Will Subway restaurants be around in 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been in a Subway in years and don't care if they go belly up. Same with Burger King. Like eating a piece of cardboard. And the manager's yelling at the drive-thru help never stops. Total chaos.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
And the manager's yelling at the drive-thru help never stops. Total chaos.

I had a bad migraine one day and stopped at a Dunkin to get a coffee, hoping the caffeine would help a bit for my ride home. Apparently the drive-thru guy messed up the order for the car in front of me. They were there quite a while. I pull up to the window to get my coffee with cash in hand and the manager is literally screaming at the employee right next to the window. I lost it. Basically gave him a "[censored] are you doing yelling at employees next to the drive thru?" type of statement. I think he was surprised that a customer yelled at him, but I was having a bad day, my head was spitting, and I really didn't need that. It was also extremely unprofessional. Go take care of your business in your dang office you fool.

I don't get why so many here disparage Subway. It's okay....not expensive, food is fresh, can get a sub with exactly what you want on it, service is fast, and it's a little bit better alternative to McDonalds.

I've stopped eating bread and refined sugars for the most part since the last time I went to a Subway. I think I'd like to give thier "make a sub into a salad" thing and see how that is, but otherwise I've sort of lost my appetite for Subway subs.

Now... Big Kahuna at Jersey Mike's will have me falling off the keto wagon for a while. And worth it!

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I don't get why so many here disparage Subway. It's okay....not expensive, food is fresh, can get a sub with exactly what you want on it, service is fast, and it's a little bit better alternative to McDonalds.

I always prefer Subway to McDonalds, Burger King, etc. When I go to subway I usually get a BLT or turkey/roast beef with lettuce, tomato and other veggies, so it seems pretty fresh to me. I don't eat out too often though.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I always prefer Subway to McDonalds, Burger King, etc. When I go to subway I usually get a BLT or turkey/roast beef with lettuce, tomato and other veggies, so it seems pretty fresh to me. I don't eat out too often though.

Yes....exactly. It's just a decent alternative. That's all. Not meant to be fine cuisine or a New York, family ran deli.

Yes....exactly. It's just a decent alternative. That's all. Not meant to be fine cuisine or a New York, family ran deli.

I don't think that's the point.

The point is that the quality hit a serious decline at some point in the last 10-15 years.

I can eat at subway.

I cannot stomach McDonald's, Burger King, or Taco Bell.
Jack in the box is even worse......

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

The point is that the quality hit a serious decline at some point in the last 10-15 years.

I think that can be said for many things, not just Subway unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

I don't think that's the point.

Okay....but to have noticed that I would have to have been eating there frequently for all that time. I certainly do not and thus, have not noticed any decline.

“The point is that the quality hit a serious decline at some point in the last 10-15 years.“

Exactly. I can remember when the bread tasted like bread. Now as a previous comment said best, it doesn’t matter which bread you choose, they all taste the same. It’s the same with the meats. Turkey ham instead of real, turkey salami, and etc. One needs the salt and pepper plus the oil and vinegar to get some kind of flavor out of the sandwich.

“I think that can be said for many things, not just Subway unfortunately.”

Dittos. Not only is the taste not the same but portion sizes have shrunk while prices have gone up. Pricing a Jimmy Johns or a Jersey Mike’s sandwich will put you over $10 easily for a better sandwich. At some point it becomes cheaper to buy baguettes for a buck a pop and buy your own meats and cheeses. Then you know the quality and likely save some money in the process. It won’t be fast food anymore but if you wait ten minutes in line you can make your own in less time.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
How's McDonald's still around? There are so many better sandwich and burger places that have popped up recently that I think they've lost relevance.

The resturant business is many times a real estate business that sells hamburgers. McDonald's is not just in the hamburger business they are also in the real estate business. They own locations at the highest traffic intersections in nearly every American town. When your business is in the best locations you automatically get large amounts of traffic due to convenience to the customer.

Its way more typical to see a McDonald's at a busy intersection than a BK or similar chain. The best real estate locations and marketing keep McDonald's lines long.

As for Subway they arent going anywhere anytime soon. They are a good alternative to the burger chains. As someone who spends a lot of time on the road for work I eat there a few times a month and its decent. Basically i choose it over BK or Mcds because i can actually get a vegetable there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Don’t know about Hardee’s but Burger King has the worst fries, ever since they started that batter process. I’ll bet that is most of their problem.

IMO their fries are fine. However their food has a certain oily flavor that is not there in McD, especially their breakfast stuff. I think it has to do with their food having a different grade of ingredient or cooking process that makes it taste like that. The HQ also doesn't monitor and enforce standard as good as McD. Frequently you see non uniformed staff and tables never cleaned, floor never sweeped in a BK. In McD this tends to happen less often.

Jack in the Box is the worst in this regard.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
The resturant business is many times a real estate business that sells hamburgers. McDonald's is not just in the hamburger business they are also in the real estate business. They own locations at the highest traffic intersections in nearly every American town. When your business is in the best locations you automatically get large amounts of traffic due to convenience to the customer.

Its way more typical to see a McDonald's at a busy intersection than a BK or similar chain. The best real estate locations and marketing keep McDonald's lines long.

McD screen their franchisee to much higher standard than, places like Jack in the Box. Last time I heard they need you to be at least a millionaire before they'll let you open a McD franchise.

Regarding to being a real estate business, Starbucks is the best example of this. They'd be in every possible cafe spot, some even two across the street from each other, so you cannot find any competition.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Has anyone beed to The Habit burger place ?

Very delicious grilled burgers and chicken sandwiches.

The Habit was started in Isla Vista. I go there very often as well as In N Out. Can't go too often or I get burned out. There is a little off the wall restaurant in Goleta that has all the same food as Habit, it is owned by one of the owners of Habit.

I go to the one by my parent's place if I don't want to bear the In-N-Out lines. For mass-market burgers, they're really good. One of their lemonades is pretty addicting.

I don't crave Subway(or Jimmy John's/Jersey Mike's/etc), last time I stepped foot in one was 2 years ago in South Lake Tahoe for breakfast. I remember Subway baking their bread, being generous with their condiments(I always asked for extra mayo for some reason) and the weird way they made sandwiches. Now, not as much anymore. Although I do get an Italian BMT very occasionally.

Subway Closes 909 Stores In 2017: It's The "Beginning Of A Crisis"

Quote:
Earlier this year, we reported that in its 52-years of operation sandwich chain Subway - for the first time ever - contracted in 2016, closing 359 U.S. locations. Bloomberg described the situation as the “biggest retrenchment in the history of the restaurant chain” whose total store count dropped 1.3% from 27,103 in 2015 to 26,744, while the company failed to keep up with the latest fast-food eatery trends

“Subway is in the midst of a massive transformation, and change of this size takes time,” a representative for the company told Business Insider. “Our goal is to strengthen the Subway brand in every market around the world to give Subway franchisees the greatest opportunity to successfully grow their businesses.”

Confirming that Subway has indeed peaked in its 5 decades-long business cycle, even as management desperately attempts to engineer a soft landing, a Subway representative said that another 909 locations have been closed in 2017, representing more than 3% of the chain’s 2016 U.S. stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back