Will you ever buy a new car again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

They way most people take care of cars these days, not a chance I want some neglected POS. Only new for me, but I keep them for a long, long time.

This x1000

x 1001 Unless I know the person and the car, a used car is a going to be a real tough sell to me.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Funny OP mentions buying one new and leasing 4-5. If you focus only on monthly payments and plan only keeping the vehicle for the length of the loan, then yes, buying new doesn't make sense. Leasing doesn't make sense either if one talks about how expensive new vehicles are, implying that cost is a factor.
If that's the case, in the cost per mile basis, buying new and keeping it for 10-15 years beats leasing ahnds down.

I often get bored with a vehicle after about 3 years.

Then why complain about vehicles getting expensive?

It really depends. Our 14.5 Camry was $10K less than a new one w/o sales. However, with financing and rebates the prices were much closer. However, we did not qualify for the 0% financing through Toyota Financial Services, which required a 780+ credit score at that time, if I remember correctly. Since the car was also 3 years old at the time of purchase, the majority depreciation had already occurred. It was a lease, had all records of maintenance at 3K intervals, and was in perfect shape. As mentioned by someone else, a vehicle like a 4Runner holds its value so well that they do not depreciate quickly, and they will generally sell fast. Therefore the savings of buying new versus used is next to nothing, so just buy it new. Some incentives actually make it worth it to buy new over used though. For instance, my grandfather purchased a new Cadillac XTS. He has never purchased new cars, but the Caddy was identically priced to the Buick LaCrosse, which they already had, and the Caddy came with free maintenance for 5 years if I remember correctly. Both of my grandparents agreed that it was a better purchase, and they are somewhat frugal despite the choice in car. Also as mentioned earlier, you can generally negotiate the price of a new car a bit more and have a greater chance of rebates/incentives.

No. I've had the pleasure. First new car was destroyed in a rear-end collision 3 months after it was paid off. I learned my lesson.

Bought another new one because I resented the loss and am still driving it.

Once it was paid I off I went on a campaign to stay out of debt.

Fewer and fewer cars are built the way I would want mine anyway: minimal options and with few standard electronic doo-dads [which I will never use], minimal consoles, designed for ease of service, no exotic tech [CVTs,turbos,automated manuals, direct injection].

Even the most modest car has upscale pretensions currently. One that I have been interested in has a digital speedo but no temperature gauge ! [censored] ?

Though given my minimalist take on motoring, a Mitsubishi Mirage seems like it would be just the ticket. I actually went to look at one when a new Mitsu dealer opened in my area. If a Checker [my spirit vehicle, I guess] were available, or Saturn S Series, I could be tempted.

But that sort of vehicle is never coming back, so I can save my money and maintain what I have.

I was, however, tempted to trade for a 3 year old Ford Ranger: 5 speed manual, four cylinder, bench seat, no console, crank windows and rubber flooring. It hit all the buttons and I am not into trucks, but it's purpose built quality seemed right up my alley.

Last edited:
The closest I will get to new, from this point forward, would be CPO. The savings are not what I would call huge over the new models, but they are a few thousand less, and I keep vehicles so long, 1-3 years off the life of the car is very little--I can still drive a 3 yo vehicle many miles & years. So I'll take a few thousand off the new price, for a car still in warranty, and drive it until it falls apart.

That would be for wifey's car. The Civic, I bought as my dd, in 2005, for 4900, when it had 80,000 miles. I would have no problem paying that much for another Civic or Corolla/Yaris, several years old, for much less than the new price, out of warranty, when it is time to replace the one I have now. Even if you factor in a major repair that you didn't expect, it still would make sense financially, for me to have bought used. The price per mile on my Civic will be ridiculously low by the time I decide to junk it, at 250-300K.

Nope
smile.gif

Buying a used car/truck is the first round of recycling. It is the extended use of the materials reducing the impacts of new materials extraction.

And, besides, all the cool car/trucks I'm interested in are already here. The new gizmo's and designs leave me mostly uninterested ...
frown.gif

Last edited:
Short answer - yes. Longer answer - if one can afford it and desires it, why not? You only live once, so enjoy the time you have. Far too many people scrimp and do without for the tomorrow which never comes.

I haven't since 1993, so unless the car market changes drastically I'm going to say "no." Its just not financially sound, at least not when SO many cars are available 6 mos to 1 year old and under 10,000 miles because people bought them and then realized they couldn't afford them, and then had to sacrifice them after absorbing the insane depreciation that occurs the instant they drove off the dealer lot the first time. I think our economy would be better off if people didn't make decisions like that, but since whether I do or don't buy slightly used cars won't deter others' bad decisions, I'm more than happy to take advantage. :)

I bought my truck new, but gas was $3.50 and I got a decent deal; not likely to find good prices on a truck now. Cars, on the other hand, I have bought used for the past 10+ years. Someone took a $10,000 beating when they traded the Challenger I'm driving now. I got a decent deal on it. It's basically a loaded 5.7 R/T Shaker that I paid less for than a base model R/T would have cost new. I just couldn't pass it up. I do get bored with some cars after a few years like someone else mentioned, but this time I got something that's not boring to begin with.

Probably not, not because I cannot afford it, but it is getting really hard to find a car with port fuel injected engine.

I will not buy a car with DI engine.

My new cars had 10 and 8 thousand miles on them. New enough, and depreciated enough. Hoping to never buy from dealerships again though.
Originally Posted By: dgunay
Probably not, not because I cannot afford it, but it is getting really hard to find a car with port fuel injected engine.

I will not buy a car with DI engine.

Just buy a car with both, there are enough cars to choose from in that category.

I used to buy all of my Corvettes used, because after 4 or 5 years they would drop in price to half the cost of a new one. But this time around it wasn't happening with the C7, the used prices here are holding their value so much that I actually ended up paying LESS for my new 2018 (granted, I did get more than 10% off MSRP thanks to a GM employee discount) And I'm so glad I was able to factory order this car exactly how I wanted it, as I really wasn't finding suitable cars on the used car market anyhow, they either had too many options or the wrong color combo. I really wanted bright red with a light gray interior and that's a super rare combo.

When we buy cars to replace our BMW and Honda though, I would continue the trend of buying a 4-5 year old used one. Something that's half the price of new but with less than 50k on it if possible.

I probably would buy a new car if I needed one. They cost less to own than a Horse.

I will probably never buy a new car. I'd rather put money into toys, hunts, and vacations. As long as my trucks get me where I want to go, I keep them and let the Jones' keep the big car payments. I haven't had a car payment in over 12 years, and that has let me have fun doing other things.
Besides, where I live, it's either eternal road construction or salt on the roads so keeping a new car new is basically impossible. The only way a new car stays new around here is if it's kept in the garage and never driven.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Funny OP mentions buying one new and leasing 4-5. If you focus only on monthly payments and plan only keeping the vehicle for the length of the loan, then yes, buying new doesn't make sense. Leasing doesn't make sense either if one talks about how expensive new vehicles are, implying that cost is a factor.
If that's the case, in the cost per mile basis, buying new and keeping it for 10-15 years beats leasing ahnds down.

I often get bored with a vehicle after about 3 years.

Buy more exciting cars.
wink.gif

Also, could not have bought my 1er used. It was the only one built exactly like it.

Last edited:
Yep. Having worked on consumer cars in the past, I've seen how most vehicles are neglected. And, I like being the original owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back