both of my all-year cars as well. The difference in grip to a max performance summer is surprisingly minimal and I got an extra month of use out of my summer tires this fall (just put the snows on Monday). The one drawback is the slightly less direct steering. I wish Michelin made a tire with the tread pattern of a Pilot Super Sport, but the tread compound of the AS3+. Alas, no such tire exists.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Goodyear has some nice watches. Very good quality and the price right.

Are they the same quality as their tires?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Are they the same quality as their tires?
lol.gif

Even better!
laugh.gif
I was just trying to get the thread back on track. It goes from talking tires to watches!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: JTK
One of the big issues with new Subarus is the all-seasons that come with the vehicle from the factory make for horrible winter tires. I believe with quality all-seasons, they would do much better, but not as good as they would fitted with true winter tires.

The only exception I had with this was in regards to my 2014 XV Crosstrek w/ 5spd manual. The factory Yokohama Geolanders did OK in the snow with this vehicle, but I attribute that to the fact the 5spds of that vintage are in a constant 50/50 axle power split due to the mechanical center differential on manual trans models.

My 2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT was really bad in winter driving with the factory Bridgestone Turanza EL400s

My 2016 Forester 2.5 CVT came with Yoko Geolanders that were horrific as well. Even in wet driving they were like you didn't have the help of AWD.

I will second this, the Bridgestones that came on my Forester (Dueler H/L 400???) were horrifying in very light snow. I read similar reviews for the tires that came on my daughter's Impreza and we put General RT43 T rated tires one it a few days after we bought it.
I think Subaru is making a huge mistake putting such crummy all seasons on their new cars, I'm sure they are gas mileage optimized but they are terrible for the bad weather conditions that people tend to buy AWD Subarus for.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
At least the brand stayed consistent.
Maybe time to talk about GY blimp?

Krzys

Once [censored], always [censored]?

Originally Posted By: krzyss
At least the brand stayed consistent.
Maybe time to talk about GY blimp?

Krzys

I flew a Goodyear blimp … it was an interesting aircraft …

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Tell that to nokian. their AT tire is an all-weather tire.

Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back