Will Subway restaurants be around in 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Fast food isn't really food.

Yes it is. It's calories. That's food. You just don't care for it.

Being on the road for decades in my working life, I ate a LOT of fast food. If it was not food, I'd have starved. I did not. So I know it's food.

I'll grant you it may not be good food. My wife has a registered culinary garden and we know plenty of foodies and wine snobs, etc. But it all has it's place ...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow

not sure what has happened to the bread, but it tastes a bit funny...PLUS there's a lot of it...

Just google search this: " wood based cellulose bread "

I eat at subway mb once year if we are on a road trip and nothing else is available.

Otherwise for a small sub I typically go to potbellys for a Wreck on wheat.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

not sure what has happened to the bread, but it tastes a bit funny...PLUS there's a lot of it...

A very good source of fiber.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
How's McDonald's still around? There are so many better sandwich and burger places that have popped up recently that I think they've lost relevance.

Name recognition and convenience.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Has anyone beed to The Habit burger place ?

Very delicious grilled burgers and chicken sandwiches.

The Habit was started in Isla Vista. I go there very often as well as In N Out. Can't go too often or I get burned out. There is a little off the wall restaurant in Goleta that has all the same food as Habit, it is owned by one of the owners of Habit.

I didn't read every reply, but the thing I notice about Subway, is that all their meats seem to have the same (bland) taste.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I didn't read every reply, but the thing I notice about Subway, is that all their meats seem to have the same (bland) taste.

It does, plus their shady reason for pulling the Gibbs sponsorship was lame.

Was Subway ever good? It was just perceived as the "healthier" alternative to McDonald's.

That's the way I look at Subway...it's just not as bad for you as the other fast food places...

I recently saw that the closest sandwich shop to my residence, a Subway, will soon become a Jersey Mike's.

Previously, If I really wanted a sandwich, I would have driven the extra distance for a Jersey Mikes and paid the significantly higher price.

Mostly as their Italian, is fairly close in flavor, to the Italian Hoagies I grew up on in NJ, and they never dare to ask if I want mayo on it. Freaking despise Mayo with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns.

Subway's 'Italian' was pathetic, but I did like i could get spinach instead of iceberg lettuce.

I will not care if Subway disappears. The last one I tried to go into, I walked out of before placing an order, as the workers were appearing to be extremely busy, but the line never moved in the ten minutes I waited. The Line at Mike's moves fairly quickly.

Am visiting Florida currently. A Boar's Head Publix Italian on multigrain blows away Jersey Mike's at half the price. Even the Non Boar's head meats Italian beats Jersey Mikes, but IN California Jersey Mikes is the best Italian hoagie I can find. I visit maybee 5 times a year. Their cheese steak also comes closest to anything I could find in Philadelphia, which sets the standard.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

That was the rumor about Wonder bread way back 30-40 years ago. Gawd awful stuff. No taste.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Yep it’s all the same turkey-chicken-whatever comes in dead junk that is everywhere.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
How's McDonald's still around? There are so many better sandwich and burger places that have popped up recently that I think they've lost relevance.

Well you going to have to ask Hardee's and Burger King why Mcdonald's drive thru is always busy, while they only have one customer ever so often!

I went to Subway for lunch during my lunchbreak today. Had the Italian BMT. It was pretty good. I also like the tuna salad.

Like others, I also have wondered why it seems like Subway used to be a lot better 20-25 years ago. Hard to put my finger on it, but I think the bread did used to be better. Seems like it doesn't smell like fresh-baked bread in there anymore like it did when I was a kid (I'm 38). Also, maybe what someone else said about the fact that they used to use very thin-sliced meats and pile them on the sandwich.

Now, this doesn't affect taste, really, but they used to cut the break like a boat instead of just cutting it in half like they do now. That made it feel kinda special; like you were sorta getting something you couldn't make yourself, at home. I think it's representative of a general decline in attention to detail in the food and food prep at Subway, and it's definitely affected the quality of the food.

They're all owned by Indian immigrants in Tennessee, also, and I've definitely noticed stingyness with the meats and toppings on occasion. I'm one who likes my sandwiches piled high with veggies, and I often have to ask them for more.

Other businesses owned almost exclusively by Indian immigrants in the south: Dunkin Donuts and small motels.

I prefer Jersey Mike's or Quizno's (with JJ coming in a distant 3rd), but Subway is usually much more convenient.

I too went to Subway for lunch yesterday and got 2 foot long for a family of 4 (2 adults 2 toddlers).

The meatball and rotisserie chicken was not bad, but we went hungry very quickly. The business was very good as the area has all sorts of overpriced restaurants and this one Subway with no competition on the low end.

Food in general has gone down in quality in America, with all the productivity gain on the quantity the quality went down, unless you pay a premium. I remember McDonald's prices has not increased much since I was a kid (maybe 50% over 30 years?) while the rest of the cost goes up. Now burgers are microwaved and McChicken meat has more fillers than chicken. With those Smart phone app coupons I'd be surprise if they make money on me. Can't blame them for cutting quality.

Franchisee is easy for immigrants, you put in the labor and it is your businesses. This is similar to why most uber drivers are immigrants. Lighter skin, more educated native born citizens have a lot better choices with higher pay.

Going by the comments in the recent Subway thread that was deleted and now in this thread as well, many people on here seem to be spoiled when it comes to food and restaurants.

I don't eat out that often, and when it comes to lunch, I usually just pack my lunch for work. It's easier and less expensive that way.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

Well you going to have to ask Hardee's and Burger King why Mcdonald's drive thru is always busy, while they only have one customer ever so often!

Don’t know about Hardee’s but Burger King has the worst fries, ever since they started that batter process. I’ll bet that is most of their problem.

“Franchisee is easy for immigrants, you put in the labor and it is your businesses. This is similar to why most uber drivers are immigrants. Lighter skin, more educated native born citizens have a lot better choices with higher pay.”

A lot of immigrant franchise owners hire family for the labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back